Are you in pain in your dreams?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sdmay3, Aug 16, 2005.

1. sdmay3

sdmay3 New Member

I was just thinking about this. I have always been a normal pain free person in my dreams until last night. I am currently going through a crisis because my doctor refused to give me anything else for pain because there was no diagnostic test backing up why I am in so much pain. He is sending me to a pain doc. On top of the fibro I have severe spinal pain.

In my dream last night I hurt so bad I was on the floor in tears, My husband was on the phone calling everyone from the yellow pages trying to get help for my pain and everyone was turning him down. Then I was at a pool and someone poured cold water all over me. Cold water is excruciating to my skin. It feels like I am being stabbed. Then the pool broke and it was sinking and we had to climb up this thing (I really can't describe it) but it required lots of muscle and strength which I do not have. I had to have a man and woman help me out.

I fel like I am really losing my mind having dreams like this. I just wondered if I am the only one!

Dawn
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

No, you are not the only one. Up until a year ago, I was normal in my dreams. Now when I dream, I am often in pain or I am sometimes in my scooter (we bought a scooter in December). So even in my dreams now I am a disabled person!

Ellen

P.S. Sometimes when I am in pain in my dreams, I have woke up soon afterward and really was in pain.
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Not once, hopefully not ever. I occasionally have nightmares, but everyone does. the only time I had nightmares ALOT was in the worst emotional period of my life dealing w/ xboyfriend and past abuse issues. that was brutal, but I went to therapy, and healed.

those sound like terrible nightmares you guys are having. Most of my dreams are gibberishy and commical to tell Ron, if I remember. I get erotic ones sometimes (not as often as I'd like) and I'm definitely feeling no pain. You guys must have some terrible emotional issues and unresolved fears about your illness.

I do get a reoccuring dream that I'm flying or trying to fly, but I keep sinking and losing my ability to lift off. That one seems obvious. When I was really broke and fighting w/ disability, I'd get dreams of finding money, very pleasant, but disappointing when I awoke, broke, still.

And i had one big issue that haunted and guilt tripped me, about not being able to finish my last course. I'd keep dreaming I was going to college, but starting skipping, and getting so behind it was getting hopeless to get caught up. I'd try and find my locker to get my books but couldn't, etc. Those were easy to figure out too, but harder to sort out and set myself free of limitations I couldn't help.

YOu ever watch Dr. Phil? About negative tapes we play in our mind and how we have to reprogram them so they tell us positive stuff.

Jeanne
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

That's the only place I'm NOT in pain. In my dreams I am the athlete I was 30 years ago, running, playing tennis and basketball, and swimming, hiking, climbing mountains.

It is very disheartening to wake up and realize that is all past, now.

Michelle
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have had extremely painful dreams, sometimes wake up in pain, sometimes it's gone when I wake up.

Most of the time when I have dream pain I am trying to get to my late husband and he is on a hill or the top of a cliff or up a long flight of stairs and I am walking and my legs are like lead and so painful I can bearly lift them. I'm panicked because I know he's there and he's alive and I just can't get to him. If I don't get to him he will be gone again. It's horrible. He's been gone more than 10 years and I still have these dreams.

Sleep meds don't help and pain meds only help the pain once I wake up. They don't seem to work for dream pain. Maybe I can find some dream pain pills! Ok, I'm dreaming!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Your plight is really touching. Im sorry you lost your husband, it seems like you really long to be w/ him and it's coming out in your dreams.

It's very sad, but it's also very cute that you have such a good sense of humour about it.

Jeanne
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

You were in the water, sinking, but it broke and with the help of others you were able to escape.

Don't forget, we dream what we have been preoccupied with. Like the other poster said, we have to reprogram our negative thoughts to positive ones.

8. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Not every time but often enough.

The dreams I hate worst are about bugs biting my legs.

One time it was true. I was dreaming the bug bite dream and woke to find a wood tick in my bed {I was in a motel}.

Any way the tick was crawling up the inside of my leg.

I caught the thing before it bit me.

You know the old saying, sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!! For now Denamay
  9. DPgirl

DPgirl New Member

I've always been an optimistic dreamer -- no deaths, no bad guys ever catch me, etc. But lately when I'm hurting, the pain comes through in my dreams. It's sorta like when your alarm goes off in the morning and whatever song is playing gets incorporated into your dream. One night I dreamed that I was pregnant and in labor -- woke up with sciatic nerve pain. Both times I was pregnant it would give me fits, so I guess the pain translated into that in my dream. Lately if I've had weird dreams, I usually wake up something hurting. Of course, I don't really sleep that much at night anymore.....Pam
  10. Diagoras

Diagoras New Member

Once when I was perfectly healthy, I had a dream I got bit by a snake and I could feel the pain in my dream. So it's perfectly normal, although if you are having frequent nightmares that can be a problem. If so, the stress of dealing with a doctor who won't give you enough pain meds might be causing the nightmares.
  11. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

panic from my dream. I dream VERY vividly; sometimes I ask my husband if certain things happened. Very rarely do I ask him that, but I do dream with pain etc. sometimes.

If you have a bad dream, you may be all tensed up and once you wake up, you then have the capability to release "mental capacity". Once you do, then you may feel the pain come on.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/17/2005]
  12. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I wake frequently during the night thinking something or someone is trying to do things to me and I dream it too, I defo think it the pain creating it.

Needless to say, my sleep is very unrefreshing.
  13. sues1

sues1 New Member

I wake up thinking I am being bite or under attack.....and it is "Just" the shooting sharp pains in some part of my body.

My earliest memory along this line:

I was in grade school and watched a crime show before going to bed. I awoke during the night hitting and crying, I thought a robber was on top of me trying to strangle me.
    It was my pillow that I had pulled over my face while I slept. I was fighting with a pillow!

The mind can create many things! On repeat dreams, before you go to sleep think of a happy ending, slowly over time you can change that dream as you are programing your mind.
    Then when it no longer has any threats, you stop dreaming them.
    But my pain dreams are always different so I can not seem to change them. Blessings
  14. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I have CFS. In my dreams sometimes I'm standing up in a crowd of people, all happy, having a party. Then suddenly I go weak and sink to the floor half-awake, and no one knows what to do with me. Or I dream that I think I'm feeling better and I've gone back to school. But then I get mixed up or lost and can't do any of the work, and I realize that I just can't do it.

When I first had to give up most foods, I would dream that I was eating them, cake, pizza, whatever. It was SO vivid! Now I still see the food in my dreams sometimes, but even dreaming I 'know' I can't eat it and I have to pass it up.