Are you "in touch" with your inner purse?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Oct 24, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Okay, this might sound a like a crazy question but my purse probably weighs as much as a bowling ball. I'm afraid I might hurt someone. How do men do it?

I need help weaning myself from my purse or to be able to downsize. I know I do not need to keep my camera plus the camera's charger as well as that stick like thing that checks the pressure in your tires. I could keep that in the car.

ETA As a former teacher I just realized there are no stupid questions nor stupid answers, relatively speaking on the latter.

What do you have in your purse at this very moment? I will come back later and post the contents of my purse but frankly am so foggy right now, I am not sure I can find it. [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2009]

LEFTYGG Member

my purse is flat checkbook credit cards lipstick pen and house key. im so boring love gail
  3. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

You sound like my sis. We've always joked that she carries everything AND the kitchen sink in her purse!A funny story,last year @ my nephew's wedding,I sat behind my sister.I noticed that she was carrying a "little" clutch purse.I thiught that was really a stretch for her to carry such a small purse. Well,no worries @ the end of the ceremony,as she was leaving,out from underneath the pew she pulls out her usual enormous purse!!Guess the other was just for show! As for me I like those "Barrel"style purses,everthing is accessable,phone,keys,address book,wallet and a little make up is all I carry~~~Jeanne
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

This post really made me crack up! I have so much in my purse at times, it's ridiculous. My wallet, seperate change purse,water bottle, phone, huge make-up case, umbrella, hair spray, a copy of Reader's Digest so I always have something to read, package of tissues, a small zip-loc bag of mints, pens, memory sticks, etc. You get the picture. I also change my handbags alot, so I do straighten my bag out at least once or twice a week. One day recently, I went to the chiropractor for an adjustment, and afterward he picked up my satchel handbag to hand to me as he walked me to the door. He laughingly said, "Maybe your neck and shoulder would feel better if you gave up your bag of bricks." Ha! Ha!

This also remenided me of another story. Years ago, I was not as neat with my bag as I am now and had a tendency to just shove my money into the bag. One day this really idiotic, creepy guy I worked with came up to my desk and asked me if I had change of a twenty. I said yes, and proceeded to fish it out of my bag. I had a five here, and a single there, and eventually had to dump out the complete contents of my bag onto the desk to find the rest of the change. As I was doing this, he became increasingly nasty and exasperated, and said in a smarta** loud voice for everyone to hear,"If you were my wife, I'd freaking kill you." Without missing a beat, I said for everyone to hear, "No, you wouldn't have to do that, because if I was ever married to you, I would have killed myself already." He skulked away with his red face and his change, and my girlfriends and I had a really good laugh, all because of my messy pocketbook!!!

5. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

One of the things I love about using a walker and/or electric scooter for mobility is that these devices are equipped with baskets. That means I can pack a light purse (wallet, comb, bus tickets, lipstick, a few odds and ends) and then carry my larger items (water bottle, novel, pens & note-book, reading glasses, etc.) in my basket. My purse, larger items and any other items (for example, gifts, purchases, etc,) all fit in my basket so I needn't carry a thing. Lovely!

God bless,
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Neat Thread!,,,love all your purse stories!,,,,somehow i'm down to a clutch size wallet for everyday errands ,,,,,,But yes i continue to buy purses and have a passle of them in the closet,,,,The only time i really load one up is if i'm going out of town ,,,,,Then yes it's loaded for bear!,,lolol

Laura~ have you seen those purse organizers that you can transfer from purse to purse without messing everything up?,,,Can't think of what they are called but they are a circular shape with lots of different pockets and no top or bottom to it,,,,,,,,,,,S
  7. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

It's a vera Bradley little tiny purse like thing with a window in the front for driver's license. behind it is my main and only credit card. Then my Medicare, Drug supplement card, and any card I might really need in an emergency. i just switch it from purse to purse.!!! Wonderful.

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You know what Iago said to Othello. "Who steals my purse steals trash..."
    And possibly an air pressure gauge as well.

I used to carry a purse, but had so much trouble getting it matched with
    my shoes, that now I leave it and the kitchen sink at home.

Just rely on two pockets. One has bills and plastic cards. The other has
    coins and keys.

Historical footnote: In the 1940s my mother had a charge card. Something
    pretty new-fangled in those days. It was made of cardboard and was only
    good at one store.

ETA another historical footnote. Remember those plastic coin purses about
    the size and shape of an egg? Haven't seen one for about half a century.
    If you go here, you can see one.

[This Message was Edited on 10/28/2009]
  9. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about this, but it is a funny purse story.

Almost twenty years ago, I had a great looking taupe Coach bag which my husband had selected and purchased for me as a Christmas gift. I was very fond of this bag, and used it daily. Well, one day, I was in a super hurry, and I actually drove over the bag when it flew off the roof of the car as I pulled out of the driveway (don't ask...)

Anyway, the contents of the bag werre totally crushed, but the bag was in remarkably good shape and I was able to continue using it for a long time after just a little cleaning up. An amazing testimonial to Coach I guess!!

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think I have a Coach bag. Is it the one with all the pockets to organize the purse. Well when I organize the purse, it is a mess again in about a week, LOL!!

I don't think I could afford a Coach purse but my sister gave it to me.

If I used my pockets, it would make my hips look bigger!!

Are fanny packs out of style? I used to love mine. I wonder if there is a special pocke to put little dogs in ala Paris Hilton?

Rock, are you talking about the coin purses where you squeeze the top and bottom to open it?

Oops, just saw that you posted a pic.. I am going to look at it.

11. sisland

sisland New Member

Remember the days when a womans purse was considered a weapon?,,If by chance she needed it to protect herself from an assault,,,,,all she had to do was hit the person over the head with her purse,,,,Maybe thats where the loaded down purse came from,,lol,,,,,,,,Rock~~Those little coin purse were really popular when i was a kid!,,,My gram had one,,,,

Ah' yes the Fanny pack!,,,Havn't seen that one around for awhile,,,,,Think they have been replaced with those buxton bags,,,or the cross body ones,,,,have also seen the pet roller bags,,,not in person but on tv,,,,,,
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2009]
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am showing my ignorance here but what is a Buxton bag?

If someone already answered this I may not have seen it as my purse is on my keyboard. I try to keep it close to me as possible. Someone might want to steal the tire pressure thingie.

13. sisland

sisland New Member

The buxton bags are all leather and alot smaller than a regular purse ,,,but have all these pockets in them for organization,,,,with a long shoulder strap and are supposed to leave you hands free,,,,,

If you google buxton bags and click on images it should come up!,,also they sell them on the Home Shopping Network,,,,HSN,,,,,,,I actually got one once but gave it away to one of my girls,,,,,,,Ahhh,,the saga of the purse,,,,,lololol,,,kinda fun,,,,,sis
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2009]
  14. kjade

kjade New Member

My purse contains my gigantic wallet, which is full of credit cards I don't use (that are probably expired); coupons for things I will never buy (which are probably expired); various photos, and really, no money. Although the change part is jam packed with pennies...since my kids always take the silver coins. ;)

Let's see....then there is my phone; mascara and lipstick that I don't use (probably too old to use at this point); a bottle of hairspray that no longer has the sprayer, so it is really useless; a bottle of perfume; a little photo album that is stacked with pics of all of my kids from the time they were babies to present; some gum that is probably from 1996 (ugh)....oh and about 6 bottles of pills (half of which are all expired). LOL. Why do I carry so many unneccesary things around with me everywhere?

I think it's time to clean the "junk holder"....oh and look, I just found some silver coins at the bottom of the purse, and they are CAKED with old gum or candy or something....
  15. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I actually sell purses as my second job so I have access to SO many cute purses. I used to carry the same purse forever. Now I switch out. I have learned to compartmentalize. I have some smaller makeup type bags inside so that switching out is easy. I keep all of my small things in them. I have a seperate small one for medication. I actually keep a ziploc baggie for lotion and Purell. Of course my wallet, checkbook are loose. I HAVE to have pockets - outside, but those are easy to empty to another purse.

My worst habit is tossing things in my purse, like loose papers, receipts, change etc. I have purses in my closet that I could go through an probably find treasures in!

I could never carry a small purse. I've tried to downsize and all I do is load it to the brim.
  16. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Do not wear a fanny pack! They are out!

I'm a minimalist. I do not understand the fasination with big purses. I have a smal "SAK" with is really cute. I have a larger black purse which seems to be a bit better in size but I usually use my SAK because of the size and color.

I do not understand the reason people are attracted to extremely expensive purses.

Oh, so anyway my purse has my cell phone, my wallet, hand sanitizer, gum, small make-up bag and cards that say 'My child has autism, blah blah blah" in case there is a judgemental person staring at us!

So what is cool? Coach and what else. Maybe I should ask for a coach for my B-day;)