Are you prepared for a challenge?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, May 7, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have been trying to do this and I just can't seem to write a good one.

You know how spell check can give you really strange options? I am so brain dead right now I can't think of an example.

Try to write a short paragraph (s)which you edited with spell check and you just accepted what the spell check suggests. Then if you want put what the paragraph(s) meant to say. The words that are substituted have to be real spell check options.

Let the writing begin!!!!

ETA. You could just list words that come up with funny suggestions. That might be easier.

I just thought of an example. When I type in fibro it comes up with fibroid as one of the suggestions.

[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2009]
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Here's the first stanza of 'Jabberwocky' (by Lewis Carroll):

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

And here's the 'corrected' version:

Twos broiling, and the slushy toes
    Did gyre and gamble in the wave;
    All missy were the boogies,
    And the mime rats outrage.

There were multiple suggestions for many, so I chose the ones I liked the best. My favorite line is:

"All missy were the boogies"!

[This Message was Edited on 05/08/2009]
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Hysterical!! I never thought of poetry. Names of medication, medical terms, other professional terms, abbreviations, I am sure there are other categories, will give you these weird substitutions.

I realized after I posted this, actually after a good night's sleep, that this happens to me a lot because I am such an awful speller. So if you spell everything correctly, the spell checker may not give you all these strange suggestions.

Though I am a good reader, when I was growing up the way we learned to read was by drawing a box around each word. I never learned phonics until I taught it. Ergo, bad speller even though I could memorize the spelling tests. But I digress.

Phonics is an oxymoron as it should be spelled foniks. Strange but true.