Are you tired of it too?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jennypee, Nov 16, 2005.

1. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I was wondering if anyone has found a satisfactory response to the inevitable question every sick person is asked, "how are you feeling?"

Back when I was semi-normal, I was honest when the question was asked by someone close to me. I figured they really wanted to know. Now, because the truthful answer is always negative and no one wants to be around a sad-sorry-sack-of-sick-hag ALL the time, I lie.

I say I'm fine to the people who I love but I know won't recognize that I'm lying. Really only my sister and sometimes my husband can tell I'm lying.

Now I realize that's not the best way to handle it either. If I'm fine then why am I not working and always laying around my house while the bills and the dirt pile up?

Has anyone come up with a way to say they're not well, without inspiring pity or sadness or anything negative?

I'm usually good with this stuff, but I'm BLOCKED on this one! Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys are the best!

Jennypee
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

My boss asks me everyday.. he knows when I'm lying.. says he can see it in my eyes.. My family is immune to it I think.. You can only hear so many times I hurt.. I'm tired.. before it sounds like a broken record!!
    It just gets old.. most people say they don't feel good and they get better.. we may have good days and bad but even our good days aren't like a normal persons.. I try and pretend I'm fine.. my employees can even tell though when I'm down.. "Gee, your not your smiley self today!".. then I try and fake a smile and try to be exhuberent but frankly my act is wearing thin.. I just get so tired of no light at the end of the tunnel.. day in day out is this all we have to look forward to?? boy.. I'm depressing!!
    Gosh.. I hope someone has some better advise for you then me! lol!!
    Hugs!
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I say-as well as can be expected -and leave it at that.Linda
  4. rockinmama

rockinmama New Member

The answer I have started giving people is, "Ask me on a different day."

That way I'm not lying to them and exposing myself to being taken advantage of but I'm also not complaining to people who don't want to hear it anyway.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter what you say. People are judging you before they even ask.
  5. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

It's not fun, if I say ok to try to avoid it people decide that I'm wonderful and why can't I do things.

I say "I'm still above the dirt" the humor usually makes it easier.
  6. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Whenever I feel my worst, which is about everyday anymore...my eyes get really dark circles under them. When I was working people would say, "Are you sick? You are so black under your eyes." I got so tired of explaining that I didn't feel good but my eyes are always dark. I don't think there is a really good answer. Most days, even my family really doesn't listen if I tell them how I feel.
    Stinker56