Are you too sensitive too???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nice2meetu, Jul 15, 2006.

1. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I am so sensitive to things such as chemicals, meds, noise, lights, and now theres a new thing...others.

What I mean is that sometimes if I see something bad happening to another I feel like its happening to me also!

I also get very anxious while watching TV surgeries and anything that would potentially be painful for someone else!

Am I crazy now or what?!

Tell me I am not please!!!
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

You're not crazy just - as many of us are - sensitive. I can't watch the surgery channel either or anything that depicts another getting hurt. Watching the news is most difficult and I usually opt to read the news as it's not quite as distressing as a visual. God bless, Anne Theresa
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am definitely like this too. Especially with my AD withdrawals going on. I have had to cut WAY back on my TV watching and news reading. I will even have to ask people to stop telling me something if it is particularly disturbing.
  4. fabricaholic

fabricaholic New Member

I am super sensitive to all sorts of things also, I cant even take a new med witout having to cut it up and take a tiny tiny dose for a month and then gradually work up to what would be considered a small childs normal dose.

I am super sensitive to cold. have to have a towel to hold a bowl of icecream.

cant eat meat,poltry,fish ( super weird!) without having to take an antihystemene.

bright lights bother me (I hate summer for the bright sun light) but love it for the wormth.

sometimes I get an anxiety attack from watching an action cartoon with my grand kids just from the overstimulation of the activity. and don't bother asking how I do when I go to town..... talk about overloading the stimulation on my mind!

K... now that you think I'm a total freak I think your pritty normal for reacting the way you do.

see ya on the flip side!
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

How about cartoons for about 5 hours straight? My 10 year old grandson asked me why I always went to bed when he was here and I said its because of the cartoons, they get on my nerves really bad. If we don't have the TV on or watch something we both like, I won't go hide under the covers.

Well, we both like Cops and Law and Order. We make fun of the perps on Cops and imitate them and crack each other up. My other grandson, 3 yrs. old knows the whole routine -get on the ground!, put your hands behind your back, you're going to jail for a long time, have you been drinking? About a month ago he was doing this to his father with real handcuffs and snapped them shut and noone knew where the keys were. His wife took him up to the police station to get the handcuffs off. They didn't even ask him how he got the handcuffs. (at a garage sale).
  6. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

Thanks for the posts.

I sure wish I new how to answer each person seperately! I start to write and forget everyones name! So is there a secret to doing this?

Jake...funny stuff about the 'cuffs!

My oldest is in college for criminology now and I wasn't too happy about it. I'm worried about something bad happening to him. So I said how about forensics? He said, "Mom it YOU who likes CSI!".
  7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I'm sensitive to smells, noises, lights and so on too.
    But I find I have gotten more sensitive to what other people are going through also, especially in person.

I have to explain this, please bear with me...

About a month ago I was in the waiting room where I go for counseling, and sat down across from a lady in her late 50's early 60's.

She looked upset. I smiled at her.

Now, I have tattoos on my chest, arms and legs, and this usually discourages strangers from approaching me.

The lady asked me if I thought the counseling has helped me. She began telling about her husband being in talk therapy since their daughter died in February, she was 33, and had post-partum depression.

She continued to tell me all about their family. Her daughter left behind two-year-old twins. She's HAD to be strong since her DH fell apart.

I was called to go back for my appt, but I just had this overwhelming need to "help" this woman. It was like I could feel her pain.

So, I walked over to her, touched her arm and asked her to promise me that she will at least consider that she may need to talk to someone herself. She was grateful, smiled, and promised she would.

I walked back the hall, sat down in the office and started to cry. I have NEVER done anything like that before.
    I even apologized to the person I had the appointment with because I didn't know what had come over me!

Strange, very strange....

8. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

I am so sensitive to the things in life that most people tolerate very well. The biggest thing that bothers me is if there is a shouting car salesman on tv or a sports game on. Why do they feel the need to shout in these things? Part of this goes back to an ex who was very abusive and if he shouted I would go into an adrenaline rush immediately.

Also cant stand excessive noise, and people startle me very easily. I went to the doctor two days ago and when she touched me I jumped and shuddered. I told her this happens all the time. My poor husband cant touch me without me doing this shuddering or tremoring thing.
  9. TAM

TAM New Member

HI,

Yes i am sensitive to chemicals, meds, noise, light...
    your not alone. I really hate it when someone has strong perfume or aftershave on because it makes me so sick to my stomach and makes my headache worse.

When something bad happens to someone i get chills running threw me and i feel very bad for that person OF COARSE!

As far as watching tv surgeries i don't i stay far away from those kind of shows yuck!

So don't worry your not crazy!! Take care,

and i wish you better health and lots of happiness! TAMMY.

10. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I basically live the life of a hermit because of everything you all experience.

I'm now working with LENS neurofeedback to desensitize these overreactions. Brain chemistry is dysfunctional 7 needs to be tuned down.

Also, having Lupus, it overreacts to everything.

And, if you're an "empath", you'll be super sensitive to others behaviors & energy.

It's like being another species trying to live in a so-called "normal??" world. I so often say I think they put me on the wrong planet!!

LIGHT**********carole

11. DenialQueen

DenialQueen New Member

Overstimulation gets me the most. Radio on in the vehicle, husband and/or grandson talking, cars zooming by, etc. - winds me up tight like a rubber band ready to snap (which I sometimes do & then feel bad about).

Flourescent lights, noises, smells, almost any sensation can do me in. My vision will go wacko, vertigo, feeling wound up or panicky, instant headaches, etc.

Oh yeah.. big time hypersensitive here & I never was before this.
  12. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I too am so sensitive...like I have all the trouble of the world on my shoulders. My nerves are raw and I cry easily.

Someone on the FMS chat room told me I was empathetic.
    I guess better to have empathy than a cold heart.

God bless you all.
  13. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Hate that about myself. Life would be so much easier if I didn't care about everything so much.