Are Your Flares Consistently the Same or Different Each Time?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Jul 20, 2008.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Are your flares always, always the same or a little different each time? Do you notice a difference between a winter flare or a summer flare? And how can you possibly know where a flare begins and ends and another illness may be starting? I am frightened that so much pain and malaise is 'shloffed' off and attributed to fibro, that something greater could be missed.

At the onset of this illness, my flares were somewhat painful, and I was overcome with fog, fatigue and terrible sleep issues. The next long term cycle consisted of symptoms that revolved around chronic insomnia. I slowly resolved that. There have been other flares here and there, and I just manage. Now this phase of flares seems to be just about pain and pain only. No fatigue. Just ripping pain, costochondritis--no burn. I don't understand this.

Please, please if you read this, do post a reply!! I want to know (as I'm sure many others do) and be reassured perhaps that many of you experience flares that vary in their velocity so to speak. Thank you in advance my friends.

[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]
  2. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

flares seem to be about the same all the time. My collar bone, shoulders, spine, ribs, tailbone and hips all hurt really bad. Gives me tension headaches and make me very foggy brained. And tired, I think from the headaches. That is a bad flareup. I live with lower back pain almost everyday. and hip pain most days. At first I thought I just had a bad back from having scoliosis. I wore a back brace for 10 years. When my collar bone, ribs and shoulders starting hurting is when I went to the doctor because I was worried. Occasionally my hands and feet fall asleep pretty fast too and I have weakness in my arms. I thought I had MS but doc did a lot of testing and said it is FM>

Good Luck
  3. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

My flares can differ wildly. I feel like I have won some sort of twisted lottery.

They can vary from extreme pain, to aches to fatigue, to a mixture of all of them at varying levels.

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Truthfully when I first started reading here, I didn't know what flares were. I hurt every single day.

Some days I hurt more than others - definitely - and sometimes those more painful days last day after day. So I'm guessing that's a flare.

I just know that when I hurt, I hurt. I can't really or don't really relate to them as flares. I just say 'Man it's bad today, or I'm having a really bad week".

I went through the chronic insomnia like you did for a long long time. Thankfully that is no longer. I am sleeping fairly well - at least for me.

I wish I could answer your question more concisely. I know that if I'm having a stressful or busy day/week, I'm especially "in for it" - so a flare so to speak, doesn't surprise me. When I'm overtired, a flare doesn't surprise me. Again, I truly hurt almost every day.

5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I'm not sure about flares ~ as I've just had FM for 3 months but in that time I've had daily pain some days are a little better than other and some are absolutely awful.

I do notice on a good day little things can trigger a change and make it a bad day. Most times my right shoulder will be the first thing to hurt and after that other areas start to hurt, it's like a domino effect.

I've looked up the definition of flares and I'm honestly confused and not sure how I fit in the description.

I've had the chest achyiness for years and never new why I had it until I was diagnosed with FM.

Please know you are not alone. :)

Very gentle hugs, Susan
  6. star273

star273 New Member

I feel exactly like you. I wake up and I wonder when and if I will wake up and not be worrying if I am going to ache today? how much I am going to ache? where I am going to ache? If my IBS is going to flare up? If I am going to die? Seriously. This is crazy. I have a wonderful family, three great kids and all I can think about it this stuff. I HATE IT! I feel like I miss so much in my life because this is all I can think of. I am like you too. I wonder if every little thing I have is FM or if it is something serious. I have figured out the hard way, that you can't run to the Dr. everytime you have a different pain or symptom. It would kill us all in medical bills. I have to say in the winter I have a different achiness. Mainly in my chest, colarbone area. I am way more stiff in the winter. In the summer, I just feel exhausted and my nose is so stuffy, also I am super dizzy all the time.I have all the aces bbut its kind of different. Does anyone else have sinus troubles? I found this site about 2 weeks ago and I come here a couple times a day. I feel so much better knowing there are so many of us who struggle and who have the same symptoms. I pray every morning before I get up and before I go to bed that I can put this out of my mind and just deal with it. I know if I can do that, I can live with this. You are not alone and I know how frustrating this can be. Hang in there.
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I will be answering this post again later but just wanted to quickly post this to you; I have chronic sinus problems and I believe they were the pre-cursor to my first major flare. I've been told by my internist to return to the ENT this summer for a further evaluation because my sinuses are always inflamed.

8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

9. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

Sometimes they are mild and sometimes they are greatly debilitating. Sometimes the pain is excruciating and sometimes the fatigues is absolutely horrible. Sometimes my limbs feel like they're encased in cement. Sometimes my chest is so heavy I can't bear to sit up. Sometimes the mental fog is so bad I can't count my change at the grocery store and I have to ask the cashier to do it for me. Sometimes I have all these symptoms at the same time; I think weather changes brings them on (changing from hot to cold or cold to hot). Then sometimes I feel okay, but that's rare.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]
  10. medievaldigger

medievaldigger New Member

for me the flare ups are in two to three day increments about every 6 weeks or so...I really hate them, but I'm learning....
  11. ldoty

ldoty New Member

I feel silly asking but what is this? I am relatively new to the message board so i don't know.
  12. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Costochondritis is the pain and achyness in ones chest. For me it hurts more when I breathe.

I'd actually had that symptom for years but none of my doctors new what it was and I didn't figure it out till I found out I had FM.

you can google the word for the exact definition.

and all questions are important. Smile

gentle hugs, Susan
  13. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I always have some degree/combination of aches, pains, and fatigue, but in a flare I may have IBS, a bad headache, balance problems, very sore and stiff muscles, feelings of heaviness in my legs, sleep problems, the list goes on.

I have a good idea of what brings on flares now; some of the triggers I can prevent to a degree ("overdoing it" for example) and some I can't, like weather. Whatever form the flare takes, I just try to go with the flow and get as much extra rest and sleep as I can, gentle stretches, and avoid potentially stressful situations (like shopping at walmart, lol) and eventually I'll get back to my "normal" level of aches and fatigue.
  14. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

In the four years I've had this horrible condition, it has changed so much in intensity. I have a great deal of difficulty with humidity, whether it's hot or cold.

Some pain is aching, then there's stabbing, stiffness, burning. Since I had a head and shoulder injury in February when ice and snow from a roof fell on me, my FM has bee so much worse.

Now along with all the FM stuff, I've developed bursitis in the shoulder that was injured. I still get bouts of dizziness and nausea from the concussion. I think someone is really playing with me this year!

You know, just when I think it can't get worse it does. Strange isn't it? I've just come down with a sore throat and fever for the first time since I was diagnosed with FM. I wonder what's up with that?

Anyway, hang in there. There's so many of us with you in this fight.

All the best,

15. ldoty

ldoty New Member

Thanks for clarification. I have this as well but never related it to FM. I have told my doctor about it but he seems to be to busy to address it.
    Thank you very much
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2008]
  16. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I'm another one who does not understand flares. I've had this my whole life and there is never a day without pain. Every day I wake up and stagger to the bathroom to shower with my feet on fire and shuffling like a 90 year old.

Some days are worse than others - is that a flare? Yesterday I was so fatigued I struggled all day not to fall asleep at my desk.

I'll have bad IBS for weeks or badly aching left shoulder for weeks or worse upper back pain for weeks - many symptoms come and go, but there's never a pain free or fatigue free day. So that's why I'm confused as to what a flare is.
  17. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

I think a flare means that you feel extra worse than you usually do. I am never pain free or fatigue free. But when the symptoms keep you planted in the bed or you can't remember your birthday or you can't understand the paragraph you just read for the 4th time or your feet have been on fire for 5hrs and nothing cools them off or your ears are ringing louder than usual or you keep forgetting what you were about to say while you're in the middle of a sentence or your throat suddenly aches and you get achy all over for no apparent reason or walking from the bedroom to the kitchen tires you out so bad you forget what you went in there for, you're having a flare.
  18. butterfly616

butterfly616 New Member

Most days I experience body aches and slight fatigue. I consider it a flare when the pain and fatigue get worse. Which is what's been going on for the last couple of weeks. A flare for me turns the ache into pain and the fatigue into "totally drained".
  19. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

When they hit I'm extremely fatigued. My eyes burn as if I have the flu and my body is sore all over. I just want to crawl into bed and sleep. I haven't identified a pattern yet. I know I've suffered with this for a few years, but just got the dx last month. I think my surgery on Friday has precipated what I'm going through right now. When I'm having good days, it is hard for me to believe I'm sick. I still hurt on good days (I hurt all of the time) but I don't have that flu-ish feeling which debilitates me.