Are your tender points always tender ...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shalala, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Are your tender points always tender ... or do they vary in intensity? I notice that the knee area (even though I also have OA in them) is not always as tender. My chest is always tender but does vary in intensity of tenderness. Same with the elbow area and ankles. With my luck (actually lack of) I will not have 11 tender pts acting up on the day I see the Neuro (March 1). My DR sure was hitting them Feb. 6 & 20th. On the 20th she even commented that she was barely applying any pressure. My hips and buttocks ... oh my ... are always sore (for lack of a better discription). The PCP is not referring me to a Rheumy at this point so I am checking with my insurance to see if I have to be referred or if I can go to one on my own. In a city the size of the one I am in ... I am just amazed at the low number of Rheumy's here. They are also all clustered around OSU, and I hate driving down on campus. It is difficult for me to drive as it is. One of them does also have an eastside office so that is where I plan to go.
  2. momof471

momof471 New Member

Mine are usually always very tender. I can press them and it will send me through the roof! There is nothing like my girls accidentally hitting one on accident with an elbow or something like that! Hips are bad especially when trying to get comfortable in bed. Pressure on these tends to send pain through my legs.
  3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

me too, all 18 of them and then some, it's a real pain in the neck ( no pun intended ) I just hate this DD.

Love to you all, Ann
  4. TerryS

TerryS Member

I didn't even know I had all of those tender points until I saw my rheumatologist. He knew exactly where to touch me, and it about put me through the roof!!! Still, I cannot find them myself...it's weird.

I live in the Atlanta area and it's amazing how FEW rheumatologists there are! It took me six weeks to get an appointment with my rheumy.

Good luck!
    TerryS
  5. myjoy

myjoy New Member

I always have tender points pain, but it can vary in some areas.

It's always bad on the chest and hips. Other areas it's always there, though.

I'm surprised at your GP not sending you right on to a rheumy. Mine did as soon as she figured I had FM, this past August.
    The rheumy went back and forth between arthritis and FM, but as of January, he's sticking with FM (which I thought it was since august).

Hope you can find a good one.
    myjoy
  6. kjfms

kjfms Member

Oh yes mine are always tender but when I am in a major flare they do seem more tender. I guess that could just be a trick of my mind though because when in a flare everything seems much more intensified.

An odd thing for me -- I think any way -- when I was first diagnosed in 1998 I did not have the tender points at my elbows and now I do.

Has anyone else developed more tender points after having this DD for a while?

Thanks,

Karen :)
  7. Shalala

Shalala New Member

My elbows are really tender :-( . The ones they show on the chart for front of neck (gland area under chin) are not tender but I am extremely tender in all of the other points. I guess that is 16 of the 18 so I am pretty lucky.

I am surprised that the wrists and ankles are not included in the tender points, because I am really tender in those areas.
  8. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I still haven't heard back from my insurance company about whether or not I can go to a Rheumy on my own. I guess she could only refer me to one (?) so we went with the Neuro because of the horrendous migraines and pain in neck. Then it is on to a Rheumy I guess?

I am a little calmed down (I call it) and some of my tender points are not putting me through the roof at this moment. As someone mentioned the hips and buttocks are always hurting esp trying to get comfortable in bed. Back of neck & shoulders are still pretty bad. Chest seems to be calmed down. Of course this is just in time for my Neuro appt ... lol.

I have been reclining with moist heat pad on shoulder/back for 2 weeks while taking 2400 mgs skelaxin daily & lyrica 150 mgs daily & ambien at bedtime ... and of course my anti-depressant. I am also doing some stretching exercises and avoiding overdoing (not too hard to do in a recliner).
  9. Shalala

Shalala New Member

My neck is really bad. I am afraid that I may have DD also. Is there anything they can do about it?
  10. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Bedtime is a nightmare with the hips, buttocks, legs and of course my neck. I am on Ambien now which helps some.

I was checking out that Cuddle Ewe bed pad and OH MY ... $299 for a QS! I cannot afford that! I felt guilty buying me a new heating pad and memory foam pillow (both on sale).