Areas of pain. Anyone with similar symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Luxuria, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

Just to bring everyone up to speed:
    On Friday my dr. said she thinks I have Fibro. Not a big surprise given my family history & my pain. However, I tend to over worry and think that something really serious is wrong when really there never is.

I have had chronic headaches, neck aches, etc. for a year. I have been diagnosed with TMJ after my jaw popped during a root canal. Yuck.

Around March & April I started having pain in my left rib cage that would wax & wane and cause breathing problems. My dr. thought my asthma was unstable and gave me new meds.

Around the end of May I started having pain in my lower left front abdominal area. It started to get worse and worse as June & July approached. It would come and go and be different everyday. I wasn't able to work in a dr. appointment because when the pain started to get really annoying it was the week before my wedding. No OTC meds helped and I got by using Deep Cold gel. I constantly worried that I had an ovarian cyst, colon cancer, or ovarian/uterine cancer. Not good for my anxiety!

The abdominal pain will now wax & wane and can ache just in that one area or across my whole back and front abdominals, my stomach will ache, it can make my legs ache. The muscles feel tired and sore, when the pain is really bad it will almost burn or have some random quick jolts of pain, like a nerve spasam.

I started having chest pains as well and constantly thought I was having a heart attack. My throat will get tight too and it is hard to breathe. Sounds now like Costo. after reading Nanjee's article.

Some days I have a hard time washing my hair as I can only hold up my arms for a few seconds before I need to put them back down.

My dr. put me on 10mg of Amitriptyline for 3-4 days and then increasing to 20mg. I go back to see her in 3 weeks for a review. I dont really have any JOINT pain, just all over body pain.

Since I am such a worrier I am still in denial that Fibro really is the problem and not something more serious. The pain is the worst in my lower left back & abdominal area. I have also had the worst time sleeping the last 2 weeks but since being on the Amitrip. the last 2 nights I have been able to sleep easier.

I'm curious to know if anyone here has similar pain? I just cant get the idea of something worse than Fibro out of my head. That's anxiety for you. Fun fun fun! Haha.

Thanks for reading,

Bekah
  2. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

Hi Luxuria,

Yes, all of your the areas you mentioned and types of pain are possible with Fibromyalgia. I also worry about possibly missing some other disease because a symptom has been designated yet another fibro problem. As I study more about Fibro, I think the number of symptoms seems to be unending.

The only thing I can suggest is study on your own what your doctors say and what you feel a symptom may be. If things don't change after meds, we often have to try a different medication, or sometimes combinations of meds. I would continue to get testing if you are not comfortable with the doctor's opinion of results and get a second opinion from a rheumatologist and neurologist.

God Bless, NanaMama
  3. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Bekah,
    Hi...I've had some similar pains...some others also.
    When my pain was at it's worse and in the most places...I
    kept thinking something else was going on...

At one point I was having hip, knee, ankle, foot, breast (yes, breast!), and what felt like 'veins' that hurt in various areas....and all these pains were on my LEFT side of my body!! Then my left breast started leaking fluid and
    I had sharp pain to the touch on my ribs (All left side!!)
    Finally, my left foot got a pea-size lump on the bottom of it and I couldn't walk on it...It was hot and red and WOW,
    it really hurt...My Doctor (whom i'd seen for the umptenth
    time that month) said not to worry...no connection at all ...it just HAPPENED to be all on my left side...
    well, I did worry...but 4 steroid shots,10 pounds, a mamogram, lots of frustration and tears later...most everything has eased up for now...Crazy huh?

You know your body best though...and I know things get missed by docs often so be persistent if you're really worried. Hope you feel better soon...
    raquel
  4. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

Thanks NanaMama

I think I just worry too much sometimes. I have looked up my symptoms and what other things could be causing them (like tumors, etc) and the ONLY symtom I have of any is the adbominal pain. I think I would have more and be a lot sicker if I had something like a cancer or tumor. I mentioned it to my dr. a few times. When I was in for my headaches I said I was sure I had a tumor, and when I went in for all this pain I told her again that I'm really worried it is something very serious and both times she told me she has no reason to believe that it is. I really do over worry, I get that from my mom. We're like two peas in a pod.

I'm taking my meds and am going to try and do more exercise. She suggested gentle walking, which I do with my little puppy, but am going to go on my treadmill more (on a gentle setting of course) and she suggested a stationary bike and swimming if I can find the time to go to the pool.

Thanks for your advice. So far the 2 days that I have taken the Amitrip. I have noticed that the headaches are a little better than they have been for the last year so fingers crossed!

Bekah
  5. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

Thanks for your post.
    A lot of my pain started and still does happen all down my left side. When I started with the TMJ problems I had a lot of left sided pain and thought something was up with my heart just because of the side it is on. It is crazy how Fibro can mask symptoms of other things. I do not like it at all.

I go back in 3 weeks for a check up with my dr. so I will probably tell her for the 1 millionth time about my worries. I have been in to see her once or twice a month for the last 5 months! I bet she is sick of me. Haha.

Bekah
  6. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

Yes Nancy, I have thought about irritable bowel after reading it on a symptoms list. I have also thought of maybe Diverticulitis. My grannie has it and I talked to her the other day about my pain (she used to be a nurse) and she said it sounds a lot like what she has.

If it is IBS, I haven't figured out what irritates me or not. I am a sucker for spicy food, it is my favourite! I cant see myself giving that up ;)

I will ask my dr. again when I go back.

I appreciate all your posts and input very much.

Bekah
  7. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i agree with hayley cmp does not seem to be dx as often as it should be. it is like the dr dont even think about it but i think alot of the people on this web site suffer from cmp and fibro. charlene
  8. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies

As far as the asthma goes, I have had asthma since I was 8 years old. I only need my inhaler though when I get a really nasty cold.

I know that I do have TMJ, I went to see an oral surgeon regarding it almost a year ago. I have a splint that I wear at night because I clench and grind my teeth when I sleep. My dentist could see wear patterns on my teeth and I could definitely see it when I started wearing the splint. I actually managed to chew through it! He has ordered a harder one for me so right now I am without my splint and it is just miserable.

I really really dont like the abdominal pain at all, it makes me worry so much. I'm going to mention CMP when I go back to my dr in 3 weeks and ask again if she is sure the pain is from FM/CMP.

Any other thoughts are appreciated.

Bekah
  9. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Yes I have overall pain too with headaches, chest pain, feet, etc.

When I start having more pain on one side than the other I switch from sleeping on one side to the other.

My husband and I will usually switch sides of the bed when I feel the need.

I am now seeing a urogynecologist for abdominal pain and having to tilt to empty bladder which makes by back hurt.

I have to go on the 18th for 2 more tests since the first test didn't show I needed my bladder put in a sling.

Sometimes it never seems to stop!

Take care,
    Susan
  10. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Bekah:

I have similar symptoms and the doctor says that it is all from the fibromyalgia. He differentiates this from the spinal trouble I have: cervical disc syndrome.

Yes, two problems but they really interact in a mean way.

I try to rest, take meds, do things little by little, push on days when I can and take a full rest on other days.

I hope you get all resolved for you. I hope you see a rheumatologist because many handle this disease.

Good luck!

nyrofan
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

My pain is on the left. I also get neck and head pain and headaches. I get pain in the left shoulder blade and rib and even breast. I also get pain down the left flank and into the top of left leg and groin.

I started with left hand pain a while back. Now I also have right hand pain.

So I wanted to let you know I think this is very much fibro stuff or connective tissue disease, either / or both.

I know I worry about the same stuff.

I also have had numbness left head and face and vertigo.

I am on a trial of zithromax to see if it helps. This is antibiotic. I have to say I am at least 50% better using it.

Love Anne
  12. Luxuria

Luxuria New Member

That is really interesting cromwell, taking Zithro. for your pain. I never knew dr.s could use that for this type of thing. Zithro is my best friend when I get bronchitis which I am very prone to in the winter.

Thank you all for the wonderful replies. It makes me feel so much better being able to read all your stories and knowing that I'm not alone. I'm sorry that we all have to go through this.

Hubby and I went to the Motley Crue & Aerosmith concert last night and had a wonderful time. It really helped take my mind off things. I'm pretty sore today though but it is well worth it!

I have started taking 20mg of my meds since it had been 3 days and I had no side effects so I was able to increase. It does help me sleep but I am not seeing any help with the pain.

I really appreciate everyone being so kind and helpful, you are all really wonderful people. :) Thanks Nancy for the article, I am going to ask my dr. about it when I go for my check up. Oh, good news, I get my splint back today!! YAY!! I can't wait!

Bekah