Aricept

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by timmyb, Aug 31, 2006.

1. timmyb

timmyb New Member

1st timer to the board. my mom is in stage 2 or 3. she has just started taking Aricept. Can anyone please share any Aricept info/stories good or bad. thanks!
  2. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Timmyb...I don't have any answers for you. Just bumping to see if anyone else can help you.

Welcome to the board.

Dawn
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Timmy - my mom has dementia, but we don't think it's Alzheimers. Her doctor put her on 10 mg. Aricept about 18 months ago. My mom became very tired within a day and lost her appetite, it was like she was very sick. The doctor cut her dose in 1/2 to 5 mg. and she improved some.

She was on the 5 mg. of Aricept for 7 or 8 months, and during that time had very frequent bladder infections, at least once a month. She had been prone to them before starting the Aricept but now she was having them all the time. Additionally, she would complain that she had to pee but couldn't and felt like she was going to explode.

The urologist said that was a symptom of her dementia, feeling like she was going to explode. He inserted a catheter into her which she was to wear all the time.

I finally did some research and read all the fine print on Aricept and discovered that it can cause urinary tract blockage. The Aricept was stopped, the bladder infections stopped, no more feeling like she was going to explode, and her energy picked up. I still feel like strangling the doctor who said that it was due to dementia.

So, we had a bad experience with Aricept. I do know someone who says it has helped her husband a lot. I would just say watch your mom carefully, and read all about Aricept. 10 mg. is a high dose and many people can't tolerate that high of a dose. Watch for side effects and talk to her doctor about anything unusual you notice and then decide if she's better off with it or without it.

Mary
  4. kimkane

kimkane New Member

You might want to post this on the alzhiemers board also.

My mom as alz.

good luck, Kim