Arm and leg pain ....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Forthebirds, May 12, 2003.

1. Forthebirds

Forthebirds New Member

Hello all! I'm new to the board, but I have been reading your posts for over a year now.(You've all helped in so many ways .. Thank you!) I haven't been diagnosed with FM yet, but I have ALL the symptoms.It seems like I've been to a million doctors so far, next appointment is with a rhumatologist on the 20th of next month.
    My question is ...... I get woke up 3 or 4 times a night with arm and hand pain, feels like someone is holding my hand in a fire. Has anyone had this sorta problem? And what do you do for this?
    Thanks for all your help,
    Gayla
  2. leokat

leokat New Member

Like the name. Welcome it's nice to actually 'see' you.

Yup I get woken several times most nights with burning in my ankles and lower legs. I also get burning in my hands - but usually only after I 'overuse' them. I last got it on Sunday after I mowed the lawn.

Sadly I haven't really found much that helps. Though getting up and walking around a bit is sometimes better for me than just lying in bed. Also, I find that putting my feet out of the bedclothes so they can cool sometimes helps.

Leo.
  3. david_olenick

david_olenick New Member

mine are on the left. my shoulders feet and face burn constantly.
    do you have a pain in your right neck and shoulder?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/13/2003]
  4. Forthebirds

Forthebirds New Member

Last night it was my left arm and hand that was numb and burning .... tonight, who knows! it moves around all the time.
    Gayla
  5. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I wake up lots of nights with a crawly kind of pain in my legs and I just have to move. But I have the same thing with my arms, from the elbows down. A sort of creepy crawly feeling and I just have to move. Mine too is on both sides and I haven't found anything that helps other than moving around.

Hugs
    Annette
  6. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Yes, I have found something to help with burning pain. This seems to be a neurological pain, and Klonopin helps me with it. New information revealed through PET and SPECT scans has shown areas of the brain, and brain stem which have been affected. We also have an increase (3 times the norm) in Substance P in our spinal fluid which is a marker for Central Nervous System injury and increases pain signals. We know that the areas in FM where we are experiencing pain have no pathology of injury or inflammation. It is the nervous system and the increase of substance P which leads to our brain to perceive pain.

Klonopin has helped eliminate or ease alot of my neurological symtpoms, especially the burning pain, I use to experience.

Best wishes, LL

Oh, and Welcome to the Board

Restless Leg Syndrome---which I had in legs and arms can be helped with Klonopin, also....I am rid of it now.[This Message was Edited on 05/15/2003]