arm pain with fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pansygirl, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I'm curious about other's arm pain with fibro. At times mine is so bad it's like an achy

pain and at times it feels like I can't hold my arms up ~ anyone else feel like this?

It almost feels like my arms could just fall off my body they are so tired, does this sound
    crazy I hope not as this is how it feels.

My arms are not as strong since I've had fibro. Also just trying to carry laundry

from one room to another is very hard on my arms.

Just curious, thanks. Susan
  2. tut90

tut90 Member

my arms are so painful most of the times, it's a deep throbing pain, just folding some towels gets me exhausted. It's been less than a year that I was diagnosed with fibro and I have lost so much muscle mass in my arms, the skin is starting to sag.

3. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My right arm "goes to sleep" when I am in bed and hurts so bad I can't find where to put it to stop the pain. Also get neuropathy in my hands. One thing that makes them worse it holdinmg a magazine. My hands hurt so much if I try to do that so I put a pillow under mag. and don't hold it.

Susan-----Do you have stairs to manage when you do laundry? I have the clothes basket in the BR. I fastened an old belt to it so I don't have to carry it - just pu ll. Don't have toput clothes away until next day if I don't feel like doing it now. Hope that you can do that.

You are not alone ---there are so many things thaty appear when you have FMS.

Good Luck to you

4. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Now that summer is here, I hate to wear shortr sleeved T's as my arms are so flappy. Where are the muscles??? I wear them anyway as that's what I want for hot weather and just pretend that no one notices. So what if they do?

5. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

yes I have this problem also .. my right arm is worse I guess because I'm right handed.. but yes . just holding the phone hurts my arm. I have to switch it around .
    I use a brace on my right hand because of carpo tunnel. ( sorry spelling ) and arthritis is aggravated because of this so my Doc says.. my arm also gets a sharp pain around the elbow area.. I remember a post about this prev.
    as for laundry .. my dear husband does ours mostly .. I do have stars. and use the rail to slid the basket down on the days I do try to do this on my own. or I slid it down the stars.. mind you I can not get it back up.. I am Blessed with help from my husband . he does pretty much everything.. all I do really is cook. and he does not get that every night ether. . after work its just to much . work does me in.. I work from home on computer and only work 4 hrs take 2 off then work 4 more.. if I had to go into the office would have had to stop working a year ago.
    anyway rambling now.. but yes I have lots of pain in my arms. hands. legs, feet , back ,neck , migraines. .. God the list goes on and on..
    I best stop now.. Take care..
    Spirit .

[This Message was Edited on 06/02/2009]
  6. Doober

Doober New Member

I carry something for a long period or do repititiuos things like washing dishes (well trained domesticated husband here) or painting or anthing else that requires contant movement, my arms get severely tired and tense. Can barely move them afterwards.

When I do move or even just doing nothing sometimes, it feels as if my arm muscles are so tense, yet when I touch them and try to massage them a little, the muscles are soft and relaxed to the touch.

A lot of times it feels like the after affect of having a severe intense cramp.

The tenseness and tiredness actually go all the way to my back to just under the shoulder blade.
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Susan,
    Does this sound crazy? NOPE, I completely understand how you feel.
    My legs are definitely my worst area, but I know that if my arms start aching, it's going to be an especially bad day.

The last two days, my arms have been killing me, most specifically my left arm. It is such a deep ache, it's hard to describe. Also to let it 'hang' it very painful. I automatically use my other arm to support it.
    Mine feels like it might fall off at my shoulder, it feels so heavy and so weak.

got home from work last night and put a pillow under my arm to support it while sitting on the couch.

You're certainly not alone!
  8. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

My fibro diagnosis was last summer so it's been almost a year for me too. Although I started feeling sick on April 15, 2008.

I can relate to folding clothes and towels~ such a simple task but it not only hurts my arms
    and makes me tired too. I've learned and am still practicing to pace myself during the day.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

No stairs in our house thank goodness, I would be in bad shape if there was. I can't go up stairs very well since getting fibro.

What a great idea ~ to pull the clothes basket.....I'm going to try that~ sometimes my brain is just fuzzy and has a hard time figuring things out. smile

And putting a pillow under a book or magazine~ another great idea.

When I remember I have my husband or one of my kids carry the laundry basket for me.

My hands and feet, and arms get the numbness and tingling everyday, along with the aching pain that feels like my arms are going to fall off of their own will. :(

Sorry about your right arm~ hugs.

gentle hugs, Susan
  10. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

So glad to hear you have a husband that helps you out around the house, that is a blessing.

My hubby will help me to but since he works and I don't ~ I do what I can myself and then ask for help when he gets home.

I have a hard time cooking to. If for some reason I can't get any help with cooking for dinner I try to sit down to cut veggie or salad stuff and have been known to sit by the stove to stir
    food . But there are days when I just can't cook and won't be able to make it off the couch or bed.

Sorry to hear your dealing with carpel(spelling) tunnel and arthritis along with fibro~ hugs

I'm glad to know I'm not alone but it makes me sad that others are hurting to

gentle hugs, Susan
  11. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Hi "well trained domesticated husband" ~ That got a laugh from me in a good way.

I can relate to the repetitious movements with my hands and arms ~ if I have to vacumm and if by chance I actually have a smidgin of energy I can only vacumm for a few minutes and then I have to rest my arms and body for a minimum of 30 minutes or more before continuing. :(

Take care, Susan
  12. hi all,

i can relate to this arm pain with the fibro.

a few weeks ago id felt that i was gaining much more strength,and felt that my immune system was coping wrong i was.

about eight days after coming into contact with a teacher who had a bad cold, or the flu (he sneezed all over me).it turned out that the virus got into me and didnt leave me even after 10 days.

i had to have the doctor out to see me as i was in total fibro meltdown on day 8.i couldnt walk,lift my arms,dress and undress.i was in a very unkept state to tell the truth.thank goodness for my husbands help.

and i work part time and have built up my muscles in the arms and legs,plus stomach.but still a cold/flu virus made me now on sick leave for one week.

my doctor says that he thinks i caught a virus,and then caught another on top of the first body did seem to cope ok with the first virus,and i could feel i was getting better.

then midway through the first virus i felt such a severe sore throat again,and that must have been when the second virus got it all flared up my asthma and im now on steriods for 5 days,and a antibiotic.

this is day two of my medication and i do feel like living now,and can even walk a short distance. but lifting the arms is hard right now.

before the meds i felt i was on my way out.totally bedbound.lifeless.

dont wait 10 days while ill,before getting to the doctor out.i think ive been a bit foolish and thought i could beat the virus myself.

take care,love fran.

the meds im on for one week are..

anitibiotic..doxycycline 100 mg capsules,( two at first,then one per day thereafter).

steriod tablets...deltacortril enteric 5mg, six tablets in the morning.

i have to avoid sunlight while taking these,so its a good job im not bike riding to work this week.
  13. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Hi glad to know I'm not crazy! :)

Sorry to hear about your left arm hurting worse these past few days.

I don't have the strength to carry the smallest things. :(

And my hands are cramped up right now.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  14. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

So sorry you are so sick with two different viruses. Glad you are on some meds now
    and they are helping you feel better.

How far do you ride your bike to work?

Did you do a certain kind of exercise to strengthen your
    muscles in your arm, legs and stomach?

Hope you are feeling much better soon.

gentle hugs, susan
  15. hi there,

in answer to your question..

my bike ride to work is 10 mins there,10 mins back (3 mins of up hill riding going to work) but a nice ride back down.

to strengthen the muscles in my arms, i do a excersize daily, where i lift my arms above my head the back many depends upon how bad the fibro might be on a certain fluctuates.

i also lifted very small dumbells with my hands.then i would sit down,tie the dumbells to my ankles with a scarf.then in the sitting position i would raise up each leg in turn, and hold for a few seconds.this seemed to help my tummy too.

bike riding has helped with the tummy and buttock muscles.i first started out on a excersize bike indoors.liked using it and after the first six weeks,i decided to buy a ladies mountain bike.ive never looked back since, and i am very slim.

strangely when ive been ill with a virus,and am starting to feel a bit better, i find that i can bike ride easily,but walking takes a while to do.

take care,love fran

a few years ago when id been bedbound with the fibro,i decided to buy a excersize machine called a airwalker.

it had peddle like things, that were raised off the floor.

you would step onto the peddles,and as you walked on them these handles would move in front of you could hold onto them,this would move the arms.i found this machine a godsend in those early days of being ill.

it seemed to help straighten my back too.

i started off a few mins a day,and very gradually, worked up to 10 mins after about three months.[This Message was Edited on 06/02/2009]
  16. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Thanks for letting me know what type of exercises you do.

That's good that you can bike ride to work. I have a bike but haven't used it in a while.

I mostly walk my two dogs and usually my husband helps me with this. We have 2 fairly good sized hills on several streets in our neighborhood so that gives me a workout. smile

I would like to work on all my muscles and my tummy muscles if I could do it. Maybe in small steps I could do it depending on how I feel each day.

Hope you feel better. Hugs, Susan