Armor thyroid not available??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Aug 30, 2009.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Tried to fill mine today & the manufacturers are out of it. Anyone know anything about this, and what are you doing if you can't find yours.

Armor has been great for me for years.

Thanks for any info....................carole
  2. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

getting the armour thyroid. My mail-order called me over a month ago and said they could not get it. My doctor wrote me a script for 30 days. Walgreen only had 14 to give me. When I went to refill yesterday, or get the other 16, I got a call from pharmicist. He said he cannot find any and he suggested I call around and he did, too.

I found a CVS that had 30 left. I drove a little further to get my 16. The girl told me they keep telling them they will have them. They were told end of July, then August and now Sept. I am hoping they get them because it has worked well for me, too, the last several years.

Does anyone know what would be the best to use if Armour doesn't work out?????
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I'm now on the synthetic. Way too early to tell if it's really doing anything, but I was in worse pain with my thyroid before taking it, so I'm guessing it's helping. I'm tolerating it well. It doesn't have the weird orange dye that Synthroid has. It's just a white pill.

I did great on original Armour, but as soon as they changed the formulation, I did terrible. It was the worse crap I've taken in a long time. I'll stick with the Levo for now.
  4. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've been on Armour Thyroid since the beginning of the year. When was it reformulated? I noticed a few weeks ago that I had to increase my dosage in order to get the same results. But I love it and how it makes me feel. On Synthroid I felt a tad short of a coma.
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

But it's better than nothing at this point. We're not getting natural thyroid anymore. The FDA is shutting them down. There is no good news there. They are placing impossible demands on the manufacturers and they won't be doing it anymore. The government is forcing us on synths.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Actually Synthroid helps the body convert T4 to T3 naturally. If you are still deficient in T3, that can be added but it is usually not needed.

Pigs do not have the same ratio of T4 and T3 as humans.

ETA The "Impossible demands" means tested for safety. All meds. whether mainstream or alternative should be approved by the FDA. Maybe not a perfect organization but it does increase the odds of getting something that will really help you. Good luck!!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/30/2009]
  7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

You said, "Actually Synthroid helps the body convert T4 to T3 naturally. If you are still deficient in T3, that can be added but it is usually not needed." Where did you find this info? I'm wondering bc I have read quite a bit about thyroid stuff, but there is still a lot I don't know, and I have not found anything saying is really important to me, bc I am quite low on T3 but totally fine in T4....for whatever reason my body has a very hard time converting T3 to T4

8. ulala

ulala New Member

Statement from Forest Laboratories Re: Availability of Armour Thyroid
    Forest Laboratories and its supplier understand how frustrating the back order situation of Armour Thyroid is for patients, and we apologize for the supply interruption.

Forest Laboratories is working closely with its supplier of the product’s active ingredient, powdered Thyroid gland, and both companies are working diligently to return to normal supply levels as quickly as possible.

There are many complicated steps involved in the supply chain for a naturally desiccated thyroid product like Armour Thyroid. One factor in the supply interruption involves the manufacturing of a sufficient quantity of powdered Thyroid gland. American Laboratories, Inc., the sole U.S. supplier of Thyroid Powder Products, is working as quickly as possible to provide Forest with a sufficient quantity of this ingredient.

Forest is addressing the backlog of Armour Thyroid as quickly as possible, however, we are not prepared at this time to give a definitive date by which the product will be fully restocked. Please check for future updates on the availability of Armour Thyroid through the Forest product availability toll-free hotline at (866) 927-3260.

In the meantime, we encourage patients to speak with their physician regarding appropriate treatment for their condition.

9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Just found all this info yesterday. Pharmacist says Levothyroxine is comparable????

TeaBis - you said they changed the thyroid formulatiion; when was that, and what problems did you have. I'm super super sensitive, and not sure if that affected me as I'm always developing something new.

j Kennedy: You mentioned Nature thyroid. Can you tell me more about this. Rx? Same as the original Armor, etc.

Thanks.........tired of "changes"; don't we have enough already!!

P.S. Synthroid was a real bad one for me.
  10. debilyn

debilyn New Member

I'm also one who does not convert T4 to T3. Stynthroid or Levo. by themselves do nothing

for me. I take bio-identical T3 that's compounded in a dispensary or compounding pharmacy; I

also take a small amount of Levo. Without the bio-identical T3, the Levo. doesn't do

anything for me.

The body is supposed to convert T4 to T3, but that conversion process gets messed up in

some people, like me.

11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I was doing great on the original Armour formula. The weight was coming off me. I lost over eight pounds on it. Then, my next batch was the new formula. All of a sudden, the weight stopped coming off, I started to regain it. My hair started to fall out. My skin was breaking out. And on then the next batch of it, I started to get severe pain in my lower back, legs, and hips. Seriously, severe, like I almost went to the ER five times for it. When I stopped the pills, within two days the pain was gone. And now that I've been off them for about a week, no more hair falling out. And my skin is clearing up. There's something awful in that new Armour formulation.

The Lev they have me on, rapid heartbeat for awhile. I probably need the lower dose. Too soon to tell if it's going to do any good at all.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2009]
  12. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

This is from The American Health Freedom Association....couldn't get the resource links to work, but the article follows my note, which is in parenthesis (considering that there is only one synthetic version of T3 and it has a poor shelf life - it breaks down fast - taking the natural versions off the market is not really leaving any good alt for people like me who cannot break down T4 into T3 - once again the FDA is making things worse, not better, and is obviously driven by financial gains, rather than actually working to help people)

FDA Attacks Natural Thyroid Millions Depend On

We have learned that Time-Cap Labs, producer of a generic version of the brand name drug Armour, a natural and bioidentical thyroid replacement, has been ordered by the FDA to stop production. The FDA has decided to classify the company’s product, available for over a century, as an unapproved new drug. Since the new drug approval process is prohibitively expensive for a non-patentable substance, the FDA is in effect banning the natural product. The purpose? Presumably to protect the profits of other, inferior drugs that have been FDA approved.

According to statistics by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and other medical organizations, approximately twenty-seven million Americans have a thyroid disorder. Thyroid consumer advocate Mary Shomon projects that 2 million of these patients take either Armour Thyroid or a generic equivalent.

Armour and other "whole" natural thyroid preparations (including Westhroid and Nathroid as well as Time-Cap Lab’s Thyroid) are bio-identical, complete hormone preparations, containing "T4" "T3" "T2" and "T1" in the same proportions made by the human thyroid.

The FDA approved preparations Synthroid (T4), Cytomel (T3), and Levethyroxine (T4) include bio-identical molecules, but are not complete or totally bio-identical as they do not contain "T2" or "T1". It’s no wonder so many people feel much better with the balanced natural products that have been available for generations.

As famed physician Dr. Jonathan Wright observes: “Natural thyroid has never killed or severely harmed anyone since its first use in the 1890s, prior to the FDA itself. It is a mainstay not only in the treatment of hypothyroidism but also in ‘healthy aging’ therapy. That the FDA should even be thinking of requiring a new drug approval for a safe, 100 plus year old natural treatment is outrageous.”

We will report further as soon as we confirm more of the facts, and as always, we’ll let you know how you can get involved.

September 1, 2009

13. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Thanks for the update. I was afraid this was going to somehow be related to money. How sad, once again.

Please keep us informed as I am ready to get involved...
  14. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have NO thyroid and am poor converter of T4 to T3. Also, had severe confusion, mask like affect, even WORSE trouble ambulating, anxiety, constipation while on Synthroid. It was like dementia gone bad. I don't want to return to a synthetic thyroid preparation. I want my Ts, all of them, and the Calcitonin too. Can't get that in synthetics.

I better try to reorder tomorrow. I take 6 grains daily, that I take as 1 grain tablets. Haven't had trouble getting them, except for an overnight delivery.

I also do not like the new fillers they are using. A lot of people on the"thyroidless forum" I belong to, have switched over to Naturethroid, as they dislike the new Armour. I think I'll try switching.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2009]
  15. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

Has anyone tried Canada?? I called and they have it for $25.00 for 3 months. What do you think??

16. lukro

lukro Member

Can you please let us know where in Canada? Also, what mg. do you use? $25 for 3 months is a fair price.
  17. panthere

panthere Member

told me that the pharmacy that was producing armor thyroid closed down.
  18. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

I found it at I take 30 mg once a day. I am thinking about trying it...
  19. lukro

lukro Member

check the availability of the thyroid at this online pharm? I checked w/ several Canadian online pharms and they are all out of the armours thyroid.

20. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I have the same symptoms as you; but scared to change due to the T3-T4 conversion issue.
    But I've been talking to compounding pharmacists, and one told me the problem is that one of the fillers is "lactose", and so many of us are allergic to milk/dairy. That fits for me.

Cheated on some dairy the other night, and my symptoms doubled, so this change just may be a blessing in the long run. Seemingly negative changes can fool us, so I'm hanging on to see how people are doing on synthetic alternatives (not synthroid).

Here's hoping something 'better' will come our way.

Hope, hope, hope................carole