armour thyroid questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Princessraye, May 22, 2003.

1. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I read some posts where people refer to armour thyroid .
    I take sythroid for my thyroid problems.
    I would appreciate someone explaining the difference.
    Thanks!
  2. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

armour thyroid is a natural product made from pigs.
    the really good thing about it is contains T3 and T4.
    Sythroid is a synthetic that contains T4. If like me the problem is that you can't convert T4 toT3 then you won't feel better on the Sythroid. some people can convert so they feel good on that.
    pinkquartz
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Armour Thyroid is natural, not synthetic like Synthroid. It comes from pigs, and because it is natural, it has all the components of thyroid in it, ie. T1, T2, T3 and T4...more like what the body produces.
    This can be especially helpful for Fibro patients since some of us have normal T4 (which is what Synthroid is), but we can't convert T4 into T3 very well. Taking something with the T3 in it helps that problem.
    While many do better with Armour, some do better with Synthroid. It just depends on your particular problem. Many docs don't know about Armour's uses anymore, or about the importance of testing T3 either.
    Armour is the older drug, having been the only treatment for low thyroid for a long time before the synthetics were invented.
    As long as you are doing well, I would not worry. You know that old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!
    Klutzo
  4. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I wonder if my Dr. would consider letting me try the Armour thyroid. You know how funny they can be. Guess I will ask when I go back in July .

[ advertisement ]