arms and hands "asleep", loss of grip, weaker fingers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poodlegirl, Oct 16, 2002.

1. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I think I might be getting carpal tunnel and was wondering if anyone experiences the same thing as I am about to describe. It is very hard to differentiate between what is Fm, CFS, psuedo tumor cerebri, overuse of limbs (arms/hands)or familial medit. fever. My symptoms are so muddied together I can't blame a doc for not wanting to dig in to my illnesses. I can't seem to tell what's what anymore. Or if it is all part of one disease. Anyway here goes. Lately I have been waking several times at nite with my hands and wrists numb and asleep. It is a nitely occurance where as it used to be on occasion. I also have noticed that I cannot hold my arms in one position for very long or else they "fall asleep". My grip has become increasingly weaker and have had to do less and less sculpting. My fingers seems to be unable to accurately do small tasks such as sculpt details that I used to do easily. Does anybody have any input? My feet and legs also seem to go to sleep much more easily than normal. Part of cfs????
  2. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I think I might be getting carpal tunnel and was wondering if anyone experiences the same thing as I am about to describe. It is very hard to differentiate between what is Fm, CFS, psuedo tumor cerebri, overuse of limbs (arms/hands)or familial medit. fever. My symptoms are so muddied together I can't blame a doc for not wanting to dig in to my illnesses. I can't seem to tell what's what anymore. Or if it is all part of one disease. Anyway here goes. Lately I have been waking several times at nite with my hands and wrists numb and asleep. It is a nitely occurance where as it used to be on occasion. I also have noticed that I cannot hold my arms in one position for very long or else they "fall asleep". My grip has become increasingly weaker and have had to do less and less sculpting. My fingers seems to be unable to accurately do small tasks such as sculpt details that I used to do easily. Does anybody have any input? My feet and legs also seem to go to sleep much more easily than normal. Part of cfs????
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I just let out a "whew" as I prepare to answer your post. By the way I have poodles, used to have show quality standards, but thankfully was able to place my stud with a good friend; my son (10) kept two neutered males, one daughter has a fixed female and I have one that is my personal security dog...obedient like a police dog! Anyway, that off-subject being said;
    Go to a neurologist. There are a few reasons why you are having peripherol "whatevers"; mine were peripherol neuropathies from undiagnosed diabetes; my hands (I was a professional musician for thirty years, keyboard for $, guitar for pleasure...) and was told I had CT and to have the surgery...I said NO! Wearing the hard B-D braces at night worked wonders; while I still played for the public I wore elastic glove-looking things that covered the great knuckles and over the wrist; after a gig I hurt like H but once I was put on a beta blocker/amitryp. for new-found classic migraines, it, the beta blocker had the side-effect of causing my peripherol neurophathy (sp) to quit hurting and numbing! I was like WOW. I did not even have to wear the braces at night or when I worked...."it" was simply gone and I thanked God I did not have the CT surgery; now

my daughter 33 is a beautician and was told she had CT as a result of her occupation; she had the surgery, said everything is find......so...confusion still but I hope a couple of things to think about.

I am not a doc or anything near one! So I would see a neuro if you are able....they seem to be very insightful, atleast mine is. Love CactusLil'
  4. lilwren

lilwren New Member

About a month ago my right arm went totally numb and felt very heavy - the next day it was better, but still 'numb' feeling. Over the last month I have noticed that I can no longer sleep in the same positions as I used to because I wake up with my arms numb and in pain. Last night I was awakened by severe pain in my right arm and it was numb - I realized I had been sleeping on it. It seems to be gradually getting more and more frequent and is now affecting my let arm and legs. Went to a neurologist because I am also losing the ability to grasp objects - it's as though my hand doesn't want to work - of course during questioning he found out I have CFS so he told me to go to a shrink. I am totally lost and very afraid - if I only knew what was happening. I am wondering if this is related to blood volume and hypotension - maybe POTS (postural orhtostatic tachycardia syndrome)?

Does anyone else have this and has anything helped? I'm sorry I am too beat to search the boards.

love,

Sharon L
  5. blast

blast New Member

I was just about to post the same question and there it was staring me in the face!
    About a month or two ago, the same exact thing started happening to me. Waking up in the middle of the night with numb hands, and sometimes numb feet and legs. I thought it was how I was sleeping, but then it started happening when I was awake. If I leave my hand-wrist in one position for more than a minute or two, it goes completely numb.
    Well I just figured it is a part of Fibro, so I hadn't thought much more about it until now it is happening a lot more frequently.
    Maybe I should see my primary and see if she thinks I should see a Neurologist.
    Will let you know what she says!
    Good luck,
    Sherri
  6. debrastets

debrastets New Member

Dont let them blame everything on fm! I had same thing going on with me and had ct. They did ct release'but' all the problems didnt go away! Had MRI of neck and had slipped disc c6-7 and just had surgery in june! I also have rsd in hand now! Fm can causes alote of these things 'but ' iam gald i had a doctor that went all the way with my test! Good Luck!
  7. jetmek

jetmek New Member

yup my extremities always feel like they are asleep especailly when i wake up frum another nite of unrefreshing sleep. They tingle to the point its quite painful and i have lost grip i also cant sit for long periods of time or i cant get up with out falling. My doctor doesnt know what to do so we are trying tto think of anything , I have FMS and its hard to deal with along with all the other wonderful side effects. So hang in there your not alone
    Huggys Jenny
  8. rnbsoul

rnbsoul New Member

Hi Poodlegirl-
    I have that everyday,especially in the a.m., although I really noticed while I was still working(6yrs. ago)after years & years of lifting,data entry, filing,phones, etc., and under LOTS of stress. I initially noticed problems when I was 20!!! But ignored my semi-weak thumbs,hands & wrists. I do tend to put my hand(s)under the pillow as I (try to)sleep. EVERY morning now, I have swelling,numbness, weakness, stiffness,& pain. Not uncommon for those of us that have: fibro, rheumatoid arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc. etc. It's "peripheral neuropathy" & MAN whenever I've used my hands, like washing dishes, orchanging the bed, or ANYTHING, my hands get MORE numb, swollen, & I drop things like crazy!!! My point is, take care of yourself-see a nuerologist. I didn't, no insurance or disability, and, at 43 my hands are almost useless.
    Good luck & God Bless! -Robin
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2002]
  9. Tawnie

Tawnie New Member

Yes, I am starting to have the problem with numbness. It is starting in my fingers--from my pinky over to my thumb, but mostly on my left hand. I am also having a sharp type of pain in my left wrist. I think it is in my vein under my thumb though. Does anyone have that problem?
    Tawnie
  10. achy

achy New Member

My left arm get totally useless. Weighs a ton, trembles. MY right arm gets shaky and tingly. I just figured it went with the jerking body. Ain't this fun? O look like I'm dancing, but I'm not! ROFL
    Achy

been thinkin about a neuro..been everywhere else...what the heck
  11. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

on 22nd of this month for the same thing, I am getting an eeg on brain & emg on arm & hand, left one. I will post as soon as I know something.

I think so many of us have this tho, I think it is just our DD.

Jaci
  12. Dara

Dara New Member

study done? I had the same problems you have and I had a nerve conduction study done that showed I had carpul tunnel and ulnar nerve entrapment. So far, no surgery, just the wrist splints.

Dara
  13. vloga

vloga New Member

Wow, what a list of horrific problems it could be.

I had the same, was triggered by working too long at a computer, and had to take 6 weeks off work when it got so bad I couldn't even switch a light on or off without total agony all over.

It had been happening from time to time since dx of CFS, but never so bad, so I just put it down to being one of the symptoms of this DD. It's worse if I've been leaning on the arm during sleep.

My GP said it wasn't tunnel carpal syndrome, as that has the symptom of just the little pinky having pins and needles, plus pain in the hand and wrist; he thought it was permanent.

Because I was off so long from work I had to go see the work Dr.I was lucky in that he was a former Rheumy, and he examined me thoroughly. His diagnosis, which wasn't that of my GP, was that I had tennis elbow, and that I'd recover fully.

And I have. I just have to be careful about late-night surfing, not to use the mouse too much.

The work Dr recommended I do less work that caused the problem, and doing other work in between, to give my arm a chance to recover.

Hope the symptoms you have are only temporary.

Vloga