Arms falling asleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna275, Mar 30, 2006.

1. donna275

donna275 New Member

I am having a problem with my arms "halfway" falling asleep at night. I sleep with my arm bent under my head and after 20 minutes my shoulder hurts and my arm is falling asleep. So, I lie on my back and both arms still "halfway" fall asleep. What in the world could that be? Does anyone have this problem? (I say "halfway" because it is doesn't feel like really going to sleep where you can hardly move your arm at all. It is not limp.)

I would really like input from you all if you have had something like this happen.

Thanks,
    Donna
  2. fibrotina1

fibrotina1 New Member

Donna, You are not alone!!
    I do go through spurts with my arms having that starting to fall asleep feeling especially at night. As I look back I remember this being one of the very first symptoms of my FMS.

I don't know what it is and am curious to see if others have it too.

{{{hugs}}}
    fibrotina1
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

at the dentist yesterday. Also they feel as if I can feel the blood in them too. Weird. I think it is nerve damage or pressure.

Love Anne C
  4. ouchiered

ouchiered New Member

Hi Donna

Yes, I have that problem also. Used to be much worst in the beginning of my FM. I do get chiropractor ajustments now & then which do help me. Be sure your Dr. is gentle with his adjustments. Or try an upperback massage to releive tension. I also used to rest on a heating pad but be careful not to burn yourself.

Also at night when sleeping I will have pain & aching on whichever side is touching the bed. The whole side! Cheek, shoulder, rib, hip, thigh, knee, ankle! Then roll over to the other side & after awhile everything will hurt on that side. Some mornings I will feel as if I've been run over by a truck or muscles will hurt like I climbed a mountain.

Sorry you are so uncomfortable, hang in there, you're not alone but I know that really doesn't make us feel better.

Have a better day. GG
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have these exact symptoms! Been having them for about a year. It's hard to find a position where my arms do not fall asleep. I like to sleep on my side too with my arm under my head, but my shoulder hurts and arm fall asleep as well. My should also is tender during the day. Another very weird thing is if I lay my arms over my upper tummy below my breast I wake up with extreme pain in my pelvic area! I have to get up a walk off the pain. It takes about 15 minutes, but it does go away. I also cannot wear anything snug against my waist or I get pain in my pelvic area. Can't figure out why, but I'm really glad the lower rise pants are in stlye!
  6. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

Yes I get this also, and I usually get rid of it with a chiro appt. Being out in your neck can affect the whole arm and that is where carple tunnel starts is in the shoulder. The adjustments don't always help. Now I can't hold the phone with my left arm because it goes to sleep if I have it up in the air. I know it's my neck because I am always going out up there. I don't go to chiro very often as it is an hour away. But he's the only one I trust and has a goal to fix it right the first time so you don't have to keep coming back.

I would try a chiro and if you can afford it, accupuncter.

Halo
  7. gottalottalove

gottalottalove New Member

I was told that this is what is called "Claw Arms". I wake up and my wrist and forearms are curled up on my chest and they are numb. I found that this is a symptom of FM. I can't remember where I read this, but a light bulb went on, because I didn't have the nerve (pardon the pun!) to tell my Doc, because I just get so tired of the same ole song and dance of symptoms every visit. I thought I was losing my mind, which at this point of watching my Great Aunt suffer from FM for years and now myself, my mind could use an overhaul....T
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

while I don't have these symptoms, my 18 yo son does, he has Lyme, still active in tests even tho on abx. You might want to consider this angle of a stealth pathogen of one type or another.

I really don't think everyone who has CF/FM has Lyme in particular...

but I do think we all have some sort of stealth pathogen of one type or another, or a combination, be it mycoplasma, chlamydia pneumonii, bartonella, herpes v. 6, ad infinitum!

there are a lot to consider and we could all probably be tested til the cows came home and then some... and still wouldn't know for sure since tests are not 100% at detecting them.

hope this helps,
    Victoria
  9. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

I get this quite a bit. It starts at night, but doesn't always go away. I pop over to the chiro and they always fix me up. It's not an immediate fix, but it's better by that evening, and usually lasts at least a week. At first I was scared to go, but after a million different docs she is the only one who has really helped me with any symptoms.
  10. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I wondered if this was a fibro thing. There so many of them! I get it most nights.

Weird stuff!
  11. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

I had this in my right arm long before I think I got FMS.

Can you "shake" it back to where the numbness is mostly gone?

In my case I had bad discs in my cervical spine. One of the discs was ruptured and pressing on the nerves down the arm. I really think it was the numerous bone spurs in my

neck and shoulder causing it, maybe both. After the operation to correct this I felt wonderful. When I woke up in recovery I knew the Neurosurgeon had gotten it right

because it didn't hurt or go numb.

I don't know if this is what is wrong with your arm but it was wonderful to be rid of the pain and numbness.

Dee

12. donna275

donna275 New Member

Funny thing, the day after a wrote to all of you my arms did not fall asleep that night or since. Mine also goes in spurts. For a week my arms were falling asleep and then one night it quits. How weird is that!

Drives me crazy!

Thank you!
    Donna
  13. berrytired

berrytired New Member

I'll get this while reading in bed...holding my book my arms will start to go numb.