Arms go to sleep at night

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NightAngel, Feb 10, 2006.

1. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

My upper arms have done this off and on through the years, but here lately they've been doing it every night. I wake up over and over again all through the night to readjust my sleeping position because my arms alternate between being asleep or hurting. Sometimes parts of them are numb PLUS they hurt in the parts that aren't numb. I usually sleep on my sides/arms, once in awhile my back and never my stomach.

My husband says he has trouble with this, too. He and I are both overweight and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm 5' 8" and weigh 230 and he's 5' 10" and weighs 215.

I have Peripheral Neuropathy, so I'm wondering if it could be that, too.

One night I went to bed several hours before my husband did and he said in just a few hours I must have rolled over from side to side about 100 times.

Anyone else have trouble with their arms?
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

be contributing as I noticed now I have gone back to more or less normal weight that problem stopped for me but DH still gets it. I do get it from time to time, but find sleeping with a hug pillow helps. I am same height as you are and weigh 170 now, aiming to get back to my usual 165(I have big bones and am quite normal at 165. Strangely DH is same height and weight as your DH! MIne is nearly 52, are they same age too?

Sorry, I know this is scary.

Love Anne
  3. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

I had this really bad, i had to sleep at an angle with arms propped up . my hands were burning.

went and had nerve test and had carpal tunnel. i had surgery and the arms going to sleep stopped.
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you just need to seek help...and big pillows? they need to be placed in the proper places and not under the neck is one of them..pushes the cerivcal spine forward...bad bad bad...a physical therapist can tell where to put these...and you can roll towels up under your arms to prop them up during sleep..pillw under your knees, or between you legs while sleeping on side..

jodie
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...in your wrists, very common, or cubital tunnel---in your elbows, your "funny bone" nerve, not as common. Do you sleep with your arms bent up at the elbows, like many people do? Even though this is a natural way to sleep for a lot of us, it's NOT good for you.

I've had elbow surgery twice for cubital tunnel (also called ulnar nerve entrapment) and have had to retrain myself to sleep with my arms extended, not bent at the elbows. It may make a lot of difference in the numbness you feel, if you catch it early enough. Also, there are physical therapy exercises you can be taught to do that will help, and can save you from having to resort to surgery.

Ask your doctor about both carpal and the less common cubital tunnel---if nothing else, you can rule this OUT and concentrate on other possible causes.

Good luck!

Pam
  6. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

Anne, my hubby is 9 years and 7 months younger than me. He is 36. I also have hug pillows. I call them my "woobies." I sleep on my sides and I have one that goes in front of my chest that I cuddle up with, and I place another pillow between my knees to help align my hips and then of course I have one under my head. I started sleeping like this a few years ago and I have no idea how I ever slept without this arrangement. It really helps this old fibromyalgia body : )

leftygg: I probably have carpal tunnel as well. I know that I have Peripheral Neuropathy in my arms/hands, legs/feet... so that would explain the pain in my wrists that runs up my arms a bit, and the numbness and pins and needles I have in my fingers. I get these bee sting type things once in awhile and it hurts like heck! My hands and wrists are weak, too. I drop things once in awhile...

Jodie, I don't put my pillow under my neck, just my head. You're right though, I am going to seek help for this. I think my dr's should know that this is going on with me. It's still possible I have MS. It's been a few years since I had an MRI and since my optic neuritis is flared up again, maybe this would be a good time to see the Neurologist.

Pam (my name is Pamela Sue!), I've never heard of cubital tunnel. Yep, I often find myself sleeping with my arms bent and snugged in extra tight to my chest. If I wake up with enough awareness, I will stretch my arms out and leave them like that as I fall asleep again. Thanks for letting me know about cubital tunnel.

7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

this but MY DH is 9years and 7 months younger than I.
    Small world!!!

I think it is the PN that is causing it now you mention that.

Love Anne
  8. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

That is so weird! They're the same height, same weight, both have arms that go to sleep once in awhile, and they're both 9 years and 7 months younger than us. That is just downright freaky! But neat : )