Arms numb after exertion?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Juloo, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

My extended family is selling a shared house, and this has required some work...especially cleaning. I have had ME/CFS for 14+ years now. There are flares, but I am fairly high functioning if I pace myself. On two occasions, several months apart, I have had both arms go numb for several days following a couple of hours of cleaning. I am really sensitive to heat, and I overheat easily. Someone told me these can be signs of MS, but I would like to know if other ME/CFS-ers experience this as well. Strangely, this doesn't set off a FM flare...those are distinct episodes. I end up needing several weeks to recuperate from a trip to deal with the house, but fortunately it is done, so I won't have to do this again.
  2. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi Juloo...I have experienced numbness in my arms and hands after exertion. It used to be just in the spring of the year, when I started doing yard work, especially running the weedeater.

For the past couple of years, my left arm and hand has stayed numb...and I have pain from my shoulder to my fingertips. This is pretty much a constant thing, but definitely made worse by lifting, scrubbing, even stirring up cookie dough, etc. In my case, I believe it stems from something in my neck being out of place. I make regular trips to the chiropractor, and notice improvements, but never complete relief. I do believe the diagnosis is correct, of the problem starting in my neck, and have hope that the chiro will be able to "fix" it for good, before too much longer. Of course, it would help if I could refrain from lifting grandbabies, etc. but that is just how life is.

I hope this problem is gone for good, now that you are finished with the cleaning.
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Julie. Has the chiro ever done an MRI on your neck? I have cervical and lumbar stenosis along with other problems and this causes narrowing of the spine, pressing on nerves at the neck or back, which in turn causes pain (lots of it) and numbness and tingling.
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

Hi Lydia1 and Sunflowergirl...thanks for replying. Yes, I am good friends with my chiropractor! I haven't had an MRI done for that area. I will be seeing him tomorrow about another thing and will ask him about the arm numbness. Because traveling usually involves sitting in an airplane for a long time, I try to see him within a few days of getting back for an adjustment. I saw him several times right after this last trip at the end of May because I tripped on the stairs and landed on my tailbone the last morning before returning home. I must have been so focused on that, the numbness in my arms just went to the bottom of the list. I do have rotator cuff problems in my right shoulder, and using a mouse a lot for my job can set it off. The pain is more like nerve type, though, not numbness. On some occasions I have had very stiff and painful hands after scrubbing the tub or similar at home. It is the worst the day after, and usually gone in a day. I hope the extended numbness is something I won't have to deal with again now that our big cleaning is done!