Art Contest for artists w/"Rare Diseases" or friends/relatives

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Oct 2, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Hi everybody...
    Since there are so many creative people here, I thought I would post this. I just happened to run across this. It is open to anyone with a 'rare' disease, or friends/family of someone who has one. "Rare Diseases" include CF/FM/ME as well as Lyme. (the full list of 'rare diseases' is huge, at: )

The Kakkis EveryLife Foundation invites artists to participate in the first annual EveryLife Art Contest. ( )

PURPOSE: To empower artists affected by Rare Diseases to express their unique struggle with a rare disease.

PRIZES: Two Grand Prizes will be awarded in each age group.
    Age Groups: Children 5-11: $100 Visa Gift Card
    Teens 12-17: $250 Visa Gift Card
    Adults 18+: $500 Visa Gift Card

Each Grand Prize winner will also receive a Flip Video camera. Winners will use the Flip Video to record their story about being an artist affected by a rare disease. The artists’ video stories will be posted on the Kakkis EveryLife Foundations Website.

Awards for Outstanding Art: All contestants with works of outstanding art will receive $25 Visa Gift Card.

ELIGIBILITY: The EveryLife Art Competition is open to all artists affected by a Rare Disease ages 5 and older. Artists may have a Rare or Undiagnosed Disease or may be close friends, family members, or care takers of those with a Rare or Undiagnosed Disease. A Rare Disease is one that affects less than 200,000 people in the United State. For a list of Rare Diseases go to International entries are accepted. Employees or Board Members of the Kakkis EveryLife Foundation or their immediate family members are not eligible to participate.

Other details are available at the website for Kakkis.

I've never heard of Kakkis before... but thought this was interesting.

all the best,

2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I just checked this out & it looks very interesting!

2 of my illnesses are listed as "rare" (1 is actually a side effect of the other).

I'm a bit shy about entering my art in competitions, but I might do it anyway.

I'll investigate first & make sure the group is legit.

Thanks for the info!!!!

3. ckball

ckball New Member

thanks, I did check them out a bit and seems legit but I have been fooled once so I am extra carful now. Are you going to enter something?

I was on the rare list too so will think about it but still want to research more and read the fine print, what is the point of the contest and what will they do with art?

I am afraid of any org that is less than a 1 year old, like I said I got burned once but if it is all legit it would be a good thing. Thanks- Carla
  4. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'm a bit concerned that by entering, they'll own the copyright to my work.

A "contest" (& the fine print you mentioned) would be a good way to legally "steal" our work...

You're right! Can't be too careful here!!!!!!!

5. victoria

victoria New Member

if only because I haven't done much in years and also don't have the means to transmit easily electronically (LOL I'm just happy to have what seems to be constant internet finally after 6 months without!)

If you find out anything, let us all know. You're right, you can't be too careful! I didn't look too far into it but thought it looked interesting.

all the best,