Art for Healing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Dec 2, 2005.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have recently been interested in how art can help us heal. I found this interesting article... My own art expression is needlework - crocheting. I make up my own patterns. This really helps me relax and reduces anxiety.

(I have always wanted to paint with oils except don't want to deal with the smells. I would love to take formal instruction someday).

If interested do web search "Art Heals" and you will find many excellent sites.

How art heals: mind- body physiology

How does art heal? Scientific studies tell us that art heals by changing a person's physiology and attitude. The body's physiology changes from one of stress to one of deep relaxation, from one of fear to one of creativity and inspiration. Art and music put a person in a different brain wave pattern, art and music affect a person's autonomic nervous system, their hormonal balance and their brain neurotransmitters.

Art and music affect every cell in the body instantly to create a healing physiology that changes the immune system and blood flow to all the organs. Art and Music also immediately change a person's perceptions of their world. They change attitude, emotional state, and pain perception. They create hope and positivity and they help people cope with difficulties. They transform a person's outlook and way of being in the world.

In fact it is now known by neurophysiologists that art, prayer, and healing all come from the same source in the body, they all are associated with similar brain wave patterns, mind body changes and they all are deeply connected in feeling and meaning. Art, prayer, and healing all take us into our inner world, the world of imagery and emotion, of visions and feelings. This journey inward into what used to be called the spirit or soul and is now called the mind, is deeply healing. For healing comes to us from within, our own healing resources are freed to allow our immune system to operate optimally and that is always how we heal. This is the contemporary version of freeing our healing energies and is now recognized to be crucial to healing. We go inward on The Creative Spiral together through art and music.

I ordered this book...

Art and Healing: Using Expressive Art to Heal Your Body, Mind, and Spirit
    Barbara, Ganim

In this testament to the power of creativity, Barbara Ganim, shows step-by-step how to use art to heal body, mind, and spirit. By using guided meditation and artistic techniques, you can gain insight and clarity into depression, anxiety, rage, and even illnesses including cancer, arthritis, and AIDS. This book will teach you how to connect with negative, painful, and even repressed emotions, and then express them through drawing, painting, sculpture, or collage. Releasing these feelings through the creative process frees up the immune system and clears the mind, allowing the body to fight off disease and begin to heal emotional wounds. Filled with actual stories from those who have triumphed over adversity and with more than a hundred different pieces of artwork created using this groundbreaking method. Art and Healing is sure to provide the tools needed for healing body and spirit. New York: Three Rivers Press, 1999. 220
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2005]
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

When my brain's buzzing with emotions I can't even put a name to, that's when I get out the crayons and just draw whatever. When I'm done, I sign it and put it in a safe place. Helps to make something beautiful that I can keep. And when I look at it later, it helps me sort out my feelings of that day.
  3. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I love to make things.Now a days I lay in my bed thinking of what I want to make instead of other problems I can't fix.I pray alot more now too.All of these very important things have helped.My art is a little of everything,mainly creating things out of old things.Right now I am trying my hand at sewing and constrution of a cat house attached to my daughters bedroom window so the cats can sit in it and look around outside without being outside.Right now I have a bad cold and it makes me so mad that I have to be still be it must be what God wants me to do right now.But while I am sitting I can cuddle with our fur babies and that is very relaxing too.God,art,animals and a big mug of hot chocolate are good things.
    Sheila
  4. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

I was an Art History major as an undergrad and my FAVORITE class was Art Therapy. We went to a mental institution and a state penetentary which both used methods of art therapy for their patients and inmates.

It was amazing to see it first hand (more so with the mentally challenged since many could not communicate otherwise).

Personally, being an Art major, I feel more calm and relaxed in a museum or gallery than any other building. For me it is about beauty relecting itself inside of you.

Ok...a little TOO "liberal arts college" huh? heehee.

_GoAskAlice
  5. mamadukes

mamadukes New Member

I have been painting for 20 years now and don't know where I would be without it. I have had a hard time the last year or so because of fatigue and pain in my hand and arms, but I still stick with it. The emotional release of creating and expressing myself is worth it. Your post was very interesting to me because I never thought of my art as "healing" - it was just something I did, but you are right, it has helped me get though some very tough times of emotional pain and now physical pain.

You may be interested to know there are now water based oil paints on the market so you can oil paint without the chemicals and smells (I have never tried them, but heard they are very good). Formal instructions are great, but don't wait! get an inexpensive set and a couple canvas boards (go cheap to start!) and start experiementing. Have fun and don't worry to much about results to begin with. This is about expression, not masterpieces. A book or two on beginning techniques should be all you need to get started.

6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I think art can be very good therapy for us. When I draw or paint or do any craft project even, it lower my stress so much. It also helps you feel good about yourself.

Sandy