Artemisinin Cheney's kind...Any ideas on how to buy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spacee, Jul 20, 2010.

1. spacee

spacee Member

I purchased some a number of months ago. It came from the UK.
    But I can't find anywhere where to buy it again.

It seems to be better than the one by Allergy Research Group
    that is sold all over the internet.

Hoping someone knows. (Actually I read it is banned to sell some
    of that in the UK and USA.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

Hepasunate by

there's a good post on a thread at phoenix rising/

I am a Cheney patient. I have not seen him since early in the year, prior to the XMRV study, but at that time he was recommending that I take one capsule of artesunate (sold as "hepasunate" by also be bought from Guilin Pharmaceuticals in China, but apparently is the subject of a tremendous amount of counterfeiting in Asia) on Tues & Thurs mornings and one capful of wormwood solution (from Mediherb) on Mon, Wed & Fri mornings. Don't take either on Sat. & Sun.

He recommends that both be taken sublingually (not swallowed) out of some concern that artemisinins can cause drug-induced hepatitis if taken for a prolonged period. For me, sublingual means basically swishing the stuff around in my mouth and gargling with it and then spitting it out after a few minutes. Fair warning, the wormwood solution tastes truly foul and needs to be diluted with water to about 1/3 strength.

I am not exactly sure why Cheney recommends taking these artemisinin-related compounds only 5 out of 7 days each week, but this has often been his protocol for treatments that he thinks have immune-modulating or anti-microbial properties. (For example, his protocol for Isoprinosine/Inosine used to be the same, 5 days on, 2 days off.)

I have found this protocol to be helpful in reducing fatigue and flu-like symptoms. It is not a miracle cure, of course, but I definitely feel more fatigued on Saturdays and Sundays when I am taking neither the artesunate nor the wormwood solution."

ETA - Cort says Cheney has upped the dosage, but you might want to start lower... also there's 9 pages on that thread alone, I only read the 1st page.

hope that helps!

[This Message was Edited on 07/20/2010]
  3. spacee

spacee Member

I know why Cheney splits the dosing. It can cause hepatiitis. Even the Chinese
    noticed that. He had one woman patient who felt so well taking it that she
    started taking it daily and, yep, hepatitis.

Thanks a bunch sweetie, I'll make it up to you later (wink) j/K)

4. victoria

victoria New Member

I was just browsing for the name & site where you could buy it safely. My son took it but as a more herbal prep, artemesinin, under the supervision of his LLMD. His doc anyway had him pulsing all meds.

Jam, artesunate or artemesinin (sweet wormwood) is used for malaria or babesia ('babs' is a common tick infection with Lyme, both little 'amoeba'-like critters, unlike bacteria or virus)...

I don't know anything about the isoprinosine, sorry, but do remember hearing about it. A quick google search turned up that it's for the immune system and hard to get as it's not available in the US. PR also had info on that at:

Hope that helps. LOL it Is hard to keep it all straight, I'm always re-looking stuff up!

(OK Spacee I expect you to eat at least a pint of dark chocolate Haagan Daaz ice cream for me... LOL...)

[This Message was Edited on 07/20/2010]
  5. bakeman

bakeman New Member

you can buy it at the fibroandfatigue web site, although i do NOT recommend going to the clinics EVER.

i took these pills, it made all of my cfs symptoms multiply X 100.
    my anxiety & depression was through the roof. my entire body ached so bad i thought i was going to die and my energy source was totally depleted.

I only lasted about 4 or 5 days on the pills bc/ i thought i might die from them.

but muracurously, about a week or so after i stopped the pills, i felt so good like my old self, a new person ready to take back my old life and leave this illness behind me forever.

unfortunately it only lasted for about a week and my symptoms began to return.

my point is i had an amazing experience after i stopped the pills and it was no coincidence because i did the same thing 3 times withing one year with the same results each time. there must be something to this artimisinin, i just don't know what????

6. bakeman

bakeman New Member

its also a supplement made from Artemisia annua (aka sweet wormwood).
  7. bakeman

bakeman New Member

can be bought as a supplement. Google it. there's hundreds.

8. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Like Victoria said, Artemisinin (and Artemesia/Artemisia) are used in Babesia treatment.

Babesia is a parasitic infection (a protozoan) of the red blood cells.

It is a common coinfection found in patients with Borrelia burgdorferi infection (lyme).

Here is some good symptom info for Babesia on pages 22, 23, 24, 26, 27 of this paper:

An excerpt from the above paper on page 23:

"Over time, they can note night sweats, air hunger, an occasional cough, persistent migraine-like headache, a vague sense of imbalance without true vertigo, encephalopathy and fatigue."

"Diagnostic tests are insensitive and problematic."

Another excerpt from page 26-27:

"Obvious sweats, usually at night, but can be day sweats as well."

"Air hunger, need to sigh and take a deep breath; dry cough without apparent reason."

"Headaches can be severe-dull, global(involves the whole head, described like the head is in a vise."

"Fatigue is prominent, does not clear with rest, and is made worse with exercise."

"Mental dullness and slowing of reactions and responses."

"Dizziness-more like a tippy feeling, and not vertigo or purely orthostasis."

"Symptoms cycle rapidly, with flares every 4-6 days."

"Hypercoaguable states are often associated with Babesia infections."

"Rarely, splenomegaly."

"Very severe lyme disease can be a clue to Babesia infection, as it will make Lyme symptoms worse and Lyme treatments less effective."

Babesia infections can range from mild to severe.

Anyone with chronic fatigue should consider that they may have a Babesia infection.

There are only tests to detect 2 species of Babesia. There are at least 13 species, possibly as many as 24 species of Babesia, making it difficult to detect.

A Lyme literate MD who follows ILADS guidelines would be the person to evaluate a patient properly for Babesia.

9. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

It sounds like you had a bad herx from taking artemisinin.

Have you considered being evaluated for Babesia infection?
  10. bakeman

bakeman New Member

i have an acquaintance who is a lymie(sp?) .maybe i will email her to get her dr. contact info. actually, you probably have spoken to her on a forum before. I don't know what name she goes by.

11. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

You may find it very helpful to also go to , sign up for free and get on the Medical Questions board.

They also have a Seeking a Doctor Board.

I think you are wise to pursue this.
  12. bakeman

bakeman New Member

the list of symptoms for lyme or babsia does not fit my illness. thanks for thinking of me though.

13. victoria

victoria New Member

you still may want to check it out. It is possible it's taking care of something else. That's where a good doctor comes in. For you to be able to get repeatable results like that - I would start talking to doctors. I'm not an herbalist; while it's always repeated that it's good for babesia and malaria, who knows, there may be something else?
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

It's the herb, "Herb" -
    Sweet Wormwood (Artemisia annua)

More info about his protocol can be found here: