Artesunate

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by norris2, Jun 9, 2009.

1. norris2

norris2 New Member

Dr. Cheney is saying he is having success with Artesunate. I don't do everything he says, but curious if anyone has tried this.
  2. nink

nink New Member

Haven't tried it. Don't recall it ever being discussed on this board. Since it is indicated for severe malaria, I certainly would want a very thorough discussion about how this is supposed to help you.
  3. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi all. you can get artesunate from hepalin.com. it is called "hepasunate". my doctor contacted cheney, who said to take no more than 50 mg twice a week. i think there is more to the protocol and i will find out next week...

love
    sue
  4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

kelly....i thought holley makes arteminisin but not artesunate?

in the journal article about the 12 yr old who survived reististant CMV encephalitis with artesunate, i think the maintenance dose was listed at 100 mg/day ?

50 mg twice a week seems too little but i will hopefully find out more....

i will also ask about arteminisin, which i hope i can take because i already ordered 3 bottles! argh.

love
    sue[This Message was Edited on 06/13/2009]
  5. norris2

norris2 New Member

Does anyone have anything new to report about Artesunate (Hepasunate) ? Anyone even taken a single dose of it yet ?
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2009]
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

ive been taking 50 mg twice a week with the valcyte. that's how much my doctor told me to take but that wouldn't be enough for a hamster.

someone told me part of cheney's protocol is:

Day 1: Take 2 capsules sublingually twice a day (open the capsules and let the contents dissolve with a bit of water)

Day 2 - 5: Take 2 capsules once a day, as above.

For 60 - 90 days: Take 1 capsule 2 or 3 times a week

in the upcoming CMV/artesunate trial, they are going to try 250 mg 2x/day for 30 days.

dr. ablashi says artesunate is promising and even implied it MIGHT act on latent proteins (long shot but it could one day be used to eradicate infection altogether).

7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

part of cheney's protocol is:

Day 1: Take 2 capsules sublingually twice a day (open the capsules and let the contents dissolve with a bit of water)

cheney says too much artesunate can promote bacterial growth.

in the upcoming CMV/artesunate trial, they are going to try 250 mg 2x/day for 30 days.

i am taking 50 mg twice a week like my doctor told me to...i don't think that's enough for a hamster!

unfortunately, dr. manfred marschall (artesunate/viral researcher) says we would probably need IV artesunate for HHV6.

dr. ablashi said artesunate is promising and may even act on latent gene products of HHV6...he wondered whether it could be used one day to eradicate infection altogether (probably a long shot).

8. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

part of cheney's protocol is:

cheney says too much artesunate can promote bacterial growth.

i am taking 50 mg twice a week like my doctor told me to...i don't think that's enough for a hamster!

unfortunately, dr. manfred marschall (artesunate/viral researcher) says we would probably need IV artesunate for HHV6.

dr. ablashi said artesunate is promising and may even act on latent gene products of HHV6...he wondered whether it could be used one day to eradicate infection altogether (probably a long shot).

9. RunningAntelope

RunningAntelope New Member

I have not posted here for awhile, but here is a relevant research article on artensunate. It works via the NFkB virally-induced transcription factor and, as such (as I understand it), may show ubiquitous efficacy against the Herpes family in general.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/xydqhqe88lu6p7nu/fulltext.pdf
  10. denis321

denis321 New Member

Thanks for posting the full link!

Does anyone happen to have full link to Clinical Infectious Disease article on Artesunate from last year? I don't have full access.

Also I just found this:

J Clin Virol. 2009 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print] Links
    Sensitivity of human herpesvirus 6 and other human herpesviruses to the broad-spectrum antiinfective drug artesunate.Milbradt J, Auerochs S, Korn K, Marschall M.
    Institute for Clinical and Molecular Virology, Medical Center Erlangen, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.

BACKGROUND: Antiviral therapy for HHV-6 infection with conventional anti-herpesviral drugs is problematic so novel drugs are required. Artesunate is a well-tolerated drug approved for malaria therapy which possesses antiviral activity. OBJECTIVE: The artesunate sensitivity of HHV-6 was analyzed and compared to that of several other human herpesviruses. STUDY DESIGN: Cultured human cells were productively infected with strains of HHV-6 or other human herpesviruses to measure artesunate inhibition of viral protein synthesis (Western blot analysis) or viral genome replication (qPCR), and to determine IC(50) values by immunofluorescence or plaque reduction assays. RESULTS: Sensitivity of HHV-6 to artesunate was demonstrated with an IC(50) of 3.80+/-1.06muM. This is in a range similar to IC(50) values for HCMV and EBV. Artesunate treatment of HHV-6-infected cells significantly reduced viral early and late protein synthesis that occurred in the absence of drug-induced apoptosis or necrotic cytotoxicity. HHV-6A genome replication was markedly reduced by artesunate. CONCLUSIONS: Artesunate possesses anti-HHV-6 activity in vitro and may be useful for treatment of HHV-6 infections.

PMID: 19501020 [PubMed - as supplied
  11. denis321

denis321 New Member

Sounds like an in vitro theoretical study?

Int J Oncol. 2009 Jul;35(1):149-58. Links
    Combination treatment of malignant B cells using the anti-CD20 antibody rituximab and the anti-malarial artesunate.Sieber S, Gdynia G, Roth W, Bonavida B, Efferth T.
    German Cancer Research Center, Pharmaceutical Biology (C015), D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany.

Chemotherapy of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is frequently hampered by drug resistance. The monoclonal antibody rituximab specifically targets the CD20 antigen and sensitizes B-cell lymphoma cells to standard anticancer drugs. In the present investigation, we analyzed, whether a combination of rituximab and artesunate may act in a complementary manner and eventually synergize in tumor cell killing. Artesunate is an anti-malarial drug, which also exerts profound activity towards cancer cells. While rituximab alone was minimally cytotoxic, rituximab increased cytotoxicity to artesunate in Ramos cells. Artesunate induced apoptosis, induced Fas/CD95 expression and the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and resulted in a breakdown of mitochondrial membrane potential. This argues for the involvement of both receptor-driven extrinsic and mitochondrial intrinsic routes of apoptosis. Rituximab increased Fas/CD95 expression and ROS formation and decreased mitochondrial membrane potential ultimately leading to increased apoptosis induced by artesunate. The transcription factors YY1 and Sp1 are upstream regulators of apoptosis by controlling the expression of apoptosis-regulating genes. YY1 and Sp1 were down-regulated and Fas/CD95 was up-regulated by rituximab and artesunate indicating that artesunate activated the Fas/CD95 pathway and that rituximab increased the susceptibility of tumor cells to artesunate-induced apoptosis. Furthermore, rituximab affected the expression of antioxidant genes. The antibody decreased artesunate-induced up-regulation of catalase expression and increased artesunate-induced down-regulation of glutathione S-transferase-phi expression. Manganese-dependent superoxide dismutase expression was not changed by artesunate. Antioxidant proteins may help to detoxify artesunate-induced ROS. Rituximab reversed the artesunate-induced expression changes of antioxidant genes and, hence, reduced the detoxification capacity of Ramos cells. The effects of rituximab on antioxidant genes represent a novel mechanism of rituximab for chemosensitization.