Arthritic Feet and Bone Spur's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RainbowDawn, Jan 20, 2003.

1. RainbowDawn

RainbowDawn New Member

I have along with Fibro, arthritis in my feet so bad, I have to get around with a walker. I had xray's done and it showed not only the arthritis, but bone spur's as well. I have an appointment to see a Podiatrist the end of this month so I'll know more as to what can be done.
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how did it turn out for you....I hope I'm not going to have to undergo surgery to remove the spur's.
    Thank you, RainbowDawn
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So sorry you have bone spurs in your feet. I had them twice. The Podiatrist made special pads to wear in my shoes. It took about a month, but they finally disolved. I know how horrible that hurts.

I also took 'Glucosamine and Chondroitin', it helped a good deal and I have not gotten another one since. This is wonderful for arthritis. This was about 6 years ago.

My husband had a bone spur in his elbow, he went to the doctor, they gave him shots and meds, it went away, but was back in a month. I finally got him to try the Glucosamine and Chondroitin. He did, and it healed it in about two weeks. He has not got it back since.

I sure hope you get some relief soon, that hurts so darn bad in the heel of the foot. I must have bought a half dozen pairs of shoes trying to walk with it!

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2003]
  3. RainbowDawn

RainbowDawn New Member

Hi Shirl,
    Thank you for the information, I'll give it a try. I'm glad to hear that it helped you and the bone spur's didn't come back. It's good to know that shoe insert can be of help and reduce the pain without surgery....I wasn't looking forward to that.
    Thank you, RainbowDawn
  4. evileva

evileva New Member

I was also diagnosed with bone spurs in both feet so I know how painful they are. The foot doctor that I went to also made insoles for my shoes and they do work.. So hopefully that is what your doc will do for you too. I know that the one I saw only believed in doing surgery as a last resort because he said that only caused new problems so if your doc wants to operate right off the bat, I think that I would go for another oppinion. Good luck!
    Eva
  5. pearls

pearls New Member

I had surgery on both feet about six months before I started my fibromyalgia symptoms that didn't go away. I had bone spurs on on the outsides of both big toes. Unfortunately, the spurs have returned three years later. I don't think I want surgery again considering its apparent role in the onset of many sufferers' fibromyalgia, but how will I continue to walk if the spurs get worse. I can hardly go barefoot!

(My actual fibromyalgia onset,though, did not begin with that surgery. It started with a sinus infection.)

-Pearl
  6. sp

sp New Member

HI,when you see the podiatrist, ask him if he will write you a prescription to go see a Pedorthist. A good Certified Pedorthist can order you custom made shoes, and custom make inserts for your shoes or add/subtract part of the shoe to make it more comfortable. Pedorthists are also trained to properly fit a shoe, whereas a Podiatrist does not necessarily know much about shoes at all.
  7. ggks

ggks New Member

I have them too. In my right foot. Talk about PAIN. When I walk it feels like someone is stabing a nail into the bottom of my heel. I went to the foot doctor and he gave me a shot of some kind of cortizone. in each heel. It made my feet totally numb. After it wore off it didn't help my feet a bit. For some people it does. After lots of trial and error I have found what helps ME just a bit. Every evening I soak my feet in hot water with about 1/4 cup of Epson salts in it. Then I put my feet on a heavy-duty back vibrator that I have turned up side down on the floor. Then I just go to bed. I agree about the larger shoes. There needs to be room for whatever extra insoles you have in the shoes plus the spongee heel things. I even went to the chiropractor and all he did was put some kind of oil or heavy lotion on the bottom of each fool, take his thumbs, push very hard and go all the way from the toe-pads to the heel ( in three places) THAT HURT) but it seemed to help. Now I just have hubby do the same thing. I hope this helps a bit. ggks
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

I had a tiny bone spur in my ankle that, as tiny as it was, effectively crippled me. I could only take the stairs one at a time, barely walk from the car to the house. I tried cortison injections, walking cast, etc. Xrays didn't show it, only an MRI - that's how small it was. I was allergic to Celebrex and Vioxx didn't work at all.

I took 1500 mg Glucosamine/Chondroitin, 5,000 mg of Bromelain between meals in divided doses (be sure you don't take it with meals as it then acts as a digestive enzyme), 3 mg Boron, and as much MSM as I could take before getting bowel intolerance, along with 800 mg SAMe. Within 2 months, and ever since, I have had no problems at all ! I occasionally still take these supplements, but not every day.

[ advertisement ]