arthritis and concrete floors

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Dinah, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Dinah

Dinah New Member

My husband suffers from spinal stenosis. We have sold our home with five levels and we are looking forward to buying a townhome, but we are finding that many townhomes are built on a concrete slab. It seems to me that being on a concrete slab would be very bad for arthritis. Anyone have any opinions? research? experience? Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject.
  2. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I worked in a retail grocery store for 17+yrs, and out of those 17yrs, atleast 9 were spent stocking bread shelves every morning which involved being down on my knees on a concrete floor - rhuemy told me that it contributed to my problems......Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Take care......Love, Donna
  3. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Concrete floors are unforgiving. They do not give any like plywood floors. If you do buy a home with concrete floors my best advice to your husband is to wear quality shoes or slippers with thick, cushiony soles while inside. This will help minimize joint pressure while walking.
  4. debra39

debra39 New Member

Hey Dinah,

I also have spinal stenosis...I am headed for surgery. Has your husband had any surgery? I really need some input. I am so afraid to have my back opened up, but the pain is so unbearable. I want to speak to someone that is going through what I am going through..
    thanks
    Debra