Arthritis in ONE finger?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Sep 28, 2006.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

OK, for about the last 3 wks I've been having constant pain in my pointer finger on my right hand. I am left handed. It started just out of the blue and hasn't stopped.

It often feels stiff and really sore. Could this be the beginnings of Arthritis? Sometimes it looks slightly swollen, at least to my eye, kind of around the middle nuckel. I didn't get a chance to mention this to my Dr when I saw him the other day, there were too many other things to talk about.

I don't have any arthritis anywhere else, if this is indeed that.

How does one know?

Raz
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2006]
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Rheumatoid a. usually starts in other joints than (one) pointy finger. It is usually on both sides as well, both knees, both hips, etc. This could be like the other poster said- FM- or osteo arthritis.

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I now really think this pain is from the tendons. Mine started in left thumb and middle finger, now it is in the middle finger(badly) and ring finger and palm of right hand.

It is sort of aweird carpal tunnel. Strangely I also had a finger only blood clot in February.

What helps:

Wearing hand splints at night only(bedtime). Hot water soaks with epsom salts and paraffin baths. Mild exercise-put a rubber band on a claw shape fist(fingers) and open up the finers against the band-this is far better than clenching.

Any topical pain ointment or spray but do not EAT with the sprayed hand unless wearing a glove.

Doing this has decreased my pain a lot, this past two weeks.

Love Anne
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

for your responses. I see my dr in a month and if it is still bothering me I will tell him about it. If its not one thing its something else, eh?

Raz
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

... in the same finger! She's had it for years now, and it's to the point that she has to write with the "pointing finger" pointing out. She has no other arthritis symptoms in any other joint.

I hope that, whatever it is, you can find some kind of relief soon. It may be small, but you need your pointing finger, and not just to point! Have you ever tried to sneak some peanut butter with a different finger? :)

Callum
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I thought it was going to be a joke about a different finger and road rage. ( I hope you see the humor and I did not offend you )

I hope you have found out what is going on . I guess arthritis has to start somewhere it could be in one finger. Have you ever hurt that finger before ?Maybe its an old injury acting up.
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

not offended at all. In fact, I wish I knew the joke you were expecting!

No, I've never injured this finger before, nor did I now. It just started hurting one day. I haven't figured it out. Is it ok to take anti-inflamitories along with Oxcodone?

Raz
  8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

mind began in my "mouse" thumb. Then it went to that wrist. My Dr. said arthritis begins in the thumb, but I am sure it can go to pointer finger.

i now have OA all over wrist in that hand, lumps on some of the finger joints, swelling at the base of pointerm, middle and ring fingers and it HURTS~~~~~

My other hand, the writing hand, now has it. It is NOT pleaseant. I use Ice/Hot, either generic or the real thing in the evening or as i go to bed. It doesn't dure, just eases.

I won't go into detail but OAf is not in other spots!!LOL

I wrapt my mouse hand when I use comp.

I do wish you good luck. Be sure to ask for help fofr pain!!!!@!

Gentle Hugs

Joan
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

When the chemicals in air freshener "attacked" me my middle finger in my right hand became stiff and swollen. I could barely bend it for about three months.