Arthritis Swim Class

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dragon06, Jan 20, 2007.

1. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I was thinking of joining the fitness center at the local college here and taking the Arthritis Swim Class. It's a water exercise program for people with (you guessed it) Arthritis.

I was thinking this could be low impact enough for me to participate in.

What do you guys think?
  2. spacee

spacee Member

It can be a wonderful thing if you can handle the chemicals. Some people can't. I could and did the arithis pool therapy for several years. It helped me get to a place where I could exercise on land by walking and doing some of the lightest weights/machines at the Y.

Give it a try!!

Spacee
  3. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I have taken water aerobics classes for the past 4 years or so and really like them. Plus the water has a really relaxing effect on my mind and body.
    Hope you like it.
  4. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

In mine, they use foam hand weights and I found that they gave too much resistance and started up spasms in my neck and shoulders. So I started out just doing the movements without the weights until I got stronger, then gradually added t hem. Also if I am having a bad day, I take it light again and don't push myself. Just start out easy and gradually build up because it may still be a lot at first.
  5. nightlady

nightlady New Member

Official Arthritis classes are taught in pools that are 83 to 88 degrees. But that is too cold for me too. I was fortunate that they were looking for a leader for a class at the local rehab center where the water is usually 91 or 92 degrees :)
    Some classes say they are for arthritis, but aren't actually officially through the arthritis foundation, so they may not be up to the standards and practices that best suit those with arthritis and fibro.