Arthroscopic surgery???elbows??HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannon004, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Shannon004

Shannon004 New Member

I may need arthroscopic surgery but I am unawhere of what it is like. If anyone knows please tell me what to expect...how long is the hospital visit? Is it general,or local anestesia? Are you awake during the proceedure??How long is recovery time? PLease help me ...I am scared and dont know what to expect...please write back. Also if u want to contact me my e-mail is glittergrl12577@yahoo.com and my aol screen name is ShanzyGirl004.

Thank..Shannon age16
  2. Shannon004

Shannon004 New Member

I may need arthroscopic surgery but I am unawhere of what it is like. If anyone knows please tell me what to expect...how long is the hospital visit? Is it general,or local anestesia? Are you awake during the proceedure??How long is recovery time? PLease help me ...I am scared and dont know what to expect...please write back. Also if u want to contact me my e-mail is glittergrl12577@yahoo.com and my aol screen name is ShanzyGirl004.

Thank..Shannon age16
  3. sean

sean New Member

I had an arthroscopy on my right knee recently, I had a general, but I'm not sure whether you will need a general for your elbow. I was in surgery for nine a.m, out of the operating theatre for 11.10a.m, eating toast and having a cuppa half hour later, and I was out of the hospital for 3.30p.m the same day. Recovery period varies from person to person. Seeing as it is your elbow it should be fairly quick, provided you do as your told . I had to rest my leg for 3 weeks, and gently introduce excersice but the op has set me back with my FMS. You have to remember an operation can take a lot out of you. All they do is make 2 tiny incisions in the area they wan't to look at, and they insert some kind of small optic tube inside the incision that is connected to a camera, so they can take a look inside you, and if necessary fix what is wrong, this is known as keyhole surgery.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee five years ago. I was given the choice of watching what was going on or having general anesthesia. I chose the latter because my anxiety was really high to begin with.

My doc told me I should be walking on it within days and would not need crutches when I returned to work less than a week later. Well, that turned out to be untrue. He also told me I would not need PT, but I don't know how I would have managed without it.

Looking back on it I think I probably had FM back then, but it was not yet dx'd. I know I had undx'd CFIDS that was treated as depression.

I hope your surgery turns out better than mine. I would think that with your elbow not being used as constantly as a knee that you would have an advantage to begin with.

Barbara
  5. sean

sean New Member

Your doctor certainly mis-informed you, you need at least a 2-3 week recovery period from arthroscopic knee surgery. that could easily be a cause for fibromyalgia, not resting the leg properly, plus you will of put yourself at risk of bleeding from the arthroscopy portals in your knee. You have to give them time to heal.
  6. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I had arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder and was not given the option of a local. I stayed overnight & went home the next morning. I was unable to lift anything with either hand for over a week, but I did eventually heal nicely. Two years ago, I had my whole hand sliced open to repair a fracture, and watched the entire procedure. Again a slow recovery, but I would definitely choose the local if given the option. Either way, be sure to check daily for ANY sign of infection. Hospitals have all sorts of nasty creepy-crawly things lurking about. The middle of the road is probably a cleaner place to have surgery done, but if you need it, please do have it. You will be better off in the long run.
    Kathryn