Arthroscopy anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Jun 3, 2008.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

This is a short story of what has happened in the past two months and would appreciate input from those who have some to give.

I fell 2 months ago and tore my medial meniscus in the middle. I went to an ortho that was ready to schedule me for surgery two weeks ago; however, asked the question about other options. He explained the meniscus never heals when torn, yet perhaps with physical therapy, strengthened muscles can help alleviate some discomfort. If there is no relief, I would then have the arthroscopy.

I went to my physical therapy eval this am and spoke to the Physical Therapist. He validated what the doctor had told me. I asked him what he would do if in my position and he said he would have the arthroscopy. He also told me that since I’d walked on my leg for these months it would be good to go ahead with physical therapy to strengthen the muscles as doing so would help recovery if I chose to have the surgery. I really appreciated the time the therapist took to discuss all these things with me, I learned a lot.

Question: has anyone with fibromyalgia, CFS, and / or lupus out there ever gone through an arthroscopy?

I’ve heard people say they haven’t really helped and then some who say the pain totally went away. I know it depends on the tear. I hesitate to have any type of surgery due to the stress placed on the body but I'm just totally fatigued and miserable dealing with the pain / discomfort and although I know physical therapy will help my muscle groups even if I have the surgery, I wonder if I should just have the surgery and hope for the best.

Anyone’s wisdom on this problem/question is appreciated … thank you!
  2. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

I have FM and also had a medial meniscus tear a few years ago. I opted to have the surgery due to the fact that my knee kept giving out on me. I would be walking along and sometimes my knee would pop out of socket and give way thus causing me to fall.

I couldn't even drive without it popping out and causing intense pain. I really felt that I had no choice.

I can say, however, that the surgery was a breeze. I had very little pain afterwards. I am glad I did it. The rehab following the surgery wasn't bad either. I have full range of motion in my knee now.

This is just my own experience. I am sorry you are going through this. Best of luck to you.
    God bless,

3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Before you decide on anything you may want to research: proteoglycans, glycosyltransferrases, mucopolysaccharides, and manganese.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2008]
  4. gerrih

gerrih New Member

Jaltar -- I am this week finishing up my sixth week of physical therapy following a scope. Luckily, my meniscus was not ripped and I just had some cartlidge removed.

Previously, I also had six months of physical therapy to recover from a broken tibia plateau.

The scope required a 1 hour surgery, the leg a 6 hour surgery. (six months apart)

My opinion: physical therapy hurts and is work and is exhausting. However, I would not have the strength I have today without the therapy.

I did find that I was very tired during both PT experiences, but also found that as I worked my way to harder exercises, the pain got better.

I would have to describe my fibro case as moderate as I am still able to work full time. I plan on continuing with the exercises I learned in PT.

I also recently started on Lyrica and am finding it to be a help.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I tore my medial meniscus a year ago last Oct. and despite exercise, it would feel fine and then I would reinjure it by twisting just the wrong way again. After a year and a half of this, the doc said if I wanted to fix it, it would take surgery. I am very, very glad I had it done, even though it has taken longer than average for it to heal. If they tell you it will be healed in a month, don't believe them.

My tear was small so he didn't have to remove much of the meniscus. He smoothed the joint and sucked out debris. I faithfully did the rehab exercises at home but I was still having some clicking and pain when bending the joint or twisting. It is now 100 percent, if comparing it to the other knee.

It is important to do the rehab to heal right after the surgery; however, I found that after a point, it just seemed to aggravate the knee and I stopped doing it when I had the flu. That's when the knee really started to heal. The doc said if the rehab was irritating it to stop.

The outpatient surgical center at the docs' offices is the best I've been in. I told them I am allergic to fluoride and the anesthetist and nurse went through all the meds they would be using and made sure none contained fluoride. I just found out that some meds used in anesthesia contain fluoride to help them work in the brain. This is the first surgery I ever awoke from feeling bright and alert and not nauseated. I walked from the wheelchair to the car and climbed in by myself. I walked on the leg that day in between exercising it and elevating it.

I only took one week off from work where I stand working as a cashier. I only work part time, never longer than six hours a day and never longer than four and one-half hours without a break. I iced the knee on my breaks. My knee swelled above the joint for a while but no longer does.

I know we are all different. A woman I work with had her knee done and she's been off two weeks. She had hers done at the same place but a different doc. She had two tears and perhaps that makes a difference.

Good luck to you if you decide to go for it.

Love, Mikie
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

It usually refers to either of two specific parts of CARTILAGE of the knee. Although menisci are largely associated with the knee, they are similiar in function to structures called articular disks in other parts of the body......Manganese is REQUIRED for healthy nerves, muscles, connective tissue, and cartilage. You can't get it in your diet cause long ago it was removed from things made from flour. It was removed from flour so that pasta, bread, and other things made from flour would be smooth and completely white. I grew up eating things made from white flour. I imagine this is why it hurts to squat and bend my knees. I imagine this is why I had tennis elbow. I also imagine this is why I had plantar fasciatus. This is also why I am starting to have degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel, and now Fibromyalgia.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Have you been able to find out how much manganese we need each day? It is in my multivitamin and in my Healthy Joint supplement. According to the label on the joint supp, 2 mgs. is 100 percent of the RDA of manganese. There is another 2.5 mgs. in my multi. Can one take too much or is any excess excreted in the urine? Foggy minds want to know :)

BTW, some experts are now saying that the glucosamine and chondroitan are also good for the cartlidge.

Love, Mikie
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have two friends who actually had arthroscopy the same day at the same hospital.

One friend responded very well and one did not.

Go figure!!

Whatever decision you make, good luck.

9. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Thank you for your responses and I will digest all the information for sure. Woofman, I'll look up all the information you suggested. It may be good for me to start on something now because if I decide to have the surgery, it'll probably be a bit before it'll be scheduled and I could get a good start on getting what I need. That might help me heal better too.

Mickie, I'll check with my doctor on the anesthesia (no fluoride). I was thinking if I do have the surgery, maybe a spinal would be an option; I spoke with the doctor about this and he said it's not a problem and some do decide on the spinal over general. I think I'll also look up anesthesia and see what I can find.

All of your responses have helped me and if I make the decision to have the surgery as I know at least some of my fellow "FMSers" have gone through it without too much suffering from their illnesses.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that this time, I awoke feeling as though I had just had a wonderful, restful sleep. I have to wonder whether it's because they didn't use the fluride.

Love, Mikie
  11. jaltair

jaltair New Member

It may have been, especially if you have allergies to it.

I felt the way you did (wonderful, restful sleep) after I had my outpatient tongue biopsy; however, the propofol (Diprivan) that they used isn't long enough acting to go through the arthroscopy procedure. It was wonderful!

I've looked up the effects of fluoride in anesthesias and found they do create problems in the kidneys. I'm going to continue to do research when my brain and strength will allow it.

Today has really been a bad one. I don't know if it's the FMS / lupus or from trying to do my exercises "3 x's per day." I've slept soooo much and still feel very achy and somewhat nauseated. Yuk!

Thanks for your input and thoughts.

L, Jeannette
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I pray you are feeling better.

I just hope that if I ever need surgery again, I have an anesthetist who is as wonderful as this one.

Take care and I hope you improve.

Love, Mikie
  13. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Jaltair,

I had orthscopic surgery on my knee about 16 years ago. It was primarily for worn down cartilage.

They used general anesthesia on me, and it really knocked me down for several months. Tansy has done some posts on the effects of anesthesia on mitochondrial function. I think there's a lot to that and should be kept in mind for anybody considering general anesthesia.

I found out after the operation that they could have done a local anesthesia. Never told me, otherwise I would have opted for it. Just wanted to let you know you may have options on the anesthesia.

Regarding recuperation... They gave me exercises to do that were very irritating and caused me more harm than good. I went for years with a fairly atrophied upper left leg, with continuing pain syndromes in my knee and upper leg. Didn't really seem to have done a lot for me.

Getting the Atlas Profilax alignment last year seems to have relieved a lot of pressure on my knee joint, and my knee and leg are now better than they have been for years, even before I had the surgery.

I guess the main point here is to be aware of any anesthesia options you have available. These choices can be very important for many of us with these DDs.

Regards, Wayne

P.S. A friend of mine had two unsuccessful orthscopic surgeries on his elbow. A third doctor said he felt he could fix it. The third one was the charm. Goes to show that success rates probably have a lot to do with the expertise of the surgeon.
  14. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Thanks Wayne

I'm really down on the general for sure and if I have to have it done, it'll be the spinal block. I haven't found out about any local anesthesia ... will research.

I'm doing the physical therapy and exercises and am so tired right now just from doing my own 3 x's a day I feel terrible! Between the am's and pm's, I've slept. Could be the FMS, CFS, or whatever I suppose. My knee is less painful when I walk on it; however, I have a pain down the outside of my lower leg that seems to persist. I'm sure it's the muscle.

I think a lot of successes have to do with "on the ball" docs for sure!

Thanks for the input and stimulus for thought!