article by Dr. Cheney about Klonopin-excellent!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ally51, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ally51

ally51 New Member

Just wanted to let you know of an article Dr. Cheney wrote about the impt. of Klonopin for those with CFIDS. You can find it on www.immunesupport.com/library.He feels that Klonopin is very impt for us as it helps protect our brains against what he calls "excitatory neurotoxicity" which has to do with the injury to our brains from the CFIDS. He feels the "wired" feeling we feel is the shift towards our brains to go into a seizure mode. He explains it much better! I have been taking .5mg of Klonopin morning and night since coming down with CFIDS and do not have as much of the cognitive problems or the degree of them many others do-am hoping Klonopin has been protecting my brain. Anyway, check it out-that site is a very good one for CFIDS patients. Hope it helps-ally51
  2. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

to help with sleep. I didn't realize how much this is helping me. I ran out a few weeks ago, (forgot to order) and was off of it for a week. What a difference I felt like a walking zombie.

Didn't realize how bad I use to feel all the time. This has been a god send for me.

Thanks I will check out the article.

Laura
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have a wonderful Library here which can be accessed by clicking on Library in the strip above. Dr. Cheney's articles can be brought up by doing a search on Cheney. The article you mentioned is an excellent one. There are two on the list and the longer, better version is the second one; I think it's on page 3 of the list. There is a sister article on SSRI's and stimulants which is excellent as well.

You are right; this is an excellent website for those of us with CFIDS and with FMS. There is a Store here which sells products helpful for our specific problems and a large part of the profits go toward research in our illnesses. ProHealth, the sponsor of ImmuneSupport, has raised more than $2.5 million to date.

There is a doctor referral one can check to find docs who treat our illnesses. The info on them is supplied by patients.

Thank you for bringing this up. Dr. Cheney is one of my favorites.

Love, Mikie
  4. kalaya

kalaya New Member

If klonipin works for you then this is all well and good but I would like to add that this stuff can be addicting.I take Adderall for fatigue so I take a med that also has addiction potential but do not take it every day and have never felt that I was becoming addicted.I have read testimonies here and other sites dedicated to cfids of people who used klonipin,then decided to stop and many said that quitting klonipin was torture.Even though the docs said addiction was virtualy a non issue they suffered painfull withdrawl when they ceased using the med.Hope this never happens to you.God bless.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Withdrawal does not equate to addiction. Even docs often don't know the difference between psychological addiction and physical dependence. That one goes through withdrawal means that the body has physically become dependent on the med in question.

Psychological addiction means that someone is getting high and will do anything to get their drug. It quickly takes more and more to get the same high. An addict displays addictive behavior and drug seeking behavior. While it is possible to become addicted to anything, including sex, shopping, and chocolate, most who take Klonopin become physically dependent on it and not psychologically addicted.

The distinction is very important because docs and patients can develop a "Reefer Madness" fear of meds, which might otherwise be helpful, due to misinformation. It is important for patients to know that if they need to stop taking the drugs, they will have to very slowly wean off of them, but they should not be told these meds are addictive. It is OK to let them know that the potential for addiction exists but not that the drugs themselves are addictive. The potential for addiction resides in the person and not the med.

I'm glad this was brought up because I suspect that docs are telling this to their patients and scaring the daylights out of them. They do the same with opiates. Very few who take them for chronic pain become addicted but it can happen. Opiates are probably safer than Tylenol for chronic pain but again, there is a "Reefer Madness" attitude toward them.

In case anyone wonders what "Reefer Madness" is--there was a movie made in the 40's about marijuana which exagerated the dangers of it in order to scare people away from using it. The movie has developed a cult following and is very interesting to watch from an historical perspective in how Hollywood teamed up with the govt. to produce propaganda movies to sway public opinion. Same with watching war movies made during WWII. Many even had a message to buy war bonds at the end. But I digress...

Each of us has to decide on which drugs to take. It is important to weigh the potential benefits versus the potential risks, including the risk of addiction and physical dependence. It is unfortunate that even some docs don't know the difference. Also, they have the DEA breathing down their necks all the time, so it is often easier for them to scare patients away from some drugs. Heck, some docs have been scared off themselves unnecessarily.

Love, Mikie
  6. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

I would only add one thing - that Docs too often forget about how our quality of life is affected by prescribing - or NOT prescribing - adequate pain medication.
    And for me, my quality of life is primary since I'm on SSDI and no longer working [ie, no longer a 'productive member of society', at least to some people].
    So having some relief from the pain that allows me to function even a little more normally is SO important. And I'm fortunate to have a Doc who agrees and works with me on this.

Char