Article by Dr Jonathan Kerr........CHECK IT OUT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Apr 8, 2008.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I thought that many of you would enjoy reading this encouraging piece of news I found on the web....bluebottle has brought to my attention that Dr Kerr is optomistic with a test soon for our dd....this is HUGE!

Thank you bluebottle my dear.....for bringing this to my attention....I had no clue he was this close...this is factastic news....because once a test.....the cure or controlling medication is right around the bend! :)

Hip Hip Hooray!

[This Message was Edited on 04/09/2008]
  2. CountDuckula

CountDuckula New Member

Thanks for this.

I am also looking forward to there being a test, I know some people think I'm putting it on and malingering. Someone once told me I should pull myself together :/

Exciting news!
  3. cct

cct Member

Thanks for supplying the Telegraph article information regarding Dr. Kerr's hope to find a CFS blood protein biomarker.

I agree with you . . .this is HUGE !

Hoefully we will be able to learn more about his plans for finding this biomarker once we receive a report on his presentation at Cambridge.

I have printed the Telegraph article and will add it to my Dr. Kerr file.

Best wishes,

4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

research. Thanks for posting it Doxy.

5. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I just feel so "happy" inside that we could soon have a test!

When I think about all of the members here who have been hurt by friends, family, doctors and others from their ignorant remarks or advice on what they call "all in our head" disease.....

I just get so excited to think that finally from this we will be vindicated!

Just the fact that soon we may no longer have to defend or explain the "REAL EXISTANCE" of this great to look forward to!

I loved what one of the members here wrote on another post about people having to eat their words with a fork and spoon the size of a tractor scoop ( or something to that effect "darn fibrofog" I can't remember who or exactly how they worded it)

but Im sure you get the just...."A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE GOING OT OWE A LOT OF US BIG APOLIGIES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hugs and hope
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

Dr Jonathan Kerr

St George’s Hospital, University of London, London, UK

Background and aims
    The information inherited from our parents (usually in the form of a gene, a sequence of DNA) has to be translated into a product, such as an RNA molecule or a protein, before it can be used by the body, a process called gene expression. In recent years, the number of scientific reports investigating gene expression in ME/CFS has increased steadily, and the genes found to be over or underexpressed seem to be related to ‘immunity and defence’, supporting what is known about the role of the immune system.

Dr Jonathan Kerr’s group has been one of the most active in defining the molecular basis of ME/CFS. Their initial study of gene expression in patients demonstrated marked human gene dysregulation, principally affecting the immune system. And in 2007, the latest in a series of papers was published in the Journal of Clinical Pathology outlining the identification of a putative ‘gene signature’ for the illness consisting of 88 human genes.

These genes can be subdivided into categories by diseases and disorders, say, or by molecular and cellular functions. The research team says that three of the genes identified are directly linked with mitochondrial metabolism, and a further ten have indirect links with mitochondrial metabolism.

As these 88 genes have been linked directly to the pathogenesis of ME/CFS, the next step is to study the inherited determinants of susceptibility by examining single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) — pronounced ‘snips’ — within these genes. Some SNPs have been linked with features and complications which might be associated with ME/CFS (e.g., IL10RA SNPs are associated with lymphoma, a disease which some have speculated occurs more frequently in ME/CFS).

With funding from ME Research UK, the St George’s group will shortly begin the next phase of their work: identifying the key SNPs for each of these 88 genes. As there are hundreds of SNPs within each gene, the team proposes to focus on ‘determinative’ SNPs (i.e., those which are known to predict all or most of the others within one gene); there are typically 3 to 7 per gene. Once these have been identified, the researchers will design and use low density array cards to test genomic DNA samples of 105 patients in the initial sample group. After comparing allele frequencies between the ME/CFS and control groups, the allele frequencies will be related to the gene expression levels.

The results will indicate those genes within the 88-gene ‘signature’ for which inherited determinants exist, and provide a thorough genomic database from which to determine the role that these SNPs may play in the pathogenesis of ME/CFS.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

Bless you doxygirl but unfortunately Dr Kerr has been on the brink of this blood test for several years. He & Dr Gow being deliberately & repeatedly refused funding by the UK government, who will only fund psychological based treatment and research such as Prof Wessely's.This is scandalously delaying their vital research.

To give to Dr Kerr's research go to:

(Even with his & everybody else's biomedical research results, UK patients are still being told it is 'all in our heads!')

8. tansy

tansy New Member

to support the work of the psychobabblers; nothing for the serious biomedical researchers.

Since the CDC quote the UK, and provide a link to the NICE Guidelines, everyone in the US should be very cautious about depending upon them to provide balanced and accurate information/advice.

tc, Tansy
  9. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

you're right, any progress made is being lost by the CDC reverting to UK's ME guidelines.

That is what I spoke about when I testified to the CFS Advisory Committee, for the committe to block these efforts.

10. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Marti

I know how difficult it is for anyone with this illness to make a presentation like that. This illness affects large numbers worldwide. ME/CFS can no longer be claimed a cultural thing (yep the psychoabblers have even used that argument) or purely the consequence of stress.

We can all do something and we need to keep the momentum going internationally.

tc, Tansy
  11. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I presented by phone so it wasn't as hard as it was for Joe. I hope to be there face to face some time in the future.

Doxygirl, I know you are an optimistic person and a happy one it seems but you have to understand how long these things take. It is difficult for newbies or sick people to really grasp the reality and by stating that "this is huge" and "just around the bend" and "soon" is setting up false hopes and may lead to discouragement.

Also, I am concerned that it will make people stop advocacy. Kerr's study is patient funded. For it to be accepted by any govt. a duplicate study WILL have to be done, that is after a peer review publication. That add's another 5 years. We have a long way to go and need to pace ourselves and push govt's as if nothing were on the horizon because it really isn't. Kerr's study, while it may be close, has not been completed and until the data is analyzed, we don't know if the data will support his hypothesis.

Not trying to burst your bubble but I also don't want Kerr's name to be mud when he didn't meet expectations.

All the best,
  12. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Thanks everyone who is digging up all this info from Dr. Kerr. My daughter and I are PWC who were part of the intial study and will continue into phase II. Should know more this week and will post our findings as soon as we know more.

I firmly believe Dr. Kerr is onto something big here and remain very hopeful.

13. thecatswhiskers

thecatswhiskers New Member

........... ?????