Article:Chronic bacterial and viral infections in Neuro Diseases

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nanie46, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

This is a very interesting article that addresses chronic bacterial and viral infections as causes of diseases such as CFS (page 5), ALS, MS, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Autism, and Lyme disease.

Here is the link:

http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/documents/ME-CFS_docs/Chronic%20Bacterial%20&%20Viral%20Infections,%20Neurodegenearative,%20Neurobehavioral%20Diseases.pdf

In case you couldn't get to the link here is a paraphrased version of the part about CFS:

A large subset of CFS patients can be characterized by the presence of chronic bacterial and viral infections......such as mycoplasma (51%), C. pneumoniae (8%), and active HHV-6 (30%).

A sizeable percentage of CFS/ME patients are also infected with Borrelia burgdorferi (lyme).

Other infections are also found in CFS patients such as CMV, enteroviruses and HHV-7.

You can also find it by Googling "chronic bacterial and viral infections in Neuro"....go to the 2nd result (not the first one in medscape).

[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2009]
  2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi jam,

I changed the link. I had made it a tiny url because it is long...but I changed it back to the long one so you could access it without worry. Try it again.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

if the link is too long to look at and type, just highlight it, then copy and paste it onto the place where you would normally type it

although when I just tried to do that to this link, I got a french site

if the article is not terribly long maybe someone could post the whole article on here (or just the relevant part)....or the title so we could google that, as you suggested[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2009]
  4. outofstep

outofstep Member

Title is "Chronic Bacterial and Viral Infections in Neurodegenerative and Neurobehavioral Diseases"
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

You can find it by going to Google and searching for "chronic bacterial and viral infections in Neuro"......go to the 2nd result (not the first one in Medscape).
  6. equanimous

equanimous New Member

Just wanted to say your post made me chuckle at the irony that you can't access this article about viruses for fear of getting a virus. Hope you found a way around it! ;-)
  7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

a few doctors are using antivirals (valcyte) for some type of MS with some success. i know dr. brewer has done it as well as some doctor in spain.
  8. munch1958

munch1958 Member

http://www.miklossy.ch/401/index.html
  9. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

In case you couldn't get to the link here is a paraphrased version of the part about CFS:

A large subset of CFS patients can be characterized by the presence of chronic bacterial and viral infections......such as mycoplasma (51%), C. pneumoniae (8%), and active HHV-6 (30%).

A sizeable percentage of CFS/ME patients are also infected with Borrelia burgdorferi (lyme).

Other infections are also found in CFS patients such as CMV, enteroviruses and HHV-7.

10. aftermath

aftermath New Member

This still does not tell us if the infections are the chicken or the egg.

Are immune systems broken because of infection? Or, does an immune deficiency allow the infections to take hold?
  11. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I think it makes sense to treat the infections properly and note the patients response to treatment.

For Borrelia burgdorferi, a Lyme literate MD is required, since 99% of Dr's do not know how to properly recognize, diagnose or treat this chronic infection properly.