Article from Hometown Newspaper (Long)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marinemom, Nov 18, 2002.

1. marinemom

marinemom New Member

I just read this and thought I would share it.

"Surgeon waits on hearing
    By Leigh Kelley
    Times-News Staff Writer
    November 19, 2002

The N.C. Medical Board has suspended the license of a Hendersonville neurosurgeon, charging him with performing unnecessary surgery and failing to provide adequate postoperative care to his patients.

But the treatment a East Flat Rock woman received from the doctor was excellent, the patient said Monday.

On Friday, the state Medical Board summarily suspended the license of Dr. Michael Rosner, a physician on the staff at Park Ridge Hospital in Fletcher.

The 90 charges and allegations issued by the board included problems with the treatment of nine patients.

Rosner was featured on the ABC newsmagazine “20/20” last March concerning a procedure for a controversial skull surgery that he said helped patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.

A summary suspension means the physician must stop practicing immediately pending the outcome of a hearing medical board spokesman Dale Breaden said Monday.

The allegations against Rosner are only charges not proven fact, Breaden said.

“In a majority of cases, the person remains in practice, but in a summary case, where the board has acted for the sake of public safety, it is incumbent on the board to move as quickly as they can,” he said.

A hearing on Rosner’s case will be heard as soon as both sides can agree on a meeting time, Breaden said.

The 12-member medical board acts as the hearing body and under the law, votes on what the result will be, he said. Disciplinary action can range from suspension to annulment to revocation of a physician’s license. Or the parties involved could come to a mutual agreement.

“They may put some sort of a restriction on practicing in which case the person may be allowed to practice within a certain period of time under controlled restrictions,” Breaden said.

Disciplinary action may be appealed to the Wake County Superior Court.

The charges brought against Rosner are infuriating, said Gretchen Osteen, one of Rosner’s patients.

“I feel that this has very little to do with the nine patients who did not get well, it has more to do with the controversy surrounding fibromyalgia,” she said. “I went to doctors who got very angry with me for even bringing up the word fibromyalgia.”

Fibromyalgia is inflammation or pain in the muscles, muscle sheaths and connective-tissue layers of tendons, muscles, bones and joints. It affects the muscular areas of the lower back, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, hips and thighs. Fibromyalgia usually occurs in adults between the ages of 30 and 60.

Osteen, 32, said she suffered from severe weakness, especially on her left side, low blood pressure, unexplained rashes, serious allergies, memory loss, pain in her arms and muscles along, bowel and bladder problems along with problems surrounding her motor skills. Her symptoms left her unable to sleep, work or take care of her family, she said.

Rosner determined Osteen did not have fibromyalgia, but Chiara Malformation, which means a person’s skull is not formed correctly, causing the brain to be compressed so that signals to the rest of the body are interrupted, she said. The East Flat Rock woman had surgery Feb. 15 with positive results, she said.

“I am now at work at a job I love working with handicapped people,” Osteen said. “I have never felt better in my life.”

In responding to the allegations, Rosner said his work speaks for itself.

“These charges are very superficial and I think are politically motivated,” Rosner said. “We have a very good track record and we’re proud of the work we’ve done.”
  2. marinemom

marinemom New Member

I just read this and thought I would share it.

"Surgeon waits on hearing
    By Leigh Kelley
    Times-News Staff Writer
    November 19, 2002

The N.C. Medical Board has suspended the license of a Hendersonville neurosurgeon, charging him with performing unnecessary surgery and failing to provide adequate postoperative care to his patients.

But the treatment a East Flat Rock woman received from the doctor was excellent, the patient said Monday.

On Friday, the state Medical Board summarily suspended the license of Dr. Michael Rosner, a physician on the staff at Park Ridge Hospital in Fletcher.

The 90 charges and allegations issued by the board included problems with the treatment of nine patients.

Rosner was featured on the ABC newsmagazine “20/20” last March concerning a procedure for a controversial skull surgery that he said helped patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia.

A summary suspension means the physician must stop practicing immediately pending the outcome of a hearing medical board spokesman Dale Breaden said Monday.

The allegations against Rosner are only charges not proven fact, Breaden said.

“In a majority of cases, the person remains in practice, but in a summary case, where the board has acted for the sake of public safety, it is incumbent on the board to move as quickly as they can,” he said.

A hearing on Rosner’s case will be heard as soon as both sides can agree on a meeting time, Breaden said.

The 12-member medical board acts as the hearing body and under the law, votes on what the result will be, he said. Disciplinary action can range from suspension to annulment to revocation of a physician’s license. Or the parties involved could come to a mutual agreement.

“They may put some sort of a restriction on practicing in which case the person may be allowed to practice within a certain period of time under controlled restrictions,” Breaden said.

Disciplinary action may be appealed to the Wake County Superior Court.

The charges brought against Rosner are infuriating, said Gretchen Osteen, one of Rosner’s patients.

“I feel that this has very little to do with the nine patients who did not get well, it has more to do with the controversy surrounding fibromyalgia,” she said. “I went to doctors who got very angry with me for even bringing up the word fibromyalgia.”

Fibromyalgia is inflammation or pain in the muscles, muscle sheaths and connective-tissue layers of tendons, muscles, bones and joints. It affects the muscular areas of the lower back, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, hips and thighs. Fibromyalgia usually occurs in adults between the ages of 30 and 60.

Osteen, 32, said she suffered from severe weakness, especially on her left side, low blood pressure, unexplained rashes, serious allergies, memory loss, pain in her arms and muscles along, bowel and bladder problems along with problems surrounding her motor skills. Her symptoms left her unable to sleep, work or take care of her family, she said.

Rosner determined Osteen did not have fibromyalgia, but Chiara Malformation, which means a person’s skull is not formed correctly, causing the brain to be compressed so that signals to the rest of the body are interrupted, she said. The East Flat Rock woman had surgery Feb. 15 with positive results, she said.

“I am now at work at a job I love working with handicapped people,” Osteen said. “I have never felt better in my life.”

In responding to the allegations, Rosner said his work speaks for itself.

“These charges are very superficial and I think are politically motivated,” Rosner said. “We have a very good track record and we’re proud of the work we’ve done.”
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I believe it is called Chiari and someone here just had this surgery and if memory serves (ha, ha) the surgery was successful.

Love, Mikie