Article: Health Insurance Covers Transfer Factor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shinlee, Mar 9, 2006.

1. shinlee

shinlee New Member

Hi all.

Came across this article on a health website. I hope this coverage is still in affect and will benefit some.

Lisa
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Health Insurance Covers Transfer Factor
    A United States Court has ruled in favor of an insurance claimant.
    Transfer factor is not to be considered an "experimental" since the substance has been used by the medical community for many years, and has been covered by several health insurance carriers. Numerous studies were cited that showed the effectiveness of transfer factor as an immune disorder treatment. Blue Cross Blue Shield among other carriers has reimbursed historically for transfer factor use. Transfer factor is covered under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act. A Medicare carrier is responsible to reimburse to the extent of the claim (i.e. 80% if an 80/20 plan minus an unmet deductible, if any). Cited case 565-36-34896A - (HIC) 000-99-0053 - Docket Number

April 25, 1989 - Date of Judge Stanley S. Sadur's Ruling

Administrative Law Judge Office of Hearings and Appeals 24th Floor
    100 Van Hess Ave. San Francisco CA 94102

Department of Health and Human Services
    Social Security Administration
    Office of Hearings and Appeals

Marna Slocam (Claimant/Beneficiary)
    vs.
    Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas (Carrier/Intermediary)

Amount of Claim - $1400.00

We have reports of three other cases where clients were reimbursed by their insurance companies (in accordance with their 80/20 policies). Each regional office of each company will be different. You will probably have to educate your insurance company yourself. Use any information on this site to help . You may also need something from your doctor.

This information is reported by a third party for your own use. We cannot accept any responsibility for the actions of an insurance company or an attorney. If your insurance company is unfamiliar with Transfer Factor, you will have to educate them on what it is and what it is used for. Feel free to use any information on this site for that purpose.
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

That is about the best news I've heard all week. And BC/BS in my insurance company. Yipeeeee. I have also seen the same for CoQ10. Will post it if I ever find it again.
  3. shinlee

shinlee New Member

I pray your insurance will cover the cost of Transfer Factor. I came across this info while searching for use of TF for bipolar disorder. My 17 yo son was diagnosed with this disorder 3 years ago. I'm searching for natural alternatives as he is on high doses of several medications. Omega 3 fish oil is one promising supplement - he hates the taste, though.

Please keep us all informed about your insurance company's policy for covering TF and if indeed you will be reimbursed for costs.

Take care.

Lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 03/09/2006]
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

that way it is supposed to dissolve inlower tummy and not make him butp the stuff up...

jodie
  5. Defibro

Defibro New Member

Thanks for the good news..!
    Transfer Factor 4000 is not an Rx.,I take TF 4000 supplied by the FFC (Advanced Medical lab), the bottle costs around $85, are we talking about the same thing (dietary supplement)?

To whom would I submit the claim : United Health Care (my health insurance), or Medco Health (drug supplier)?

We use to have BC/BS as our health ins. but Medcohealth was
    always our drug supplier.

Please clarify , and thanks again..

Hugs, Defibro
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most of the time, one must call customer service and ask for a claim form. If the insurance company denies the claim, one must file a grievance. Persistance pays off.

Love, Mikie
  7. shinlee

shinlee New Member

hello ladies.

Jodieplace(freezing fish oil).

Thank you for the helpful information regarding freezing fish oil. I have been refrigerating, but you say to freeze to help the oil dissolve in lower tummy. Is this in the small intestine where nutrients are absorbed? I've read much on the importance of supplements reaching the small intestine to ensure proper absorbtion.

It's also important to use a reputable brand of fish oil that does not contain mercury, PCBs, etc. I've used Carlsons and NOW brand.

defibro (transfer factor submission to insurance co.)
    Post script to the article the health website mentions "...use any information on this website to help..."
    To find more information on this subject and to possibly address the question to the site's owner, you can do a
    GOOGLE search: wellness cafe, transfer factor.

Mikie...

Hi. It's been awhile since my last posting. Hope you are doing well.

Hugs to you all.

Lisa

8. neen85

neen85 New Member

Great info! Good to see you on here! I have been away for quite a while. So many people are gone and new ones have arrived. I was just talking to a friend and wondering about you the other day! Glad to hear from you! Daneen