Article in new Better Homes and Gardens

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deecrossett, Sep 30, 2002.

1. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

I received my new Better Homes and Gardens today and lo and behold, there was an article about Fibromyalgia in it. That was the good news. The bad news is; 1) it's a very incomplete portrayal of Fibromyalgia and it's victims, 2) it downplays symptoms, ie - pain, fatigue, pain, and being hand in hand with CFS in most cases 3) incorrect information is given on managing this disease, ie - only Ibuprofen is mentioned as a medication to manage pain. 4) there is no mention of this diseases disabling the victims or how many are affected by it. I will be writing this magazine with my concerns as to the article and the ineptitude of the supposed journalist. You can join me in complaining if you would like to, I do recommend that you read the article first to familiarize yourself with it. I believe you can read it online.
    God bless,
    Deena
  2. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

I received my new Better Homes and Gardens today and lo and behold, there was an article about Fibromyalgia in it. That was the good news. The bad news is; 1) it's a very incomplete portrayal of Fibromyalgia and it's victims, 2) it downplays symptoms, ie - pain, fatigue, pain, and being hand in hand with CFS in most cases 3) incorrect information is given on managing this disease, ie - only Ibuprofen is mentioned as a medication to manage pain. 4) there is no mention of this diseases disabling the victims or how many are affected by it. I will be writing this magazine with my concerns as to the article and the ineptitude of the supposed journalist. You can join me in complaining if you would like to, I do recommend that you read the article first to familiarize yourself with it. I believe you can read it online.
    God bless,
    Deena
  3. sean

sean New Member

Hi, Deena I have been to the BHG website, but you need to subscribe to see the health section. Other than getting hold of a magazine I won't be able to view the article. So I wondered if you could perhaps scan the article, and copy it to the message board. I'm sure a lot of other people will be most interested in seeing this. Although I didnt, see it I heard about a t.v drama, recently shown in the u.k, down playing the symptoms of FMS, making us out to be hypochondriacs, also heard something about a past judge judy case in which the tv personality come judge, come ignorant person, said to the lady in question that if she can look after to kids, she was fit to work. (I mean what's she supposed to do give her kids up for adoption or something) It seems the media wan't to portray sufferers of FMS and CFS, as whingeing lazy hypochondriacs, If your article is as negetive toward the condition as it sounds, and I can see that for myself. I won't hessitate to contact the magazine with complaint. It's all we need the media down playing these conditions.
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

I can't find it. Thanks, Kim
  5. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

Sean, I will email James and ask if I can post it, I do have a scanner. Otherwise, I signed up for their site years ago, so I assume you have to in order to view their articles. Or there's always the library, I worked in one years ago and all the latest mags were displayed for all to read. As far as what page it's on, for Gary and Kim, it is in the November issue, page 252. Of course, it's stuck in the back of the book. Thanks!
    Deena
  6. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

My appologies; apparently the BHG site doesn't update very well. The article is not there and probably won't be for quite a while. I'll see if I can scan it.
    Deena
  7. allhart

allhart New Member

as soon as i get my mag ill wright them to and send them more info espaially how this dd keeps my mag setting sometimes for days because i dont have the strenth
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

I'll read the article as soon as I come up for air this week and write a response too. Mine came in the mail tonight, but I'm getting ready to attend a two day workshop, so I'll be more than busy for the next few days.

Thanks for letting us know to look for it.

Barbara
  9. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

not Nov yet. I sure hope you can scan it in. Maybe we all should write BHG and send them one of the guides above. I hate it when info is wrong. The guide doesn't mention pain meds either just the words medications. I do not like that it doesn't mention that but, hay nothing is perfect. But, otherwise is a very good guide to give out to all you can. If you haven't gotten them yet it is always the first topic on each page and you can get 99 at one time for free and they come quickly.

Thanks for the info, Kim and Gary
  10. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi Deena,
    I do hope that you are allowed to scan this article for the list. I face an 80 mile round trip to get to the library & I frankly don't think it is worth it. I will be happy to support all of you by sending a letter of objection to the magazine however. Irresponsible journalism seems to be the industry standard today. It is not just one publication, it's every magazine & newspaper in the country. Perhaps if they get enough response they will publish a correction or an update. We can always hope. One thing that frequently has an affect when writing to a magazine is to threaten to also write all the advertisers and tell them that, based on the inaccuracies of the article, you will no longer be buying any products advertised in that magazine. THAT tends to get the editors' attention.
    Kathryn
  11. fibolady

fibolady New Member

how can so many be so uninformed! there was an article in an issue of More magazine that was so offensive (she cured herself, by running, all in her head, etc) i couldn't believe it, made me want to cry when i read it. no wonder the general public doesn't understand when they believe everything they read in these publications. i will never renew that More magazine!
  12. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

What issue of More was it? What did the article say? Was it about that woman in San Diego CA going around? I just got a subscription.
    Thanks.
  13. sean

sean New Member

Reeder, I havent read the artle but you have brought up a very good point. Not everyone is really badly effected with this condition, but a lot are. You can't generalise this condition. That is to be completely ignorant, and uninformed. From what I can gather this is what the magazine has done. It has taken one persons account of what the condition is like. (Poor example at that) I read a message on this board recently, where someone who was supposedly suffering from CFS or FMS can't remember which, said that people should get off their butts and stop whingeing, and made a comparison to another disability, suggesting that everyone is as I remember lucky in comparison. People are quick to make comparisons and down play this condition. Unfortunately it looks like that is the way it is likely to be for sometime, due to people's ignorance and inability to gather the full facts. So my message to these people would be, don't speak on matters you know little or nothing about.
  14. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Thank you Deena,
    You brought a interesting issue here to the board.
    I've never felt as deeply about negative articles and
    attitudes as I do now. I feel it is very important to
    express our opinions to the editor as positivly as we
    can.

It does anger me, but, I hope to find a positive, and
    tactful way of expressing it to them.

Thanks for your post.
    LadyDi

ps Looking forward to the follow ups!
  15. totteacher

totteacher New Member

Hi Deena--

I think the article you are refering to is the same one I read while waiting in a dentist office. At the time I thought that the article was very inacurate but I sure didn't think to put a post here about it. Glad you thought to do that.
    Can we make a comment to BHG on line or do we need a name and address to do that through the snail mail? As I don't subscribe to the magazine, would you be able to provide a place we can send comments? I would like to give them my opinion of their article as well! Thank you for bringing this up.

Linda
  16. teach6

teach6 New Member

Last night I was all ready to read the article in my newly arrived BHG and couldn't find it. Then I looked on the cover and discovered it was the October issue. My Post Office has a terrible delivery record. I never received things like tax bills that were mailed last summer, among other things. Our homeowners association complained because the service is so bad and so many people receive mail that belongs to someone else.

Barbara
  17. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

Due to unforeseen curcumstances beyond my control....lol! Sorry about not getting the article up yet, computing and scanning apparently weren't on my menu for today (the explanation is on the Chit Chat Board). You will have that article to read tomorrow, one way or another. I will also post the mailing address to send your comments to BHG. Have a good night, I'm whining and begging to.
    God bless,
    Deena
  18. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Deena,

Wanted to say thanks again for your efforts!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep looking here to find more.

LadyDi
  19. achy

achy New Member

But when it does I can scan it if somebody else hasn't done so already...
    We are getting more and more publicity, but most is negative.
    Achy