Article in newspaper today on cfs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crickett, Sep 25, 2011.

1. crickett

crickett New Member

Very frustrated!!!! Why do they keep on doing this 2 us???? I was reading the newspaper today when I saw a article on Cfs and virus!! I thought yes lord it really is a virus , but as I read further down there they go a again But sciencetist still say it's blunted?????? Why do they publish this especially when there are so many of us praying for answers and away back to living a some what normal life!!!! Just frustrated
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

What do you mean by blunted??
  3. crickett

crickett New Member

The way I'm taking it that some scientist thinks it xmrv does not exist
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

No one has been able to duplicate the WPIs originally findings; that includes the WPI.

>>>The authors took blood samples from 15 people who had been found to be XMRV-positive, 14 of which had CFS, and 15 donors negative for the virus, and had 9 labs test them blindly. As their abstract concludes:

Only two laboratories reported evidence of XMRV/MLVs; however, replicate sample results showed disagreement and reactivity was similar among CFS subjects and negative controls. These results indicate that current assays do not reproducibly detect XMRV/MLV in blood samples and that blood donor screening is not warranted.<<<
  5. simonedb

simonedb Member

its a pretty complex, nuanced story.......I am too beat to try to tell the short version but if you go to this forum you can get a lot more info about what happened with xmrv
    But its prudent from what Judy Mikovitz says to keep exploring the retroviruses, scientists likely picked up a variant of xmrv, one word they are using to refer to that class of viruses is HGRV
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Also test overwhelmingly high for mycoplasmas, Lyme, CVM, EBV, HHV6, and other pathogens. XMRV may have a connection to CFIDS/ME if the test can be replicated but there is a huge gap between a connection and causality.

Genetic studies have also shown abnormal genes in PWC. Do the infections damage our genes or are we genetically predisposed to CFIDS/ME if we get infected by something. Some PWC have their illness triggered by stress, exposure to toxins or trauma. My money is on genetic predisposition but what causes the defective genes? The more we research, the more questions we have.

I also get upset when there is premature press over research that later doesn't pan out. To be statistically reliable, any research has to have, at minimum 30 participants in the study group and the control group.

None of this helps our cause except to get the conditions out there so that, hopefully, people will one day realize that, regardless of the cause, our conditions are real. This is not unlike cancer research. Cancer is one condition with many variations or, as some docs now claim, "It's not one disease; it's many diseases." Many CFIDS/ME researchers are now of the opinion that CFIDS/ME has many subsets.

Love, Mikie