Article in this month's Ms. MAGAZINE about CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepyinlalaland, Jul 25, 2006.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I was at the library yesterday and saw the current Ms. Magazine. I'm pretty sure it was July's, could possibly have been August.

Anyway on the COVER they refer to an interior article about the increasing evidence of validity of CFS, and a short history of how the medical field did not take the condition seriously (after all, it affects mostly women) for so long. Anyway, I believe the liner on the cover reads something like "a WAKE UP call for Chronic Fatigue"

Thank you Ms.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2006]
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for posting this. Slooooooooooooooowly the word is getting out.

Marta
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Did the cover say "chronic fatigue" or chronic fatigue syndrome? The two are NOT interchangeable.

Many unethical researchers and supplement companies over the years have used these terms as one: they are NOT.

The word syndrome should always be used with chronic fatigue if one means the Canadian Criteria illness that often debilitates one so badly as to destroy their old way of life.

The CDC criteria is dumb-downed and if these ads make anyone say the word "stress-related" to me, there is no telling how I will react.

I do not believe this ad campaign will be helpful to us, can you tell?

Be aware, and compare what they say and what the real research says.

findmind
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I don't recall if it was referred to as CF or CFS. I'm not aware of the controversy around the distinction between the two. I'll have to read more about that.

I myself didn't see anything misleading or upsetting about the article. While it did not go into depth, it basically just said that FINALLY, proof of the disorder (syndrome, disease..?) is coming to light. The reason it was a cover story in MS, is because it is a condition that PRIMARILY afflicts women, and that is possibly a reason for it not getting serious research for so long.

I was glad to see a national magazine (although not so widely read these days) bring attention to ..."the condition"...on its cover.

5. Angelimbo

Angelimbo New Member

I'm so dingy, I thought you were saying "MS Magazine", as in "Multiple Sclerosis"!!! I didn't pay attention to the period you put after the letters - i.e. "Ms."

Anyway, I pulled up their website, and I would say that this article is a GOOD thing in terms of awareness of the severity of the symptoms, but I am still concerned about the "research" behind it.

Here is the blurb about the article from the website:

"--Wake-Up Call. Nancy G. Klimas, M.D., one of the nation's foremost experts on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, explores hopeful new research that shows how the disease – so heavily skewed toward women that some have dismissed it as “a woman thing” – may be connected to genetic mutations involving the immune system, brain and endocrine regulation. Nancy G. Klimas, M.D available for interviews."

I know that Klimas is a long-time researcher of this DD, and I am glad that people are becoming more aware that the illness is REAL.....but I can't help but be really bothered by the "implications" of calling this illness a "genetic mutation".

I don't think that really helps "us".....because it is still being portrayed as a DEFECT, which, although it no longer "places the blame" on the patient's attitude or lifestyle, it still portrays us as .....what's the word I'm looking for?....."faulty"?

People who don't get it can still use this to "look down on us as somehow damaged and "less than" from the get-go.

I am not saying that the genetic theory is incorrect....I am just saying that people view genetic "defects" as....something to fear and look down on.

Plus the fact that it is just another way of saying, there is little that can be done to treat us.....just like it's always been.

And while this is being "put out there" for the public eye, the bigger issues, such as Garth Nicholson's research and knowledge that these illnesses were deliberately DONE TO US, is getting NO ATTENTION in the mainstream media.

I still believe the "genetic mutation" theory is just another "cover story" to hide some really ugly truths.

Blessings

Angela

[This Message was Edited on 07/25/2006]
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Thanks for the headsup, I'll check out their website. Sounds like I should check out the article in my library if I can't find it on their site.
  7. labrat

labrat New Member

8. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I have many of the symptoms of CFS but it cannot be con-
    sidered as such in a diagnosis because I do have a genetic
    mutation that has similar effects. (Hemochromatosis)
    My illness is under control and treatment is fairly easy.
    However, it is possible that my genetic disorder (in my
    mind) could have been the trigger for the Chronic Fatigue!
    I am very open to any poss. explanation(s) for this dis-
    disorder based on the frame work of good Scientic Method
    anything short of mere speculation or Vodoo Science.

Hello to all my good friends on the Board.
    MRDAD