Article mentions CFS and FMS: The Bartonella Plague Ignored

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nanie46, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Here's a link to an article written by Dr James Schaller.

About 1/2 way down this article he states, when talking about Bartonella, "It is a major contributing infection to chronic fatigue and Fibromyalgia symptom clusters."
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2009]
  2. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I am 100% fibromyalgia free.

I fail to understand why so many accept their doctor's "life sentence" or that you must learn to live with the symptoms of FM and CFS forever. But I'm afraid we are beating a dead horse here Nanie46 because so many have made up their minds to listen to their doctor's "learn to live with it" baloney and here's a number for a psychiatrist.

Because of the position for Lyme treatment by the Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA) most doctors don't understand what is really behind fatigue based illnesses. Plain and simple it's latent (high IgG) and active (high IgM) infections both bacterial and viral, multiple hormone deficiencies especially adrenal and thryoid and hypercoagulation or sticky blood.

Imagine a test for cancer where they press on nerve endings and proclaim because you are sore in that spot that means it's a positive test. No one would accept that! Because they've never studies the biomarkers of illness for CFS and FM this is the only test they have. Yet persons with Fibro are supposed to "learn to live" with excruciating pain on a daily basis and/or profound fatigue.

This doctor, a board certified endocrinologist, (NOT a LLMD) has been interviewed for many articles here:

Lyme Disease Often Missed as a Cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

"Lyme disease is caused by a spiral shaped bacteria (spirochete) called Borrelia burgdorferi. They can be transmitted by tics, but also by mosquitoes. The spirochets have been called “the great imitators” because they can mimic virtually any disease, which is why they are often misdiagnosed. Anyone with chronic illness and especially those with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia need to consider Lyme disease as the cause.

Patients with chronic Lyme disease most commonly have fatigue, joint and muscle pain, sleep disorders and cognitive problems (brain fog). In addition, infection with Borrelia often results in a low grade encephalopathy (infection of the brain) that can result in depression, bipolar disorder, panic attacks, numbness, tingling, burning, weakness, twitching and is associated with neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis, dementia such as Alzheimer’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease). In addition, this infection often results in hormonal deficiencies, abnormal activation of coagulation and immune dysfunction, which potentiate the symptoms. Patients with chronic Lyme disease often complain of “strange” or “weird” symptoms that cannot be explained even after going to numerous doctors and often results in the patient being told that it must be psychological. Patients are often told that they are hypochondriacs and are referred to psychiatrists and counselors.

Because the symptoms are so variable, patients are usually not even considered for testing or treatment. Even if testing is done, however, standard testing will miss over 90% of cases of chronic Lyme disease. The standard testing is an immunoassay test of IgG and IgM antibodies and then a Western blot for confirmation. The problem is that these tests were designed to detect acute Lyme disease and are very poor at detecting chronic Lyme disease. In addition, doctors (infectious disease, internists, family practice, etc.) most often use the Center for Disease Control (CDC) criteria to define a positive test. This criteria was never meant to be used for diagnosis, but rather for epidemiological surveillance (tracking data). If one uses an expanded Western blot with revised requirement criteria for diagnosis, studies have demonstrated an improved sensitivity of detection and a low false-positive rate.

There are also a number of coinfections that are commonly transmitted along with the Lyme bacterium, including Bartonella, Babesia, Ehrlichia and others. There are also different species in different parts of the country, making testing difficult and insensitive. As with Borrelia, the coinfections have a very high percentage of false-negative results (test negative despite infection being present).

Treatment of chronic Lyme disease can also be very problematic as the Borrelia bacteria can transform from the standard cell wall form to a non-cell wall form (l-form) and also into a treatment resistant cyst. Standard antibiotic treatments are only effective against the cell wall form and are ineffective against the L-forms and cystic forms that are usually present in chronic Lyme disease. Consequently, the usual 2-4 weeks of intravenous or oral antibiotics can be of little benefit. Even the use of longer courses of oral or intravenous antibiotics for months or years can be ineffective as well if used a the sole major therapy. A multi-system integrative approach can, however, dramatically increase the likelihood of successful treatment. This includes using a combination of synergistic antibiotics that are effective against the l-forms and cystic forms, immune modulators, directed anti-Lyme nutriceuticals, anticoagulants, hormonal therapies and prescription lysosomotropics (medications that increase the effectiveness and penetration of antibiotics into the various forms of the Borrelia spirochete). To adequately detect and treat chronic Lyme disease, physicians must understand that standard testing will miss the majority of these patients and standard treatment will fail the majority of time. One must undergo more specialized testing and treatment to achieve success in the majority of these patients."

3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi munch,

I'm so glad you are now fibromyalgia free.

Infections are definitely key in these illnesses. The infections, in turn, cause a cascade of events affecting every body system and all your hormones.

Too bad that more people will not find which infections they have, and recover.

I feel awful that so many people are suffering and will suffer for the rest of their lives.
  4. simonedb

simonedb Member

why do u think the establishment wouldnt want to treat cfs fms if they knew how?
    ( i am not saying i dont think thats the case, but dont get the bottom line)
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi simonedb,

My Dr told me that the real bottom line is that it is an insurance co. issue.

Even the long term antibiotic debate, he says, is mute, because antibiotics are used long term for acne with no debate.

It is simply the insurance co's that don't want to pay for something that so many people have, and they know many people need long term treatment, especially when the illness has been undiagnosed for a long time.

It's crazy since they could pay and have lots of people who are doing well again. Instead they will pay for alot of very sick people for the rest of their lives.

As usual, it's all about money.
  6. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

i agree.

its totally about insurance companies and idiot shrinks lobbying against us.

no one cares about doing the right thing anymore.