Article on Atkins diet from an Aussie news site -

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lox, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Lox

Lox New Member

Atkins diet risk

By Jenny Hope and Anna Patty
    August 14, 2003

THE hugely popular Atkins Diet is medically unsound and a major health risk, nutrition experts in Britain and Australia said yesterday.

Renee Zellweger is one of a host of stars who have tried the diet.

The high-protein, high-fat diet followed by stars including Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jennifer Aniston, Geri Halliwell and Renee Zellweger was a giant experiment that could have disastrous effects for millions, they said.

The diet puts extra stress on the kidneys, which can lead to kidney stones and more serious damage – particularly for those with pre-existing problems of which they might be unaware. There is also a fear of bone problems because the diet encourages the excretion of calcium.

Dr Susan Jebb, of the British Medical Research Council, said it would be "negligent" to recommend the diet for long-term use and called for urgent research into its safety.

She dismissed the theory behind the diet, that it changes the body's chemistry to burn off fat, as "pseudo-science".

"It is nutritionally incomplete. It works in the short term, but so does any diet that reduces the amount of calories eaten," she said.

"The diet is a massive health risk, it's medically unsound. We have no idea what will happen in the long term because no one is evaluating the results of the experiment."

Australian nutrition expert Catherine Saxelby was equally concerned.

"People with compromised kidneys should not go on the Atkins Diet because of the huge workload they have to do to get rid of the excess nitrogen from the protein," she said.

"It's unwise for anyone with high cholesterol or type-2 diabetes, who are also at risk of heart disease because of the high intake of saturated fat.

"We have new research from CSIRO that a higher intake of protein is helpful for dieters, but you don't have to go to the level of Atkins.

"Similarly, you don't have to cut out all carbohydrates to lose weight."

Ms Saxelby said it would be helpful for dieters to cut out carbohydrates such as potatoes and white rice, which have a high glycaemic index and are rapidly absorbed by the body.

Dr Jebb, head of nutrition and health research at the British government-funded MRC's Human Nutrition Research Centre in Cambridge, was speaking at a summit in London to warn of the dangers crash dieting posed to a nation's health.

Dr Jebb said the Atkins Diet was the least healthy of a number of trendy diets followed by people desperate to lose kilos in a hurry.

"Fad diets prey on the overweight, offering quick fixes and psychological tricks. I see no medical benefit and in particular the Atkins Diet," she said.

The warning is the latest on "gimmicky" diets endorsed by celebrities.

Invented 30 years ago by American Dr Robert Atkins, the diet tells followers to eat large amounts of meat, but severely restrict carbohydrates. The theory is that carbohydrates increase the body's production of insulin, which encourages cells to store fat.

The Daily Telegraph

2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

The Atkins diet is only hard on the kidneys if you already have a pre-exisiting kidney problem and that's right in the book. Apparently those people didn't read it.... (figures) I trust the New England Journal of Medicine and they came out with a report that said it's a healthy diet.

Marilyn :)
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What they are describing is the induction period which is only for two weeks. It is not for anyone who has kidney problems. After the two week period, healthy carbs are reintroduced into the diet.

The fat on the Atkins diet does not contribute to problems with cholesterol or with Type II Diabetes. On the contrary, it is carbs which raise cholesterol and spike insulin causing insulin resistance, obesity, and Type II Diabetes.

I totally disagree with this article.

Love, Mikie
  4. JBarbee

JBarbee New Member

I am new to this site and was reading the messages posted and this really caught my eye as I can really relate to the Atkins Diet as I have been on the Atkins diet sense the last of May. I weighted 206.5 and am now at 190 and still loseing 1 to 2 lbs a week, & sometimes more
    I am a diabetic and have had trouble keeping my blood sugar level, it would go from 200 & up then drop suddenly to the 50's & 60's "Even when I was on medication". With Atkins I am no longer on medication and my blood sugar stays within a good range of about 118. The Carbs and sugar are Bad for a diabetic so This diet has been a blessing for me.You can have dairy foods, fruit, Vegies, salads, low carb bread, pancakes etc on Atkins plus you can still eat low fat Meat You don't HAVE TO have every thing High FAT. I guess you can tell I am sold on the "Atkins Low Carb Diet"
    As the old saying goes, Don't knock it till you try it.
    Just had to put in a good word for Atkins and what it is doing for me.
  5. colinjn

colinjn New Member

Hi,
    I have to put in my two cents regarding low carb eating.
    I've tried just about every way of eating while trying to tame my CFS and have found that low carb eating is best. The Atkin's plan is also the best for me because it allows me to keep my weight down without strenuous exercise, and it promotes a feeling of satiety.

The critics of the plan focus on the induction period which limits carbs to under 20 grams. However we soon end up eating more nutrient dense vegetables and berries than most people out there. This is something that the critics invariably fail to notice. In his first book, Dr. Atkins wrote about a conspiracy from the sugar industry. He later moderated his views in the other books, but I think he was right. There have been overt threats to the World Health Organization regarding funding, and this rash of articles seems strangely coordinated. How is it that newspapers all over the western world have all published similar articles at the same time? I'm not sure that summer doldrums can account for all of it.

WEll that's my two cents. I didn't mean to be so controvercial in my first post!

Colin
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Congratulations on your weight losses and blood sugar improvements! My mother lived on carbs and was a brittle diabetic, with severe osteoporosis. I always felt if she had eaten more protien, and less carbs, that she would not have been as physically frail and ill as she was right on up to her death from sliding out of her wheelchair and breaking her back.

Here's a toast to you all for making the right decisions and improving your health and no doubt, your longevity!

Marilyn :)
  7. pattipatsdd

pattipatsdd New Member

I've had FMS since childhood (I am 61, now) & have struggled with sugar & carb cravings my whole life. I now do Suzanne Somers (who is a dietetic grandchild of Atkins)--after 2 knee surgeries in 3 yrs., my weight zoomed to 217! Since doing lo-carb last Jan. I've lost 30 lbs. & my cravings.--fruit is the greatest sugar! AND you eat whole grains; lots of vegies too...since my body doesn't like to be overloaded w fats,I do them in moderation.
    BECAUSE I DON'T GET HUNGRY, I DO EAT LESS, AND I LOSE WEIGHT EVEN WHEN PHYSICALLY RESTRICTED...PLEASE READ AND REPORT ACCURATELY!..p.s. my cholesterol is also down---HELLO REPORTERS & PHYSICIANS;don't look @ this report as "anecdotal"--it is supported by my Dr.'s records...
    PATTIP[This Message was Edited on 08/14/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2003]
  8. JBarbee

JBarbee New Member

Thanks Marilyn, for the Congratulation, I lost another 1/2 Lb this week. I forgot to mention in my other post that I also belong to TOPS (it is kinda like Weight Watchers) for those that don't know what TOPS is -- it is a nation wide weight loss support group called "Take Off Pounds Sensible". The weight is coming off slow, but I haven't been doing any excercises, I have been doing a lot of reading up on Fibromyalgia and most reports say excercise helps and plays a big part in keeping the joints and muscles active. Of course I am not talking about extreme excercise just muscle stretching, gentle stengthening and aerobic conditioning. So that is my goal this week to start some gentle strengthening excercise and gradually build up to what I can tolerate. J Barbee
  9. babyjoan

babyjoan New Member

This diet does not ok you to eat large amounts of fat and meat!!! I have not increased my meat intake, I cut out starches and sugar. This man (Dr. Atkins) and his wife have done this diet for thirty years. His last heart cath. that was done revealed that his arteries were pristine. I have lost 70 lbs. since January 2, 2003. My Dr.s are thrilled. This diet does not say not to eat 0 carbs. this is impossible as everything healthy (veggies, fruits,) have carbs. This diet is very healthy if you have no previous kidney problems. It basically makes you think before you put something in your mouth. Sorry if I sound irate but this is the only good thing that has happened to me this year. I am not a "fad dieter" just someone who seriously needed to lose weight! I have been defending this diet since January. If it is something you want to try, do so, if not that's fine. I just don't want to see anyone not try this wonderful diet for fear of all the negative press it has recieved. My husband and I both feel wonderful about our weight loss and are looking great!!! I highly recommend it.
    Joan

[ advertisement ]