Article on FM Awareness Day got in my local newspaper!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, May 12, 2003.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

Just wanted to say that my article on FM Awareness Day got into my local newspaper on Friday! I had just gotten home and was finishing up uploading groceries, when I got a phone call from a lady who belongs to a local Kiwanis Group. It was through her that I knew it was in there. They did change my wording some (darn!) and shortened it a little, but the important stuff was still there.

Anyway, this lady invited me to speak at their Kiwanis meeting tomorrow night on fibromyalgia. I told her I wasn't a professional speaker, but she said that didn't matter. She said they are a layed-back group (35 people at the most) and I was also invited to the dinner before the meeting. I told her I would do it, but said if I am having a really bad time I might have to cancel last minute. If I do make it, I told her that they will see me at my worst mentally and physically. But maybe that's okay. They can see what this disease does to people. I told her that after working all day, it's really hard for me to do things in the evenings. She said she understood. She has a friend who has FM so that's why she was interested. The Kiwanis Club does a lot of fundraising for different causes so maybe they would be interested in doing something for FM. If nothing else, it would at least increase awareness and understanding.

So yesterday I jotted down some notes to help me in my speaking. In March I spoke at my FM support group so this isn't my first time doing this. I also ran off some copies of what FM is, the symptoms, tender points diagram, etc. to pass out. I have always been such a quiet, shy person that I can't believe I am doing these things now. One nice thing about having FM is that it is teaching me to be more outgoing!

Ellen Comstock
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good for you! Each time one of us does something to further our cause, we do something wonderful for all of us.

Love, Mikie
  3. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

I am so proud of you! I use to be very shy and would never think of speaking to a group either, until I had a son w/
    autism and suddenly became very active in the world of advocacy for folks with dev. disabilities. I think the passion in us to make others understand more than makes up for experience in public speaking. You certainly have my "moral support" while you are speaking to the Kiwani
    group. Please let us know how it goes, ok? BTW will there be a support group mtg this month? The last Monday is Memorial Day, so I wondered if they would have it a different day or just cancel. love Rebel
  4. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Well done and fingers crossed it goes well for you.

Hope you can a good nights sleep.

Love Pat.
  5. jackiec

jackiec New Member

COngratulations!! You are such an inspiration and give me hope that the word will get out there and give a better understanding to FM. Good luck with the Kiwanis talk....I'm sure you'll do just fine. WAY TO GO!!

6. 2girls

2girls New Member

Word seems to be travelling like wildfire. We had a decent FM article in our local paper about 2 months ago and this week, I read an excellent article on CFIDS in our community newspaper. So refreshing to see and hear about this.

2girls
  7. Frogdogger

Frogdogger New Member

I was so pleased to read your post! I am NOT shy and retiring, but like for most people speaking in front of a group is a whole different animal. A hint someone gave me: Start out by saying you're not used to speaking in front of a group and you're nervous. Somehow the nervousness diminishes; don't know how. If you speak from the heart you'll be alright. wanted to get something together for awareness day. Unfortunately, I work at a university and the last couple of weeks have been crazy and I also had a bad flare from a physical therapist working me too hard. (two and 1/2 days in bed). Bravo for you!
  8. COOKIEMONSTER

COOKIEMONSTER New Member

I don't think you'll have any problems....good writers are excellent speakers and you should have noooooo problems with your presentation.

GO GET THEM GIRL and thanks for doing your part on Fibro Awareness. It really does help our cause.

Good luck to you and let us know how it went.

MMMMMUUUUUAAAAYYYYYY!
    Cookiemonster

9. Frogdogger

Frogdogger New Member

I was so pleased to read your post! I am NOT shy and retiring, but like for most people speaking in front of a group is a whole different animal. A hint someone gave me: Start out by saying you're not used to speaking in front of a group and you're nervous. Somehow the nervousness diminishes; don't know how. If you speak from the heart you'll be alright. wanted to get something together for awareness day. Unfortunately, I work at a university and the last couple of weeks (before graduation)have been crazy and I also had a bad flare from a physical therapist working me too hard. (two and 1/2 days in bed). Bravo for you!