Article On Grapeseed Extract

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Mikie, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, I thought you might especially find this info interesting.

Love, Mikie

“Grape seed extract kills head & neck cancer cells, leaves healthy cells unharmed” – NIH/National Cancer Institute
    ProHealth.com
    February 1, 2012

“Cancer cells have a lot of defective pathways and they are very vulnerable if you target those pathways. The same is not true of healthy cells.”

Nearly 12,000 people will die of head and neck cancer in the United States this year and worldwide cases will exceed half a million.

A study published Jan 19 in the journal Carcinogenesis shows that in both cell lines and mouse models, grape seed extract (GSE) kills head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells [aka, non-melanoma skin cancer], while leaving healthy cells unharmed.

“It’s a rather dramatic effect,” says Rajesh Agarwal, PhD, investigator at the University of Colorado Cancer Center and professor at the Skaggs School of Pharmaceutical Sciences [UC San Diego].

It depends in large part, says Dr. Agarwal, on a healthy cell’s ability to wait out damage.

“Cancer cells are fast-growing cells,” Agarwal says. “Not only that, but they are necessarily fast growing. When conditions exist in which they can’t grow, they die.”

Grape seed extract creates these conditions that are unfavorable to growth. Specifically, the paper shows that grape seed extract both:

• Damages cancer cells’ DNA (via increased reactive oxygen species)

• And stops the pathways that allow repair (as seen by decreased levels of the DNA repair molecules Brca1 and Rad51 and DNA repair foci).

“Yet we saw absolutely no toxicity to the mice, themselves,” Agarwal says.

Again, the grape seed extract killed the cancer cells but not the healthy cells. “I think the whole point is that cancer cells have a lot of defective pathways and they are very vulnerable if you target those pathways. The same is not true of healthy cells,” Agarwal says.

The Agarwal Lab hopes to move in the direction of clinical trials of grape seed extract, potentially as an addition to second-line therapies that target head and neck squamous cell carcinoma that has failed a first treatment.

This work was supported by the R01 grants AT003623 from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine and CA91883 from the National Cancer Institute, NIH.

Source: NIH/National Center for Complementary & Alternative Medicine, NIH/National Cancer Institute news release, Jan 26, 2012.

2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I think I saw it before or one similar at the PH library, I've seen so many. Again, for the cancer reasons, main reason why I got on this antioxidant...

Thanks for posting, if people can be saved from this dread why not go for it...that's how I decided for me.

Prevention!!!!!
  3. freida

freida Active Member

I hadn't seen it.

Thanks, Mikie.

Leah
    [This Message was Edited on 02/01/2012]
  4. jaminhealth

reminder, on this info.
  5. deepak

deepak Member

Dear jam,

Which brand grapeseed extract do you take ?

Love,
    deepak
  6. freida

freida Active Member

Hello Deepak! :)

I hope Jam will answer your question, for you and for me, ;)
    I'm not a good substitute for her! :)

but in the meantime, what I've learned from researching it,
    is that the native American grape species, grown in southeast USA,
    (such as North Carolina)
    is safer AND more powerful and effective than the grapes from Japan, that many brands are made from.

The better type of grape source (American) is the Muscadine grape, also called "Vitis Vinifera".
    The label or ingredient list should list that type of grape as the source, or it would not be the best one, from what I understand and think.

I am NOT saying it is better because I am from the USA! :)
    It is the research that looks that way. Different grapes are different plant species.

In the stores, and online, there are many that are not that kind.
    And some that are.

I now found 2 brands, in a store here, that do say that kind.
    The other store had none that did.

So I think that the brand does not matter as much as that type of grape,

but I sure would like to know what Jam will say!
    since she has known more about it than me, for a longer time.!

I took the other kind for years now.
    Probably better than none, I don't know.
    But I want the best kind now.

If they did not have the Muscadine (Vitis vinifera) kind ,
    in a store near me, I would order it by mail.

I know that might be too costly expensive for you,
    and maybe Jam knows if it is important.

ox
    Leah

[This Message was Edited on 02/09/2012]
  7. freida

freida Active Member

Some of the grapeseed extract capsules have other active ingredients,in addition with it,

such as some have vitamin c in it.

I prefer to get the grapeseed extract without anything but it and the capsule container ingredients.

I prefer to get any vitamins seperate, since they usually add in ascorbic acid form of vitamin c, which I find is stinging hurting to my stomach and bladder.

So I get other forms of vitamin c seperate,

and I look to see that the grapeseed extract does not have any other vitamin in with it.

But if someone else wants the type of vitamin c with it, that is fine for you or them,
    not for me or others with sensitive stomach or bladder.

Many supplements and vitamins come that way, in combination with others.
    It isn't always the best buy or the best form of all the ingrediensts.

For me, I like to get them seperate, and the form of each that I know is best for me.

It may be cheaper to get a combination in one cap or tab,
    but sometimes it is a very cheap form of each. Not always the best quality.

My opinion on all supplements and vitamins, and on grapeseed extract too.

Leah Freida
  8. jaminhealth

Can you buy Grape Seed in India? I've used quite a few different brands in all the years I've been taking it.

I think the extract is a stronger product. Muscadine is a good grape high in resveratrol, but it's not extract. It's Grape Seed. I use in but I have used extract mostly for years.

I wouldn't buy the cheapest nor most expensive, something in the middle. Do you buy supps in your country? PH, I'm sure sells a high quality G.S.E. but someone said they were out of stock, don't know that one.

I would probably get the 100mg cap or tablet and learn to "play" with dosing for your specific issues. I'm guessing you are pretty slender....

Rule of thumb for dosing is 1mg per lb of bodyweight. So if you weigh 100lb, then 100mg is the dose for general over prevention. For specific chronic conditions, many double that dose, this is called a loading dose and do the loading for a while and then go to a maintenance dose.

Hope this helps, any other questions, ask. jam

PS: A good friend who is 91 this year and she's sharp and has been taking G.S. for over 2 yrs and when she had a complete physical recently, she passed with flying colors....she said "it's the G.S". She doesn't deal with any chronic health conditions, just aging and some arthritis and some digestive issues...but all in all darn healthy.
  9. freida

freida Active Member

Thank you Jam, for your excellent info and input!!

PH has stopped being able to get the kind they had, that I bought from them for many years now.

They told us that they can no longer get that one.

Right now, the g.s.e. one they are selling has ascorbic acid vit c in it, too.

If someone wants the g.s.e. with that form of vit c, and can tolerate it, I'm sure it's an excellent product.!

For myself, the ascorbic acid vit c, hurts my stomach and my bladder and my esophagus and valve, so I can't take that kind.

So I had to look elsewhere.

The brand I got this week, is Jarrow, and is extract, from Vitis vinifera,
    so I'm glad to have any right now,
    but I am considering other brAnds for ongoing,
    and that's good advice you gave.

PH also said that they will be trying to get another g.s.e., in the future,
    but what they have right now, looks very good to me,
    but like I say, my body can't take it without pain. I take other forms of vit c, and it's better for me to have them seperate, the kind I want of each item.

Now, to get my huz to actual TAKE it (the g.s.e.). ;)))
    He agrees but action is another thing. :)

Thanks to Jam, and to all.

Leah Freida
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2012]
  10. jaminhealth

can benefit from G..S. I take ascorbyl palmitate for my Vit C...usually take 1000 to 1500mg per day, 500mg per cap. I do take a good iron supp most days and need to take Vit C with the iron for best absorption. Many are low in ferritin levels...
  11. deepak

deepak Member

Dear Jam,

I dont think I will get this here in India but I have been ordering my supplements from USA from online sites. I want to order from PH. I feel so grateful they have provided us this forum where I have learnt so much from you all, but their shipping to India is very expensive - I have written to them about it.

I used to be in shape but in the past one year since all this body woes have started I have put on 17 kilos :(. My diet is lesser than earlier but the weight has just come on and refuses to go. I feel really bad when people comment on it now as they do not realise what I am going through within. They just think I am being lazy or eating too much!

Which particular brand are you using ?

I am planning to add serrapeptase too. Have read lovely things about it for heart health.

With love,
    Deepak
  12. jaminhealth

and whoever you buy from should have a good brand and as I mentioned I like the extract best. I don't know if I'm permitted to mention brands here, I get confused with the rules recently. Don't buy cheapest, something in the middle price....Every online company sells G.S. jam

Deepak, don't listen to other people talk about you, it's no one elses business...please work on that...it's so destructive, you don't have to answer to anyone...jam[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2012]
  13. deepak

deepak Member

I think you can post in the chit chat board

love,
    deepak
  14. jaminhealth

who do you buy from online? Maybe we buy from the same people....chit chat is no different, rules have changed and I tread lightly with my comments.
  15. deepak

deepak Member

Haha I am not sure if I can tell the site name here. But it seems a very popular site - I would surely buy from prohealth if I get the same shipping rates but pro shipping to india is much more costly - I wrote a letter to customer service.

:)

Love,
    Deepak
  16. jaminhealth

so, just buy a mid priced quality Grape Seed Extract and as I said I'd get 100mg caps or tabs and learn how to dose with them. get a good supply so you have them and even have some of your family members on G.S. Your decision, of course....if you pay high shipping it's good to have a good supply on hand.

There are a few popular sites that ship worldwide...these companies are high volume sales...

I tried serrapaptase some back but I saw no results...but everyone is different...try it.
  17. freida

freida Active Member

I remember Mikie recently said that we can tell brands,
    but not url's for websites.
    We are allowed to tell brands, even that 'compete' with PH, she wrote.
    But not sites, is what I understand.

And yes, we are all different, I can't take iron or I will get extreme constipation.

I do take ascorbyl palmitate for vit c, sometimes, when I buy that kind.

And Deepak, I'm sorry you are not in the shape that you wish you were ,
    because you are having a medical problem. It is not your fault, but that is already making you sad.
    I'm sorry that some people say rude things and hurtful things, that make you feel worse about it.
    Even, especially, to a very nice , kind person like you.

Some people,
    like us, :)
    DO understand that we are sometimes sick and cannot control everything that our body does.

ox
    Leah
  18. jaminhealth

but I buy from two companies who sell their brand with their name, so my thinking is I can't mention that brand as it mentions their company.....

I like Now Foods brand and it's sold by many companies...Source Naturals is a good brand and a bit pricier....and sold by many companies...I've bought it on occasion but not often...I'm on a budget and need to save everywhere....
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can mention the names of the products you like, even if they have their own website as long as you don't mention the website itself. If people want to look things up on their own, it's OK. Hope this helps to clear things up. Thank you for being so thoughtful.

Love, Mikie
  20. jaminhealth

talking the values of Grape Seed Ex but I thought I'd bump up ProHealth's article again...

I just KNOW, this supp has kept me from MAYBE an even worse FM issue....

I was in a conversation with a bridge friend yesterday and she was telling us about a friend of her's who is challenged with cancer and this friend's daughter who is 36 just died of some cancer....

I was very saddened to hear this horrible news and I don't know these people but so very sad....

I just know these people are not taking Grape Seed Ex...

This is the MAIn reason I started on this antioxidant almost 17 yrs ago, we were told it may prevent Cancer.

Anyway, folks COULD BE the best prevention.....[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2012]