Article On Grapeseed Extract

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Mikie, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, I thought you might especially find this info interesting.

Love, Mikie

“Grape seed extract kills head & neck cancer cells, leaves healthy cells unharmed” – NIH/National Cancer Institute
    ProHealth.com
    February 1, 2012

“Cancer cells have a lot of defective pathways and they are very vulnerable if you target those pathways. The same is not true of healthy cells.”

Nearly 12,000 people will die of head and neck cancer in the United States this year and worldwide cases will exceed half a million.

A study published Jan 19 in the journal Carcinogenesis shows that in both cell lines and mouse models, grape seed extract (GSE) kills head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells [aka, non-melanoma skin cancer], while leaving healthy cells unharmed.

“It’s a rather dramatic effect,” says Rajesh Agarwal, PhD, investigator at the University of Colorado Cancer Center and professor at the Skaggs School of Pharmaceutical Sciences [UC San Diego].

It depends in large part, says Dr. Agarwal, on a healthy cell’s ability to wait out damage.

“Cancer cells are fast-growing cells,” Agarwal says. “Not only that, but they are necessarily fast growing. When conditions exist in which they can’t grow, they die.”

Grape seed extract creates these conditions that are unfavorable to growth. Specifically, the paper shows that grape seed extract both:

• Damages cancer cells’ DNA (via increased reactive oxygen species)

• And stops the pathways that allow repair (as seen by decreased levels of the DNA repair molecules Brca1 and Rad51 and DNA repair foci).

“Yet we saw absolutely no toxicity to the mice, themselves,” Agarwal says.

Again, the grape seed extract killed the cancer cells but not the healthy cells. “I think the whole point is that cancer cells have a lot of defective pathways and they are very vulnerable if you target those pathways. The same is not true of healthy cells,” Agarwal says.

The Agarwal Lab hopes to move in the direction of clinical trials of grape seed extract, potentially as an addition to second-line therapies that target head and neck squamous cell carcinoma that has failed a first treatment.

This work was supported by the R01 grants AT003623 from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine and CA91883 from the National Cancer Institute, NIH.

Source: NIH/National Center for Complementary & Alternative Medicine, NIH/National Cancer Institute news release, Jan 26, 2012.

2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I think I saw it before or one similar at the PH library, I've seen so many. Again, for the cancer reasons, main reason why I got on this antioxidant...

Thanks for posting, if people can be saved from this dread why not go for it...that's how I decided for me.

Prevention!!!!!
  3. jaminhealth

reminder, on this info.
  4. deepak

deepak Member

Dear jam,

Which brand grapeseed extract do you take ?

Love,
    deepak
  5. jaminhealth

Can you buy Grape Seed in India? I've used quite a few different brands in all the years I've been taking it.

I think the extract is a stronger product. Muscadine is a good grape high in resveratrol, but it's not extract. It's Grape Seed. I use in but I have used extract mostly for years.

I wouldn't buy the cheapest nor most expensive, something in the middle. Do you buy supps in your country? PH, I'm sure sells a high quality G.S.E. but someone said they were out of stock, don't know that one.

I would probably get the 100mg cap or tablet and learn to "play" with dosing for your specific issues. I'm guessing you are pretty slender....

Rule of thumb for dosing is 1mg per lb of bodyweight. So if you weigh 100lb, then 100mg is the dose for general over prevention. For specific chronic conditions, many double that dose, this is called a loading dose and do the loading for a while and then go to a maintenance dose.

Hope this helps, any other questions, ask. jam

PS: A good friend who is 91 this year and she's sharp and has been taking G.S. for over 2 yrs and when she had a complete physical recently, she passed with flying colors....she said "it's the G.S". She doesn't deal with any chronic health conditions, just aging and some arthritis and some digestive issues...but all in all darn healthy.
  6. jaminhealth

can benefit from G..S. I take ascorbyl palmitate for my Vit C...usually take 1000 to 1500mg per day, 500mg per cap. I do take a good iron supp most days and need to take Vit C with the iron for best absorption. Many are low in ferritin levels...
  7. deepak

deepak Member

Dear Jam,

I dont think I will get this here in India but I have been ordering my supplements from USA from online sites. I want to order from PH. I feel so grateful they have provided us this forum where I have learnt so much from you all, but their shipping to India is very expensive - I have written to them about it.

I used to be in shape but in the past one year since all this body woes have started I have put on 17 kilos :(. My diet is lesser than earlier but the weight has just come on and refuses to go. I feel really bad when people comment on it now as they do not realise what I am going through within. They just think I am being lazy or eating too much!

Which particular brand are you using ?

I am planning to add serrapeptase too. Have read lovely things about it for heart health.

With love,
    Deepak
  8. jaminhealth

and whoever you buy from should have a good brand and as I mentioned I like the extract best. I don't know if I'm permitted to mention brands here, I get confused with the rules recently. Don't buy cheapest, something in the middle price....Every online company sells G.S. jam

Deepak, don't listen to other people talk about you, it's no one elses business...please work on that...it's so destructive, you don't have to answer to anyone...jam[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2012]
  9. deepak

deepak Member

I think you can post in the chit chat board

love,
    deepak
  10. jaminhealth

who do you buy from online? Maybe we buy from the same people....chit chat is no different, rules have changed and I tread lightly with my comments.
  11. deepak

deepak Member

Haha I am not sure if I can tell the site name here. But it seems a very popular site - I would surely buy from prohealth if I get the same shipping rates but pro shipping to india is much more costly - I wrote a letter to customer service.

:)

Love,
    Deepak
  12. jaminhealth

so, just buy a mid priced quality Grape Seed Extract and as I said I'd get 100mg caps or tabs and learn how to dose with them. get a good supply so you have them and even have some of your family members on G.S. Your decision, of course....if you pay high shipping it's good to have a good supply on hand.

There are a few popular sites that ship worldwide...these companies are high volume sales...

I tried serrapaptase some back but I saw no results...but everyone is different...try it.
  13. jaminhealth

but I buy from two companies who sell their brand with their name, so my thinking is I can't mention that brand as it mentions their company.....

I like Now Foods brand and it's sold by many companies...Source Naturals is a good brand and a bit pricier....and sold by many companies...I've bought it on occasion but not often...I'm on a budget and need to save everywhere....
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can mention the names of the products you like, even if they have their own website as long as you don't mention the website itself. If people want to look things up on their own, it's OK. Hope this helps to clear things up. Thank you for being so thoughtful.

Love, Mikie
  15. jaminhealth

talking the values of Grape Seed Ex but I thought I'd bump up ProHealth's article again...

I just KNOW, this supp has kept me from MAYBE an even worse FM issue....

I was in a conversation with a bridge friend yesterday and she was telling us about a friend of her's who is challenged with cancer and this friend's daughter who is 36 just died of some cancer....

I was very saddened to hear this horrible news and I don't know these people but so very sad....

I just know these people are not taking Grape Seed Ex...

This is the MAIn reason I started on this antioxidant almost 17 yrs ago, we were told it may prevent Cancer.

Anyway, folks COULD BE the best prevention.....[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2012]
  16. jaminhealth

there are MANY sites about various cancers and grape seed extract and pycnogenol.

17 yrs ago we were told Pycnogenol MAY prevent cancer and that was the MAIN reason I started on this antioxidant....now take Grape Seed Ex for some 16 yrs....

I've read that quite a few research hospitals are using Grape Seed Ex in their cancer research....Mayo, City of Hope and others.

So, I'm hoping that this antioxidant will keep me cancer free.

It's done SO MUCH so far, no allergies/sinus issues, no headaches, better eyesight, healthy gums, more energy....vitality and the lists goes on and on.
  17. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

Grapeseed extract for myself and my husband.

Jamin...do you think the grapeseed extract replaces extra doses of Vitamin C since they are both antioxidants?
  18. jaminhealth

daily, just because....it doesn't replace it....G.S.E. is a totally different ball of wax...for one thing I do take Iron caps usually every other day, to keep my ferritin levels, up and Vit C needs to be taken with iron for best absorption of the iron and not to constipate one. I don't take more than about 1000mg of Vit C per day. Some days more.
  19. jaminhealth

and how relatively NEW it is in our country. I started taking it in 1996, Pycnogenol 1995...so we're talking 16-17 yrs...in the whole scheme....pretty NEW.

Do we really know the best dosage for who and what issues? I'm now upping to 500mg Muscadine Grape Seed 2 times per day and 200mg Extract 1 time per day and SEE if my OA issues can possibly improve..
  20. jaminhealth

too from ProHealth library.