Article On Grapeseed Extract

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Mikie, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, I thought you might especially find this info interesting.

Love, Mikie

“Grape seed extract kills head & neck cancer cells, leaves healthy cells unharmed” – NIH/National Cancer Institute
    ProHealth.com
    February 1, 2012

“Cancer cells have a lot of defective pathways and they are very vulnerable if you target those pathways. The same is not true of healthy cells.”

Nearly 12,000 people will die of head and neck cancer in the United States this year and worldwide cases will exceed half a million.

A study published Jan 19 in the journal Carcinogenesis shows that in both cell lines and mouse models, grape seed extract (GSE) kills head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells [aka, non-melanoma skin cancer], while leaving healthy cells unharmed.

“It’s a rather dramatic effect,” says Rajesh Agarwal, PhD, investigator at the University of Colorado Cancer Center and professor at the Skaggs School of Pharmaceutical Sciences [UC San Diego].

It depends in large part, says Dr. Agarwal, on a healthy cell’s ability to wait out damage.

“Cancer cells are fast-growing cells,” Agarwal says. “Not only that, but they are necessarily fast growing. When conditions exist in which they can’t grow, they die.”

Grape seed extract creates these conditions that are unfavorable to growth. Specifically, the paper shows that grape seed extract both:

• Damages cancer cells’ DNA (via increased reactive oxygen species)

• And stops the pathways that allow repair (as seen by decreased levels of the DNA repair molecules Brca1 and Rad51 and DNA repair foci).

“Yet we saw absolutely no toxicity to the mice, themselves,” Agarwal says.

Again, the grape seed extract killed the cancer cells but not the healthy cells. “I think the whole point is that cancer cells have a lot of defective pathways and they are very vulnerable if you target those pathways. The same is not true of healthy cells,” Agarwal says.

The Agarwal Lab hopes to move in the direction of clinical trials of grape seed extract, potentially as an addition to second-line therapies that target head and neck squamous cell carcinoma that has failed a first treatment.

This work was supported by the R01 grants AT003623 from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine and CA91883 from the National Cancer Institute, NIH.

Source: NIH/National Center for Complementary & Alternative Medicine, NIH/National Cancer Institute news release, Jan 26, 2012.

2. deepak

deepak Member

Dear jam,

Which brand grapeseed extract do you take ?

Love,
    deepak
  3. deepak

deepak Member

Dear Jam,

I dont think I will get this here in India but I have been ordering my supplements from USA from online sites. I want to order from PH. I feel so grateful they have provided us this forum where I have learnt so much from you all, but their shipping to India is very expensive - I have written to them about it.

I used to be in shape but in the past one year since all this body woes have started I have put on 17 kilos :(. My diet is lesser than earlier but the weight has just come on and refuses to go. I feel really bad when people comment on it now as they do not realise what I am going through within. They just think I am being lazy or eating too much!

Which particular brand are you using ?

I am planning to add serrapeptase too. Have read lovely things about it for heart health.

With love,
    Deepak
  4. deepak

deepak Member

I think you can post in the chit chat board

love,
    deepak
  5. deepak

deepak Member

Haha I am not sure if I can tell the site name here. But it seems a very popular site - I would surely buy from prohealth if I get the same shipping rates but pro shipping to india is much more costly - I wrote a letter to customer service.

:)

Love,
    Deepak
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can mention the names of the products you like, even if they have their own website as long as you don't mention the website itself. If people want to look things up on their own, it's OK. Hope this helps to clear things up. Thank you for being so thoughtful.

Love, Mikie
  7. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

Grapeseed extract for myself and my husband.

Jamin...do you think the grapeseed extract replaces extra doses of Vitamin C since they are both antioxidants?
  8. greatgran2

greatgran2 Member

For all your info.. I use 21st Century , my local pharm sells it so easy to get.. Have you heard of this brand? I am going to increase my dose to 200 mg a day due to the lyme and my doc wants me to take all the antioxidants I can handle.
    Vit c upsets my esoph. so maybe the increase in grapeseed will help, sure can't hurt...

Hope you are feeling better...
  9. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

There are a number of supplements that thin the blood, Ginger extract, Green Tea extract, GSE etc.

The problem with cancer (Leukemia in particular) patients so often already have problems with low platelets. As a result all too often spontaneous bleeding occurs from nose or bowels, internal bleeding for example, and it is not easy to control when a persons blood is low in platelets.

It's bad practice and dangerous to simply prescribe or suggest a medication just because of a persons age. Similarly it's bad practice and dangerous to prescribe or suggest Ginger extract, Green Tea extract, GSE without an understand of a persons overall medical condition.