ARTICLE re mycoplasma & other intracellular infections...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Dec 8, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Altho CFIDS/FM/ME isn't mentioned in the title, it is mentioned later in the article.
    Too bad they apparently didn't test for viral infections like the HHVs (at least it wasn't mentioned in the abstract, didn't read the whole article tho). I'd think they're there as well.

Systemic Intracellular Bacterial Infections
    (Mycoplasma, Chlamydia, Borrelia species)
    in Neurodegenerative (Multiple Sclerosis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer's)
    and Behavioral (Autistic Spectrum Disorders) Diseases
    by Prof. Garth L. Nicolson

Patients with neurodegenerative diseases and behavioral disorders often have systemic bacterial, viral, and/or fungal infections that are important in disease progression and severity.

We and others have examined patients with various neurodegenerative and behavioral neurological conditions, such as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Alzheimer's disease (AD) and Autistic Spectrum Disorders ([ASD], including Autism, Attention Deficit Disorder, Asperger Syndrome), and found evidence for systemic intracellular bacterial and viral infections in a majority of patients.

For example, examination of blood for evidence of Mycoplasma species, Chlamydia pneumoniae, Brucella species, Borrelia burgdorferi, and other infections by serology, Western blot, or polymerase chain reaction revealed high incidences of systemic co-infections that were not found in control subjects (P<0.001).

The results were compared to other chronic illnesses where neurological manifestations are often found, such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephlomyopathy (CFS/ME), Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS), Lyme disease (LD), and Gulf War illnesses.

Most of these chronic illness patients also had multiple intracellular bacterial infections compared to control subjects (P<0.001), and the most common co-infection found was Mycoplasma species in all of the conditions examined.

In contrast, in the few control subjects that tested positive, only single infections were found.

The results suggest multiple chronic intracellular bacterial (and viral) infections are common features of neurodegenerative and behavioral disorders, and treatment regimens should address the multiple infections present in these conditions.

article at:

2. findmind

findmind New Member

Very good, and it is current also; have you checked out the site Dr. Nicolson has?

he is the leading authority on mycoplasmas. Also the most prolific and best Abstract writer in this country!

BUMP for more attention...

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, hope you are doing well. This is good info and should be kept bumped. A few years ago, when Sujay was on our board, there was more interest and knowledge of how these stealth, chronic infections can cause our illnesses to worsen. We have so many new members and I can't tell whether they are aware of all the infections people with our illnesses often suffer from. I do not believe we can heal until we address these infections, and often, the accompanying fibrin overgrowth in our blood.

As you probably know, I'm doing the Nattokinase to help dissolve the fibrin because Heparin is no longer available and the cost of Lovenox is out of reach for most of us. Papers I have read by the experts state that the Natto is just as effective. I am going a bit more slowly now that I can adjust the oral dose of the Natto. Still, I'm Herxing and purging, so I know it's doing its job. I'm also pulsing with Acyclovir and Doxycycline to help kill off any pathogens which lose their hiding places in the fibrin/platelet clumps. When they are exposed, there is a big dieoff and I detox. Basically, it's working just like when I took the Heparin injections but not quite as harshly.

Dr. Nicolson personally responded to my e-mails on several occasions. He is a very nice man.

Love, Mikie
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Glad you're doing better. It does seem like these are insidious infections one never really gets rid of, I think the best most of us can do when it's been a long illness is try to keep it under control. That's interesting about the Natto... keep us posted.

I am leaving today to go all the way back to Georgia to dispose of things and pack up what we'll move... just bought a small house. It's not where I wanted to be or what I wanted really, altho my DH is happy with it (but it doesn't take much to please him lol) - anyway the impetus is that it's hard to rent with 4 dogs no matter where one is! - and we got a 'scare' when we thought the house we're renting month to month was being sold.

I've been pretty exhausted one way or another, altho I think I acclimated to the elevation fairly well. Just had a hard time the first 3 months with infections and such. I'm looking forward to getting back and recuperating, and finishing the MP etc.

take care!

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope you can get some rest. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now.

I am really tired. This treatment takes it out of a person. I saw the doc this morning for my blood pressure, which has been elevated to moderately high now for a month. He prescribed a very low dose of Cardizem. I hope it helps. I've had headaches with the high BP.

I'm off to CO (talk about you high altitude) on Mon. I'll be back on Fri. It's been snowing there and is supposed to be cold. I have all my warm clothes to pack. It's fun to be in snow once in a while but it'll also remind me why I moved here.

Take care of yourself, my friend, and let us know how you are doing.

Love, Mikie
  6. victoria

victoria New Member