Article: Understanding Depression

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Sunshyne1027, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Thought I would share.

(One of the things someone said to me that helped me to seek depression medication/treatment was.. You need to take care of, acknowledge the depression before going onto the next step in recovery/facing and fighting this illness Fibromyalgia)

Depression is a medical illness that disrupts your life. It involves your whole body. Depression affects your thoughts, emotions, behavior, and the way you feel about yourself. Depression can also change the way you think and feel about other people, about situations at work or in a social setting, or even about things such as your garden, your house, or your clothing.

Everyone is different, and the symptoms you experience may vary from those experienced by others. Does one or more of the following symptoms sound familiar to you?

• Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day. Depressed mood and crying spells are symptoms of depression. However, many people who have depression, however, are not sad, although they may have difficulty describing the way they feel.

• Lack of interest or pleasure in your usual activities and a lack of motivation. Depression makes it difficult to care about things that used to be important. You may have to push yourself to get things done. Even little things can seem a burden. Many people who have depression say they are bored and sluggish, and even if they have no sleep problems, they are tired all the time. Reduced interest in sex is also common.

• Changes in appetite. Depression can increase or decrease appetite, so people who have depression may gain or lose weight.

• Sleep problems. Some people who have depression are unable to fall asleep; some awaken often during the night and may be unable to get back to sleep. And some have sleep that is restless and dream-filled. Other depressed people may sleep too much, or find they need frequent naps in addition to their usual night's sleep.

• Anxiety or restlessness. People who have depression are often restless and anxious to the point of agitation. The anxiety can cause impatience and anger, and make people less able to deal with even a low level of stress.

• Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and insecurity. People with depression often feel negatively about themselves, the world around them, and the future. They may feel guilty about things in the past. Many people with depression feel that they are worthless or that their depression is a punishment for something they have done or left undone. Depression can lead to feelings of insecurity and the need to be dependent on others. It can also lead to poor grooming and personal hygiene.

• Difficulty concentrating and thinking clearly. Depression makes it hard to think clearly, and decisions about even small things may be difficult to make. Often, people who have depression cannot concentrate easily - so work and daily routines become less efficient, and feelings of failure and disgust may appear.

• Fatigue or lack of energy.

• Thoughts of suicide. Many depressed people think about death. Thoughts and actions related to death may occur as part of a wish to end pain, suffering, and confusion.

If you have feelings of wanting to harm yourself or others, please call 911 or your doctor, or go to the Emergency Room of the nearest hospital immediately.

If you or someone you care about is experiencing five or more of these symptoms for longer than 2 weeks, if suicide is a serious concern, or if symptoms are severe enough to interfere with daily activities, visit your doctor (or encourage your friend to do so) for an evaluation. You or your loved one may be suffering from depression.

If you are depressed, the symptoms that are making you hurt may also be hurting your family, your performance at work, and your relationships. Remember, these are real symptoms of a real illness. Don't blame yourself for feeling awful. Instead, see your doctor, follow his or her treatment advice, and begin taking your life back.

2. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

The wild thing about it is that I realized I am suffering from depression too again. I am going to ask my doc for some meds for it. I took Celexa for a long time, and couldn't afford it any longer with lack of insurance. She may have some samples to offer also. Then I took Paxil for a time, didn't work at all. I am looking into something natural, like a supplement that may help too? Any ideas?

I think just facing it, admitting you are having depression, then taking the next step and seeking help..Is the way to go. Sometimes people don't realize it or have some issues with it all. A nudge from a freind, relative helps.

I wouldn't seek help for a long long time myself, thought only the "weak" suffered from depression. Then like I mentioned another time, I felt ashamed that my family has so many mental health issues. No longer feel that way.

I slipped back into some co-dependency problems too, and dealing and facing them, working through them. Becoming stronger and learning.