ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FibroJo, Oct 5, 2005.

1. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

Can anyone tell me, are all artificial sweeteners bad for you or basically just aspartame. I am a little baffled with this one since there are so many different ones, Splenda, nutrasweet, ....etc.
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Try a search at mercola.com Lots of info. As far as I know:

Nutrasweet IS aspartame.

Splenda is sugar with a chlorene molecule attatched, in such a way that the body is not supposed to be able to take it apart. But there is some evidence that Splenda does break down in the body to some extent, into substances that haven't been tested on humans. A study on rats showed shrunken thymus glands, low growth rate, etc. However, the FDA says Splenda is safe when you stay within the "reccomended ammount." Still...
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2005]
  3. lilione

lilione New Member

I use is stevia. It is a natural plant, and is recommened by much of the medical association, as having no adverse effects. Aspartame is a BIG no-no. If I get a taste for some ice cream and such I'll eat one with splenda, but not that often. Avoiding aspartame was one of the things that helped releive my fatigue. Lili
  4. june-bug

june-bug New Member

Its poison, I tell ya'. Just stay away from it. RUN from it and be afraid be very afraid. Use stevia. Its all natural (if man made it dont eat it)and even helps balance gut flora. People with fibro and lyme claim it activates their symptoms and it is a neuro and exitotoxin.
  5. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

Artificial Sweeteners Ruin Your Body's Ability to Count Calories

A study revealed that eating artificially sweetened foods and drinking sweetened beverages might hinder your body's ability to estimate calorie intake, thus boosting your inclination to overindulge.

First Study on Artificial Sweeteners
    · The first group of rats were given two liquids, both of which contained natural high-calorie sweeteners
    · The second group of rats were given two liquids, one that was sweetened with saccharin
    · Both groups were given a sweet, high-calorie chocolate-flavored snack after 10 days into the study

Findings From the Study
    · Rats that were given the artificially flavored liquids had a more difficult time differentiating their calorie intake and displayed the tendency to overeat
    · The rats given artificially sweetened drinks were found to consume three times more calories than rats that didn't receive any sweeteners in their drinks

Second Study on Artificial Sweeteners
    · For the duration of 30 days, two groups of rats were fed their regular food along with a high-calorie supplement.
    · One group was given a supplement similar the heavy consistency of chocolate pudding
    · The other group was given a supplement that had the consistency of chocolate milk

Findings From the Study
    · The rats that were given the chocolate milk-like supplement experienced a notable weight gain over the rats who received the pudding-like supplement
    · Researchers concluded that the rats who were given the milk-like supplement had a harder time estimating calories than the rats that were given the pudding-like supplement

Researchers compared the results of this study to the Pavlovian theory where dogs were conditioned to associate the ringing of a bell to food. Researchers also stated that the rats in the study showed a similar relationship between the taste or texture of a food and the number of calories it contained.
    Researchers came to the conclusion that an inability to distinguish calorie intake was brought on by artificial sweeteners.

On the other hand, the sweetener industry viewed the results of the study as inconclusive because of the fact that it was tested solely on animals. They also stated that sweeteners played an active part in weight loss and were a valuable tool for weight control.
    Another spokesperson for the sweetener industry added that it wasn't necessary to cut back on artificial sweeteners because the FDA previously approved them.

International Journal of Obesity July 2004;28(7) Pages 933-935

[This Message was Edited on 10/06/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2005]
  6. vbrown

vbrown New Member

My sister told me to look up aspertame and all the bad side effects, one being symptoms of fibromyalgia. I got off the stuff, she bought me some Stevia and sent it to me and have been using for about two months now. It's so hard to find diet foods now that don't contain aspertame. I take 120 mg of Cymbalta daily. Don't know if one or both is working, but I am able to get around, went back to work, have been walking, exercising and have lost 22 pounds in 7 weeks.
  7. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Do you get stevia at the grocery store or health food store?Is it very exspensive.And is it just better to use just plan sugar?
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

is banned in the UK and other European countries but they allow aspartame and splenda. Talk about a topsy turvy world.

We can buy xylitol.

Tansy
  9. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I wonder if there is a good reason for the ban....just curious
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

There is no logic and no real sceince behind some of the decisions in Europe regarding supps and herbs.

[ advertisement ]