As We Ebb And Flow Through Life ....... Changing Roles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JLH, Mar 18, 2007.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

As we bob and weave with the ebb and flow of life our roles change, but our true self remains constant. As spiritual beings having a human experience, we go through many aspects of humanity in one lifetime. Living in the material world of opposites, labels, and classifications, we often identify ourselves by the roles we play, forgetting that these aspects shift and change throughout our lives. But when we anchor ourselves in the truth of our being, that core of spirit within us, we can choose to embrace the new roles as they come, knowing that they give us fresh perspective on life and a greater understanding of the lives of others.

As children, we anticipated role changes eagerly in our rush to grow up. Though fairy tales led us to believe that "happily ever after" was a final destination, the truth is that life is a series of destinations, mere stops on a long journey filled with differing terrain. We may need to move through a feeling of resistance as we shift from spouse to parent, leader to subordinate, caregiver to receiver, or even local to newcomer. It can be helpful to bid a fond farewell to the role that we are leaving before we welcome the new. This is the purpose of ceremonies in cultures throughout the world and across time. We can choose from any in existence or create our own to help us celebrate our life shifts and embrace our new adventures.

Like actors on the stage of the world, our different roles are just costumes that we inhabit and then shed. Each role we play gives us another perspective through which to understand ourselves and the nature of the universe. When we take a moment to see that each change can be an adventure, a celebration, and a chance to play a new part, we may even be able to recapture the joyful anticipation of our youth as we transition from one role to the next.

Daily OM
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I am having a hard time transitioning to the latter part of my life...used to be so busy, needed, interested, etc.

Now, feel so useless.

This gives me something to think about. Thank you for posting it.

3. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I seem to be experiencing the best and the worst of life simultaneously. I cannot explain it. I do not role play at all. I have no roles to play. I am so fortunate to just have time. Time to think and reflect on all the questions that are important to myself. Questions such as how was the universe created, where is the energy of my soul headed? Is their another journey for me yet?

I am enjoying having some reduced pain. I, like all here have sufferred too long with agonizing pain. I got relief about 5-6 months ago. The qualithy of my life has increased and has really amazed me. I feel guilty at times for not having pain.

It's funny, I am still in pain, but it's bearable. That is all I needed. Just make it bearable. Tramadol and Topamax have been a blessing. I guess I feel guilty in that I had to have drugs to take some of my pain away. It's like a lot of the pain is there, but I don't care. I am not as sensitive to it.

I really enjoyed your thought provoking post, and I really relate totaly with FiveSue.

4. JLH

JLH New Member

I can totally relate with you. I had to take early retirement due to my many health problems. I had such a busy, stressful job and now I wake up to an empty house with nothing to do--well, I have plenty to do but I'm just not able to do it! All I have to worry about is trying to fix my husband something for dinner when he gets home. I get depressed at times and also feel useless. I have been retired since 1999.

I am so happy to hear that you are not having as much pain! That is great news! Having an increased quality of life is fantastic. I look forward to that day. Please don't ever guilty for not having pain at times. That is what we all are working towards! It's great to find a med, or anything, that will reduce your pain. I do have some days where my pain level is lower, but the overwhelming fatigue is always present.

These sunny, bright, spring days are helping my outlook on life quite a bit!!! I guess I have also been in some winter funk, too!

Good Blessings to you both,

5. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I just read your bio thoroughly. My my have you been a very busy lady :} You have accomplished more than so many for your young age.

I am a fellow south easterner also. I drove to Lexington Kentucky about 5 years ago to buy some very expensive fish for my aquarium. I had intended on raising them and having a little business involving selling the beauties. The guy I bought them from, I had found on the internet. I got his phone # and set up a meeting. He was a Big Blue college student living off campus.

He was raising fish in 2 bathtubs and all kinds of other containers! I bought $350 Worth of fish... I don't even have an aquarium now. At one time I had a 235, a 55 and a 45 gallon aquarium. It just got to be so much work that I could not deal with it.

I gave my grankiddo's pony away because I could no longer tend him. The kids never payed much attention to him. I think that I really bought the pony for me, lol. Will Rogers once said that "the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man". I believe that. I love to just stare at horses whenever we get out and drive.

Oh yeah, I meant to say how beautiful the Lexington area is. That Kentucky bluegrass was beautiful and everywhere. I have some in the shady part of my back yard.

I just wanted to say thank you for the kind words above. Yesterday was one of the very best days, emotionally and physically that I have had since I "came down" with these DDs. I have found 2 home remedies here that are really helping me. The oil pulling is simply amazing, and I am taking the COT for yeast. I have my wife doing the oil pulling and taking COT. She is also amazed. Both of us are skeptics by nature so it is not the placebo affect!

I feel very fortunate after reading your list of conditions/ailments. You have to be a very special person to withstand all that you are forced to cope with. It's funny how we find strength in things/situations and places that we never dreamed of.

Yesterday afternoon, my daughter and 2 grandgirls came over and we had a blast. I had actually got out and bought them some gifts. Well, I had to go to the pharmacy. Anyway they were just tickled :}

Gotta run to the post office. Heres to your good health, and thanks again for your kind words of encouragement. They mean more to me than you know :}