Asinine roadblocks in medicine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TXFMmom, Apr 4, 2006.

1. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I had a very unpleasant experience over the weekend.

My insurance company just goes ballistic if you ask for your refill two days early.

Last Friday, I took my last Klonpin.

The bottle said refills, 5 through later in the summer.

I called the next morning to get a refill.

NO CAN DO SAYS WALGREENS. Why? I have refills.

The prescription was written more than six months ago. I had forgotten when it was written, BUT THEY HAD WRITTEN ON THE BOTTLE, THE LAST BOTTLE THAT I HAD REFILLS.

Oh, mistake, they say, BUT NO KLONAPIN. I SAID GET THE PHARMACIST. He says, well you know we can't give out make dos on class drugs. I SAID READ YOUR STICKERS ON THE STUFF WHERE IT SAYS DO NOT STOP ABRUPTLY, DEATH CAN OCCUR.

OH,YEAH. STILL NO KLONAPIN.

I said, well, this is YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU AND YOUR COMPANY MADE ME THINK I HAD REFILLS.

TOO BAD. I asked that they go ahead and fax a renewal to my doctor's office for first thing Monday morning.

Sure.

My doctor is wonderful, but their office has gotten so complicated, and with all the insurance crap, etc. IT HAS BECOME ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO REACH THEM.

You call and leave a voice mail and they call back, but it can take two days, and they call back, and you're not there and they won't leave a message and they say CALL ME AND then you get right back into the cycle.

SAME THING WITH E-MAILS. I finally started sending faxes.

However, on Monday mornings, they can get 300 FAXES, NO KIDDING.

I called Walgreen's first thing on Monday morning and asked if they had contacted the doctor's for my request. THEY SAID, OH, NO NOT YET. WE WILL LATER.

I SAID - I AM IN FULL WITHDRAWAL YOU ASS - GET THE PHARMACIST.

Pharmacist - well, you told me Saturday you would contact them then - HE SAID NO DOCTORS ARE IN ON THE WEEKEND. I SAID THEY HAVE VOICE MAIL AND FAXES AND YOU KNEW THIS IS A DANGEROUS DRUG TO BE OFF, IT WAS YOUR FAULT THAT IT COULDN'T BE REFILLED AND 48 HOURS LATER YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SENT IN THE REQUEST?

He says, you don't have to be nasty - I SAID WELL, YOU ARE TRYING TO KILL ME YOU ASS.

I am an RN, Advanced Nurse Practitioner, and Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, or I was until this DD got me, and had I ever taken this cavalier attitude with a patient's life, I would have lost my license.

He said, well I'll call it in.

My doctor's office has this recording telling you that it can take 72 hours for a refill.

I tried to send an e-mail - their computer system was down.

I did send a voice mail. It could be two days, believe me.

I WAS IN FULL WITHDRAWAL AND ONE CANNOT GO TO THE ER AND SAY I AM IN KLONAPIN WITHDRAWAL AND GET IT, -THEY WILL THINK YOU ARE A DRUG SEEKER.

I tried to send a fax - repeatedly, couldn't get through. I didn't know if my fax was the problem or theirs.

Finally, I called their EMERGENCY, AS IN I AM DYING LINE.

They found a nurse, not my doctor's, and I told her the story, and she said I am sorry, sometimes the docs forget the six months and give the prescriptions, which are generated by computer no less, for twelve months.

She said she would get someone to call it in.

Well, I was having PALPITATIONS, TREMORS, SWEATS, TACHY ARRHYTHMIAS, NAUSEA, VOMITING, CRAMPING, ETC. THE WHOLE DAMN THING, WITH A HORRIBLE HEADACHE.

I TOLD HER THAT. SHE SAID WE'LL HURRY.

That was at 12:30.

At 2:00 I had to go to my therapist, who does not prescribe, and stopped at the pharmacy, NO HELP THERE. UHH, I DON'T THINK IT HAS COME IN, WELL, HAS IT OR NOT?

Well, we have 45 prescriptions to fill and NO WAY TO KNOW IF THEY ARE YOURS.

I ASKED IF NOT HAVING ANY OF THOSE PRESCRIPTIONS COULD RESULT IN DEATH, LIKE MINE COULD?

Well, you don't have to be mean - WELL, APPARENTLY, I DAMNED WELL HAVE TO, I AM FIGHTING FOR MY LIFE, AND AT LEAST MY WELL BEING AT THE MOMENT.

I finally told her, I HOPE, JUST HOPE, THAT SOMETIME, YOU NEED SOME MEDICAL HELP AND SOMEONE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DEPEND UPON SHOWS THE ATTITUDE, THE MALPRACTICE, AND JUST DON'T GIVE A DAMN THAT YOU GUYS HAVE.

I THEN TOLD HER THAT I, WITH MY KNOWLEDGE, COULD GET THEIR PHARMACIST'S LICENSE PULLED FOR THIS.

Suddenly, they might be able to find my prescription but it mght take an hour.

I left and went to the therapist.

Drove back, in very, very bad shape, and when I pulled up, I got well, WE HAVE EIGHT PRESCRIPTIONS WAITING AND I DONT' KNOW IF ONE IS YOURS THING.

I went home and puked and puked, AND THEN HAD LEFT ARM PAIN AND CHEST PAIN. TOOK TWO BABY ASPIRINS, LAID DOWN, AND WROTE A NOTE TELLING MY HUSBAND WHAT HAD HAPPENED, AND TO SUE IF I DIED.

I was ashen.

My husband stopped to get the refill at 5 and they told him it had JUST COME THROUGH, WHATEVER THE HELL THAT MEANS.

I had to take two of the things, an hour apart to stop having withdrawal.

I then called and asked, and professionally, for the manager of the store, not the pharmacist and told him what had happened.

I THEN WANTED TO KNOW WHAT THEIR POLICY WAS ABOUT WAITING FROM SATURDAY TO MONDAY TO EVEN SUBMIT THE REFILL REQUEST, INSTEAD OF HAVING IT WAITING ON MONDAY. He said, he thought that all requests were to be submitted, if possible via e-mail, voice mail or fax WHEN REQUESTED.

I then asked if there was anyway for them to tell me when they finally sent it, and when they received the call back from my doc's office.

QUITE FRANKLY, MY DOC'S OFFICE IS GOING TO BE IN DEEP DOO DOO, AS WELL, IF I CAN FIND OUT WHEN THEY SENT IT BACK. IF THEY WAITED FOUR HOURS, THEN THEY ARE GOING TO BE IN DEEP TROUBLE.

The guy at Walgreens tried to tell me that they don't have any time notation on when they send and when they receive the orders back on prescriptions. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT.

Does anyone on the board know whether they are lying?
  2. starmom

starmom New Member

you had to go through this! It is unbelievable!! Can you call your doc afterhours and have them page a doc? Otherwise I have been known to go sit at the dr's office until they get the prescription written. My son was on a drug that can't be refilled for several years. A written scrip is needed each time. They got to know when I walked in that I was going to be a brat until I got what I wanted.

I tapped fingers, brought candy to make all the kids have sticky fingers (drives the ped. offic mgr up the wall!!) and got all the kids to sing songs at times. I also even borrowed a cranky niece one time to go with me.

This also works at the license bureau for tags, renewals, etc....

I figure it is what I had to do to save some of my spoons!!

Susie
  3. starmom

starmom New Member

Complain to the head of the medical practice that you can't reach your doc.

Also look up the CEO of Walgreen's and call him. If the info for hte head office is not on the Walgreen's website, then look at Hoovers Online (google hoovers). The free part of the website will have company officers and the head office contact info. I usually go straight to the head of the company when I have a serious problem like this.

You may be surprised what service you get!

Susie
  4. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I have had Walgreen's do something similar to me; even with 2 refills written they would not refill a script labeled 1 per day 4 days early. No insurance whatsoever, self pay. Sorry, no-can-refill. I use Costco pharmacy where they treat me with compassion. They even stayed late one evening to fill methadone script when I had work problems and called them 10 minutes before they closed. (I was working to save a calf born backwards.)

I am on methadone for pain, and am allowed as per my agreement with doc to use only one pharmacy for pain meds, excepting hospitalization only. I also take klonopin to sleep and when I get the restless wiggles.

I ALWAYS make sure that I have two or three days, at a pinch, medication in a different location in case something is lost or stolen. (I always use last month's bottle and keep meds fresh.) It can take some halving of pills to build a small stash but I do NOT want to play drug withdrawal.

My doctor is also reachable and understanding. If I need to refill methadone a day early because Costco is closed on Sunday, I have checked the date beforehand and I simply trade the Sunday script with my doctor for a Saturday script. He knows the DEA officers personally and they know that he post-dates his scripts sometimes in order to give you time to get the darned paper. Costco pharmacists do not start the sirens and call the police, they fill the script and speak nicely to you. It seems that their pharmacists can figure out that the pharmacy can't fill a script when they are closed!

I also know that I get REALLY cranky if I have drug withdrawal symptoms...

Tibbie