Asked about Traumeel/St Johns Wort

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, Nov 16, 2005.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I emailed the company and asked about taking st johns wort w/antidepresants, etc. I asked if it was so diluted that it wouldn't cause a problem. Here is the response:

Dear Suzanne,

our product Traumeel has St.Johns wort in it, but in a very small amount. Homeopathic medicines are always diluted, that means there is only a small amount of active substance. Normally it will be no problem to take Traumeel, but from the distance we can not say whether any problem occurs in your special case. Please take the advise of your doctor.

Kind regards
    Biologische Heilmittel Heel GmbH

2. QueenieWong

QueenieWong New Member

Hi, I also talked with one of the sales rep's for traumeel. He said the same thing they told you except he told me to try the topical. I am on Lexapro and definetly had a reaction (mentally). I had also talked with my pharmacy and they said St. John's Wort did not mix with traumeel. I did get some relief with my muscle pain, but at this time I'm off the traumeel. It's just kind of scary that the St. John's Wort is listed by another name, so unless you're quite knowelagable you have no idea.

Vicki
  3. suz9601

suz9601 Member

What happened when you took the traumeel? Did you get more depressed? Thanks
  4. QueenieWong

QueenieWong New Member

Yes I got more depressed in just a few days, it was pretty bad. I couldn't figure it out until I saw someone else posting about birth control. I had also quit smoking about the same time. I stopped the Traumeel and in one day felt alot better mentally, but of course more pain in my muscles. The Traumeel did help with my muscle spasms, but not the great results some of the girls were getting.

Vicki
  5. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Sorry it did not work for you. Congrats on quitting smoking that is great. It's been over 3 years for me. Hang in there.
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

I am taking oral contraceptives as a means to control my hormones, as when they fluctuate the fibro flares. I am a much happier, more comfortable, and more functional woman on the oc's.

I just started taking the Traumeel on Monday, and have only noticed good effects. No increased depression, in fact quite the opposite. The decreased pain has improved my mood and outlook quite a lot!

For the record, I also take 20mg Prozac daily, which I hope to be able to stop if the Traumeel continues to work its magic.

From everything I've read about homeopathics, they are pretty much safe to take with pretty much anything.

HOWEVER... if you have worries about it, then talk to a health care provider.

HOWEVER... Keep in mind that 99.99% of all 'regular' doctors will look shocked and act dismayed and disgruntled if you mention homeopathy because they do not understand it and it is not AMA approved.

I would think a naturopathic doctor would be a better choice for information on homeopathics.

I am using both the topical gel and the sublingual tablets. I don't know if my results are from one or the other or the combination of the two. Usually I introduce one variable at a time, but I was a bit desperate this time so I used them both.

So far, so good!

Peace,
    Beth.