Aspartame a neurotoxin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maryl, Jul 21, 2011.

1. maryl

maryl New Member

A friend just told me that aspartame was in my yogurt. Silly me, I thought I had quit that
    long ago. I guess I should have been reading the labels better. I knew it was not good to ingest, but didn't realize it has been linked to lupus and m.s. So, for anyone who didn't know,
    Now you do. Hope you spread the word.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It can cause the death of neurons. I quit my addiction to Diet Coke. I don't actually feel any better except emotionally, knowing I'm not killing my brain.

MSG is in everything, often disguised by other names. It is as deadly as Aspertame.

Now, I'm seeing propolene glycol as an added ingredient. My laxative prep for my colonoscopy was polypropolene glycol. This sounds an awful lot like anti-freeze. I wonder how safe this stuff is. My daughter saw it as an additive in ice cream.

I've stopped eating processed food as much as possible. I've switched to organic things like milk and eggs and only eat meat and poultry which is grain fed and without hormones and ABX. The only fish I now eat is wild caught and flash frozen. I eat no seafood from the Gulf of Mexico. It's a sewer. I eat out once in a blue moon to be sociable but not often. My doc says eating out is one of the worst things one can do.

Sadly, down here in FL, older people eat out a lot or eat processed food for the convenience. The salt content in many convenience foods is sky high. This can't be good for them as so many have high blood pressure.

The good news is that I'm finding a lot more organic food in the regular supermarket at good prices. Used to be that it was very costly. Demand for more natural food is driving the prices down.

Love, Mikie
  3. maryl

maryl New Member

Hi Mikie, Thanx for your reply. We are older people living in Florida, but we live near the east coast so we can get fresh fish more readily. I have made an effort to read more about where the chemicals are in our foods, but my husband, (who has a slight touch of Archie Bunker in him,) thinks these issues are overblown. He does the shopping and cooking, but he does buy the items I ask for and I bought into the Activia hype. He takes good care of me, and respects
    my fibro, mps, spine problems and arthritis. And I try to get him to take care of his diabetes
    and heart, and to cut back on his beer and wine. We just had our 45th anniv. So of course we went out to one of those restaurants he likes. It's hard to change people at this age! But I appreciate hearing about your shopping habits because we can use the good ideas! Thanx
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Happy belated anniversary. Y'all must be doing something right! I am touched by how you look after one another. That could explain the longevity of your marriage.

For soooo long, I kept telling myself that at my age, it doesn't really matter what I eat. After reading about how Aspertame kills the neurons, I quit cold turkey. Who needs that? I am trying to get well enough to start peptide injections for what ails me. MSG is something which should be avoided when taking the shots. After reading about how bad MSG is, I think it should be avoided all the time.

Then I figured, well heck, if I'm giving these things up to get healthier, I might as well go organic and natural when possible. I'm not spending more on groceries. In fact, I think I'm spending less. The organic and natural food tastes better and I'm satisfied with less.

When I was working part time as a cashier at Publix, I would see elderly people buying lots of bananas, a sign that they were probably taking BP meds, and the rest being convenience foods. One bagger and I would check the sodium content of some of these things and we were astounded by the amounts. I don't think they realize that a steady diet of this stuff is horrible. But then, they probably think like I used to--I'm old and just want to enjoy myself. I have to respect that but I wonder just how much they know about processed foods.

Thanks for introducing this topic. You never know just how much the info here may help others.

Love, Mikie
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

This is an excellent documentary about aspartame - chilling, really, about how it was approved by the FDA for mass human consumption despite tons of evidence linking it to brain tumors, etc. It was all politics and money (like everything I guess). It's really worth watching.

You can see it for free on-line if you google, also netflix has it.

6. place

place New Member

I used to drink it in diet drinks. Then in college I started getting headaches and sleeping spells. It was Aspartame. Any time I have it, in gum..drinks.. what ever, get a headache, and fall a sleep if it is in larger quanities and my mouth and throat get ichy and raw.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think it's a hoax. From what I've read, it is virtually impossible to grow bananas without using pesticides. Also, I saw a news investigatory segment in which it was shown that the big companies which grow bananas have to pay "protection money" to the local thugs in the countries where bananas are grown. Of course, we have that here with organized crime so who knows how much more we pay for things because of extortion.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I take Cozaar for high BP and for preventing strokes and heart disease. It actually can cause excess potasium in the body and it's better for me to avoid the bananas but I do love them.

Jam, if the organic bananas taste better, there may be something to it. I know that the other organic produce tastes better. Some don't look as perfect nor as big but they do taste better.

Love, Mikie