Aspartame Fibromyalgia link

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fowlerfab522, Apr 7, 2006.

1. fowlerfab522

fowlerfab522 New Member

I ran across this link tonight and wondered what anyone else thought about the idea that Toxins in the body cause FM.

Let me know.

[This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Sorry, but I didn't go to the link either (not yet anyway - because it's 1:30 am and I'm going to bed!), but I just wanted to state that Aspartame triggers my migraines faster than anything!!! I hate that, too, because that means that I can't drink diet pop, and I'm a diabetic who can't drink the "regular" pop either!! I can only drink sodas that use the Splenda (Diet Rite brand here in the U.S.)
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I don't think it causes FM. FM appears to be hereditary in many cases, maybe an oversensitivity because of our neurological problems? A triggering factor, per say?
  4. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

diet coke makes it with splenda now just have to look close at the package. Sixtyslady
  5. mom4three

mom4three New Member

I never used an of that stuff until very recently and only for like a moment. So no I don't buy it.
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

sweet and low or equal...

so i do not beleive there is a connection w/me or my mother..

7. spurfrog

spurfrog New Member

Aspartame and MSG trigger my migranes and make my Fibro much worse. Both of these things are TOXIC.. I will no longer allow my children to use any product containing either of these. Within hours of having either I can feel a flare coming on. I can't wait to look into this site on sweetpoison. I wouldn't be suprised if there really is a link. Thanks for the info
  8. lorraine50

lorraine50 New Member

I have had Fibro for about 15 yrs. or more. I was drinking diet coke or pepsi and then I was so tired and rarely move about when and why I noticed it I really don't know. But I wondered if it could be the diet drinks, so I went of that type and found here in nf. canada we are only able to get diet crush lime and orange. that has splenda. I started drinking that and have been fine. When I was doing Diet pepsi and coke I really thought I was going to die. I was very weak and getting worse...So i'll stick with this for now...I hate the taste of water, I know people say water doesn't taste believe me it does.. My grandmother was the same. Sometimes i use a little crytal light to take the water taste away...So thanks everyone for the info..
  9. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

They make my symptoms much worse, give me migraines, and make my "normal" husband dumb as a rock.

But does it "cause" fibro- no.
    I was never one to use them before, don't now. I am a water drinker.
  10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Beware of aspartame in cereals also! I've been eating Fiber One for years thinking that I've been doing something very healthy for myself and then noticed that it has aspartame in it. I don't think it "caused" my fibro, but I certainly don't think it's helping anything.

I'm going to replace the Fiber One with a piece of high-fiber bread. I checked the labels of two of the different types of bread that I eat. Both are healthy breads---luckily they don't have aspartame---but one of them, the Natures Own White Wheat Bread with 3 grams of fiber per slice, has high fructose corn syrup in it! I'm very disappointed in the junk that food companies put in our so-called "healthy foods". At least no aspartame though right? ;-)

Have a great day everyone!

11. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Perhaps a myth, but perhaps not....

I continue to see negative information about aspartame and it's connection to fibromyalgia. Is it really the cause of it? Who knows? Fibromyalgia is a very complex illness, that's for sure. In addition, many people here have never consumed aspartame at all, at least to their knowledge (key words "at least to their knowledge"---I didn't think I had!). But perhaps aspartame is aggravating fibromyalgia? Why not quit consuming it if you are using it and find out if you feel better?

Research dollars are not exactly being poured into the negative effects of aspartame, so all we have is anecdotal evidence. I personally wouldn't discount that. Our message board here is the same thing---anecdotal accounts of medical issues. We don't discount that do we?

The food industry is very sneaky and very clever at marketing. I'm very surprised that my "healthy cereal" has aspartame in it.

Dr. Mercola, one of the nation's leading natural health practitioners, warns against aspartame as well:

All the best to everyone here,

12. lyzzy

lyzzy New Member

I didn't go to the link, but I had read an article in a eastern U.S. newpaper about this. I used to drink Pepsi, but that was way back in the day when I could get it in a glass bottle, (dating myself! ) and before aspartme, and the advent of saccharine. I very seldom drink soda's now, and I drink unsweetened tea that I make with tea bags in the frig. I have a weakness tho' for sugar in my coffee and a glass of Koolaid every now and then. I got a large container of Stevia powder and use it instead of the sugar. A teensy tiny bit of it goes a long way, unless you like things very sweet. As for MSG, big time poison for me. Sends me right into a flare.
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

While I am not sure of the connection of toxins causing FM, I get deathly sick if I drink anything with Aspartame or the other artificial sweetners.

About a month ago, I went to a friends house. She had cooked cabbage which was delicious, but I noticed an underflavor which I did not attribute to Splenda. I left early as I had a spliting headache. I rarely get headaches but this is the reaction I get to the artificial sweetners. The next day she mentioned that she had used Splenda.

I don't know if it is related to the FM as it has always bothered me. I think I am just sensitive to it and it does not agree with me.

We are sometimes so sensitive to things.

14. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

if Aspartame is what did this to me. Back in 86, me, my mother, and a close family friend went to a diner. All three of us became severely ill and never fully recovered. That was the beginning of CFIDS/FM in me. Our friend had a miscarriage from whatever got us. I got hit the worst, though. I had internal bleeding and later had to have adhesions surgically removed. My mother ended up with a mild version of CFIDS/FM for the rest of her life. But she also developed other autoimmune problems. All three of us did two things in that diner, one of them was to use lots of the new blue packets of aspartame sweetener in our iced tea. The other was to order extra feta cheese for our greek salads. So it had to have been one of the two, or in our iced teas. Something got us. I was never okay again. And that's when the muscle spasms/fluttering started in me and the stomach problems and the fatigue, immediate intolerance to alcohol, and so on. But I still wasn't full blown CFIDS. I was able to have half a life for several years before the real disabling thing hit me. But I will forever wonder if it started with aspartame.