Aspergillus/MOLD/Gamma Globulin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karenwebber, Jul 16, 2003.

1. karenwebber

karenwebber New Member

Hello, I am new to this board but thank goodness I found it because the topics being covered are so very interesting and full of information.

I have been poisoned by Mold(Aspergillus) and have been sick with CFS for almost 20 years. I am now on cholestyramine and a nasal spray called Sporanox for my aspergillus in my sinuses. I am also IV antibiotics for possible lyme. As you can tell I am sick as a dog and I a housebound and miserable.

My doctor wants to try me on IV Gamma Globulin since I already have the PICC line in for the antibiotics. I have been picking up every infection possible and when I go on treatment (antibiotics and antifungals) nothing works because I have no immune system to take over and finish the fight. So I am basically storing a bunch of infections in me.

I wanted to know if anyone is on IVIG or have you been on it? If so, can you please share your experience? I think I am going to go on 10 grams every three weeks. I am so concerned about it being contaminated. I also am concerned becuase I don't know which brand of IVIG to use. There is Bayer, there is Baxter brand, and many more. I have heard that there are different brands and there are some better then others. Can anyone help shed some light on this please? Thank you, Karen
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

I hope you get a response to your question, but if you don't use the above search button to see if this was discussed before. Find the search message button and type in gamma globulin. You should find some info that way.

And you are right, there is great info on this board. Hope you are feeling much better soon. -Karen
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

Glad you found this message board. It is great. There's so much information on it and so many great people who are always there with a response. Hope you will get as much from it as I have.

I also had/have the mold and aspergillius problems. I was working in a building that was full of it. As soon as I quit, they had the building tested and it was evacuated immediately. I had FM before that, but being in that environment for so long definitely made the FM worse. I didn't know I was allergic to it until I had testing done later.

Dara
  4. HeatherM4

HeatherM4 New Member

Hi Karen this is my first time on this board. After approx. 12 years of being chronically ill I was finally diagnosed with IGG Subclass Deficiency. I have been on the IVIG for approximately a year now. I still take 10 other medications, but I can tell that the IVIG helps. I receive 30 grams every 4 weeks. There are risks of getting hepatitis C, etc. from it, but I didn't feel I had much of a choice. I was becoming immune to every antibiotic out there so they weren't doing much for me. I wanted my life back. It is expensive so make sure insurance covers it.

How were you diagnosed with the Aspergillis Infection? I have often wondered if that is part of my problem.

Well I hope this helps.

Take care, Heather
  5. Hikagranma

Hikagranma New Member

I think I was the first - to be on it at my clinic. Maybe even his first. My GG lab reports were low.

He first tried IM for about 10 months,but was not satisfied w/ the results.

He started out w/ 11gms - and in 2001 - after I had a very severe infection [in Sept.2000] at the site of a 1998 hip fracture - he increased it to 20gms.

He originally gave it to me because I was sick all the time with sinus infections. I would be on 1 antibiotic - and as soon as that was done - some other bacteria 'struck' = and I would have to be put on another. If I had 2 infection free weeks in a year - I waS LUCKY and that would be a day here and a day there.....now I have not been on an antibiotic [except for prevention Mon, Wed & Fri] for at least 6 weeks.
    In the 13 or 14 years that I have been on it - I have had a few mild reactions - which the RNs picked up right away - and they were treated immediately.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Hikagranma