Assistance for home health equipment? need some advice please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Oct 27, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I need some advice on whether there are any agencies or programs that provide assistance to low income patients who need home health equipment (hospital beds, wheelchairs, etc).

My sister had to have spinal surgery, and the insurance company is denying her any assistance for rehab or any of the home equipment she is going to need, because she has used up her allotted funding for the oxygen that she's needed during the past year.

So she is low income, on disability, and we'll need to get her a hospital bed, wheelchair, etc. Are there any groups that could help her get the things she needs?
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Your bio doesn't say where you live, but if you have an Independent Living Center, they may be able to loan some of these items or route you to appropriate sources. I once borrowed a wheelchair for a few weeks when my mother was alive and came for a visit.

Also, check "craigslist" online for your State, and area, and enter the items in their search. You may find some very cheap or free. For example, I live in upstate New York. In the Albany area, under "Free", posted yesterday is a FREE WHEELCHAIR, located in Altamont (not far). They are out there, just tricky to find sometimes. Good luck in your search.
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Wow thank you both so much for all this advise. This is great. I hope I can find someone willing to assist my sister while she is recooperating. I'm so angry at insurance that they won't cover the rental of something so simple, but so neccessary, especially to a patient as in need as she is.

We live in Maryland, so I am looking into local 'independant living' agencies like you suggested also. Hopefully between all these people, we will be able to work something out for her!

It's a really pathetic boat you're in when you have one sister in a Fibro flare, trying to coordinate the medical care of another sister who's had spinal surgery and will have to wear a brace for 6 months. ;P