Assisted shopping carts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tedebear, Jun 12, 2003.

1. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Anyone use the motorized shopping carts when shopping? I feel bad because I do, but I can't make it through the stores without one anymore. Pain doc said I should look into one with the little button on the wheelchair type, since I have hand and arm disabilities as well.
    What a life eh?????
    Soft teddy hugs.
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

You should not feel bad about using an assistive device that you need. I have been using the shopping carts since before I had a dx. I knew I needed one when I thought I was going to pass out after shopping for just a few items.

I have Neurally Mediated Hypotension, which severely limits the amount of time I am able to remain on my feet. Standing in lines is one of the most difficult things for me to do. If I do not use an electric cart my brain fog becomes very bad and I am unable to complete my shopping.

Barbara
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

My counselor wants me to use the electric store carts--she considers it being proactive. She figures if I conserve the energy in shopping, it will give me energy to use for something else or at least keep me from being so wiped out afterwards.

I can't bring myself to use them yet (I'm only 40, fer cripes sake), but I have to wonder if it would help the post-exertional malaise if I actually used them. (It took me two months to start using the elevator at the library, and it helped a lot.)

I just posted in case someone reads this and decides it will help them.
  4. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

I also haven't found the "nerve" to use those shopping carts and I need to do it!
    But I am so darn *&%#@ independent and only 45 I just can't seem to get myself to.
    I always used to stand instead of sit. I hated sitting for very long. Now I can't stand for very long.
    One question-the ones in the grocery stores only have a tiny basket in the front.
    How am I supposed to do my grocery shopping with that? The T.P. alone wouldn't fit!!!
    Ziggy
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Good for you, if you need it use it. My pain is centered in my upper back, chest, and shoulders. The hips, legs, and feet are still working so I don't use the motorized carts.

Plus I have my husband or daughter shop with me. So they do the cart pushing, reaching for the high things, stooping for the low things! Lord your are right 'What a life huh???'.

I don't do much driving or going out alone anymore. If I feel bad, I send my family for what I need. Its not worth going out feeling bad if you don't need too.

I also stay out of Wal-Mart and other warehouse type stores, they tired me out.

I stay with the smaller stores to shop, except for Barns and Nobel, Books-a-Million. I take my time in those bookstores, plus they have carpeted floors and chairs to sit on if you get tired.
    I throw all the books I want to look through in a cart, then go sit and have a coffee and browse through them.

You should not feel bad about using the carts, thats what they are there for. I see many people use them, like ourselves and they don't 'look' sick, but hay, we know you don't have to look sick to be sick, don't we????

You take care, and do what you have to do to be confortable.

Shalom, Shirl

6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

And I had a blast!! I had to use them a year ago when I had two herniated discs and walking on hard store floors would make them spasm, and if you have ever had a disc spasm, you know what I'm talking about. The sudden pain throws you forward, you can't prevent it, and if there's nothing to catch to break your fall, you continue on down to the floor. I decided I didn't want to take the chance, so used the electric cart and I just loved it! I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had to.

Hubby comes with me, and he pushes a regular cart.

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2003]